Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Glenn Frey

Spaceman Spiff

Anybody see the two part documentary The History Of The Eagles?  If you did, how did Frey come off to you?

Him and Henley come across like the jerks they are. Don Felder's book is a good read and starting point. Much of the documentary backs up what Felder had to say in his book. Henley and Frey are a lot like Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley in that they run their bands and have treated others in their respective bands poorly. Gene and Paul had to deal with two drunks and druggies, so their reign of terror in their bands is understandable. 

What I find odd is that Henley and Frey have treated members of the Eagles poorly over the years, but you never hear much about Joe Walsh. Maybe Joe is just that damn cool.

Him and Henley come across like the jerks they are. Don Felder's book is a good read and starting point. Much of the documentary backs up what Felder had to say in his book. Henley and Frey are a lot like Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley in that they run their bands and have treated others in their respective bands poorly. Gene and Paul had to deal with two drunks and druggies, so their reign of terror in their bands is understandable. 

What I find odd is that Henley and Frey have treated members of the Eagles poorly over the years, but you never hear much about Joe Walsh. Maybe Joe is just that damn cool.

Walsh is just that good. After they ran Felder off over a few bucks, keeping Walsh was essential to maintaining credibility. Add in the fact that Walsh was and is a "hired gun" and has a nice nest egg from his solo career and it just makes sense. If Walsh had put his foot down and lawyered up for an even split after Felder left, he would've been shown the door, too. But that would've been a terrible outcome for all involved, so it didn't happen.

BTW, I caught Felder live last year and he was amazing. Dude is absolutely one of the most underrated guitarists of all time. He freaking kills it! Check him out if you get a chance.

Him and Henley come across like the jerks they are. Don Felder's book is a good read and starting point. Much of the documentary backs up what Felder had to say in his book.

I appreciate your honesty.  Not trying to trash the recently departed but I never thought anyone could make Don Henley seem like less of a douchebag...until they interviewed Glenn Frey. Holy **** that guy was full of himself.  A direct quote about doing an Eagles tour - "I’m not gonna do it unless Don [Henley] and I make more money than the other guys." That movie forever changed my opinion of Frey, unfortunately.

I appreciate your honesty.  Not trying to trash the recently departed but I never thought anyone could make Don Henley seem like less of a douchebag...until they interviewed Glenn Frey. Holy **** that guy was full of himself.  A direct quote about doing an Eagles tour - "I’m not gonna do it unless Don [Henley] and I make more money than the other guys." That movie forever changed my opinion of Frey, unfortunately.

You are right. When I read Felder's book, I found some of what he had to say with a grain of salt. Then as I read more about them, saw the documentary, and some of the bickering over the year; it all made sense. Them two are first class jerks. It's hard to say which one was worse. This kind of stuff you can't make up...

From Felder's book:

“The second leg of our box office record-setting tour got underway in Philadelphia in the fall of 1994, but Glenn didn’t show for the sound check. He’d not been well for some time, and we suddenly heard that he’d been admitted to the hospital for surgery. That show and several after it had to be canceled, beginning a sixty-day hiatus.

Don called me in my room after I’d heard the news. “What are we gonna do with this guy?” he asked, exasperated.

“Well, I’m trying to help him by visualization,” I said, my eyes closed. “I’m sending Glenn soothing thoughts in a healing white light all around him.” I knew from personal experience how painful his condition could be, and I felt genuine sympathy. I sent him a telegram wishing him luck,” and he sent me one back saying, “That’s the stuff.”

Don was less sympathetic. “You’re wasting your time,” he snapped. “They’re treating the wrong end of that a**hole.”

Now I'm conflicted and can't decide who was the bigger jerk, but they could write some great tunes. They do deserve that credit.

Now I'm conflicted and can't decide who was the bigger jerk, but they could write some great tunes. They do deserve that credit.

^^This. Sometimes, the people we idolize for doing great things in one arena are total dick holes in life. It doesn't take away from the talent or other things they've done. So yeah they were jerks, but they put out some damn good music over the years.

Archived