Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ordering off menu at ethnic restaurants

Elessar78

Ever order off menu? We took some clients out recently and they picked this Indian restaurant. They waved away the menu and just asked for certain dishes. It was delicious. 

Given special circumstances, one can order something off menu at, say, Chilis if they have the ingredient and willing manager. Even at a McDs or Starbucks you can do this.

How common is this practice? Is it available to any customer or do you have to have some rapport with the proprietor?

When we travel for work in Italy, we sometimes end up in smaller towns and we go into some places with no menu. The waiter just chats up the customer and tells them what ingredients they have in the back and the customer asks for something and they go make it. It's an interesting dynamic. 

If I don't order off menu I dont' know what to eat :| 

The menu directs me what options are available and what I can eat there

The most popular case is probably that hidden menu at In N Out where you can get your fries animal style. But other than that I don't really have knowledge of any HIDDEN SECRETS and I order what is typical. In the case of an Indian Restaurant it would be Chicken Tikka Masala or some kind of Biryani. 

------------

Edit come to think of it I recall ordering salmon off a menu which wasn't listed (it was a burger option but it was not listed) so that counts. Also salad is not listed either but they'll make it for you if you let them know. So the answer is yes, but I would prefer being told what is available so I can choose. 

I ordered coq au vin at the local Dunkin Donuts and it wasn't anything to write home about. At least not in a positive manner.

Actually - we do sometimes go off-menu at a local Taiwanese restaurant to satisfy my wife's requirements limited to a handful of particular ingredients.

Do it all the time!

One time I was in the Islands on a sailboat and this tattooed vegan hipster told us about his menu and it's animal free ingredients.

I told him to get the f outta here and go make me a steak.

now you know why I want touch screen to evolve into punch screen.

I'm not a hipster.

If I don't order off menu I dont' know what to eat :|

The menu directs me what options are available and what I can eat there

The most popular case is probably that hidden menu at In N Out where you can get your fries animal style. But other than that I don't really have knowledge of any HIDDEN SECRETS and I order what is typical. In the case of an Indian Restaurant it would be Chicken Tikka Masala or some kind of Biryani.

------------

Edit come to think of it I recall ordering salmon off a menu which wasn't listed (it was a burger option but it was not listed) so that counts. Also salad is not listed either but they'll make it for you if you let them know. So the answer is yes, but I would prefer being told what is available so I can choose.

that's what the menu is for. It's the best dishes that can be made for you. It's not an ingredient list

I think it depends on the restaurant. I know many ethnic restaurants have their "american" menu, things that american's will most liekly order. But they also can cook other food native to that country that may be popular in their culture, so I think you have to know what a specific ethnic food for them to make it. When I lived in DC, my Ethiopian GF would order for us all the time and I swear what she would order for us was not on the menu. 

I think it depends on the restaurant. I know many ethnic restaurants have their "american" menu, things that american's will most liekly order. But they also can cook other food native to that country that may be popular in their culture, so I think you have to know what a specific ethnic food for them to make it. When I lived in DC, my Ethiopian GF would order for us all the time and I swear what she would order for us was not on the menu.

This is it.

I've worked the restaurant industry for a while.

ah man so you mean when i venture out of the typical stuff at Chinese restaurants i'm still ordering off the american menu?

damn. i should look for a guide to ordering authentic. we have an awesome place in town and they're great people.

ah man so you mean when i venture out of the typical stuff at Chinese restaurants i'm still ordering off the american menu?

damn. i should look for a guide to ordering authentic. we have an awesome place in town and they're great people.

When I go to Chinese restaurants I occasionally will order off-menu, or "O-M" as my circle of friends call it.  If you have the right chef, you can get him to do the KFC boneless wings with the Tibetan aunt Jemima syrup, with a touch of the mango flavoring and some farm-to-table chilies mixed in.  Start it all off with some fried South China Sea shrimp stuffed hot pockets, infused with shredded lettuce/carrots (make sure the shrimp, lettuce, and shredded carrots are arranged "Feng Shui").  Then end it all with the Ming Dynasty classic-- ice cream cones folded into hollow triangles, which when broken reveal ancient Confucian truisms scrolled on papyrus.

Depends on the place.

I order off menu at certain places, for certain things.

Just depends. Calamari at Ruths Chris.

Think about it this way...how many places have a whiskey sour on the drink menu ? Yet, if they have the ingredients...it's easy to make.

Not a big deal to make it.

Depends on the place.

I order off menu at certain places, for certain things.

Just depends. Calamari at Ruths Chris.

Think about it this way...how many places have a whiskey sour on the drink menu ? Yet, if they have the ingredients...it's easy to make.

Not a big deal to make it.

Lol alcoholic drinks and food items are two completely different games

how is ordering off menu pretentious and dbag like?

i mean I see how a person could do it in that way, but to write off the entire practice that way?

are you the people that order sweet and sour chicken or beef and broccoli from Chinese restaurants?

(I actually really like sweet and sour chicken but not with the sour sauce, instead the hot and spicy mustard, that's awesome)

When I go to Chinese restaurants I occasionally will order off-menu, or "O-M" as my circle of friends call it.  If you have the right chef, you can get him to do the KFC boneless wings with the Tibetan aunt Jemima syrup, with a touch of the mango flavoring and some farm-to-table chilies mixed in.  Start it all off with some fried South China Sea shrimp stuffed hot pockets, infused with shredded lettuce/carrots (make sure the shrimp, lettuce, and shredded carrots are arranged "Feng Shui").  Then end it all with the Ming Dynasty classic-- ice cream cones folded into hollow triangles, which when broken reveal ancient Confucian truisms scrolled on papyrus.

This is good posting. 

how is ordering off menu pretentious and dbag like?

i mean I see how a person could do it in that way, but to write off the entire practice that way?

are you the people that order sweet and sour chicken or beef and broccoli from Chinese restaurants?

(I actually really like sweet and sour chicken but not with the sour sauce, instead the hot and spicy mustard, that's awesome)

no.  chinese food is avoided at all costs.

Not really. If you have the ingredients...you can make the order fairly easily.

u see no difference between pouring a drink a making a meal?

especially something as basic as an amaretto sour. 

bar and kitchen menus are different.   most bars don't have a menu of every drink they offer because that would be stupid.

Archived