Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the best Redskins team since 91?

skinfan2k

There are 4  other teams in this discussion.  

1999 Redskins led by Brad Johnson

2005 Redskins led by Portis, Moss Cooley

2007 Redskins led by Todd Collins and Sean Taylors Soul

2012 RG3 and Alfred Morris

2015 Kirk Cousins and Jordan Reed

Why do i say this?  This team looks in the best position to continue success for more than 1 season. I know its early but this team is led by a mastermind GM, who gets scraps off the street and has them playing at a high level.  I can name a number of young players who will be players for the foreseeable future.  This team is the healthiest out of the those teams.  

If not, please let me know why.  I think this can led to a good debate.

Don't forget the 1992 team. They went downhill after that but still at times played like the 91 team and won a playoff game. This 2015 team, individually, is probably in middle of the pack of playoff teams mentioned, but agree with some this one has long term potential.

Obviously we must compare what is true now to what was true at the end of the given season in the seasons past.

1999 -- Many picks

2012 -- RG3 was dominating, the running game was all but unstoppable, no cap penalty on the horizon and the defense, while still awful, did make plays when they were needed.

2005 -- Gibbs team was on a roll. Sean Taylor who'd at worst be winding down a HOF career? A young Chris Cooley? A young Santana Moss? While the o-line was aging, the only high pick was in his prime. We didn't really know that JC would be a bust and Carlos Rogers actually looked decent.

2015 -- Cousins is a free agent who had a great year in a contract year. Where is the running game? Overall, the offense is not as good as last years but is better in areas that count big. The defense still sucks but is improved, especially in the area of points allowed. We may have a long-term coach of the future and finally seem to have an answer at GM.

2007 -- The Sean Taylor event and the realization that JC would almost certainly be a bust along with an aging Portis made this team seem to be a lesser version of what it should have been.

Heck, I may even put both 1998 and 1995 above 2015 and 2007 as far as my future expectations though obviously not by records. By the way, 1995 preceded the last time we had back to back winning seasons and 1998 preceded a string of 3 non-losing seasons. 2007 was also the first non-losing year the last time we had back to back non-losing seasons.

I think Kirk is more reliable than Todd Collins but we also had some injury issues in 2007.

Landry was playing well in 2007 and we had some other good defensive pieces.

2005 was a potentially SB winning year if Brunell's knee didn't get cheap-shotted vs. the Giants or if Gibbs had gone with Ramsey who could at least complete normal passes at the end of that year.

Oddly enough, 2012 was also a potential SB winning year if not for QB injury.

Wait, 1999 Brad Johnson's "arm died" and it helped make him much less effective than he was in the beginning of that year but that team could have beaten anyone in the league that year, no doubt.

This might be our year?

One comfort I take is that unlike many other playoff teams, we actually had really good teams in most of those years but QB issues/injuries are what stopped us.

I think the 2005 team was the most talented since 1991. But the key position QB was poor. The defense of the 2005 team was also full of playmaers. This defense is more of a decent UNIT. If Cousins continues the way he is playing we will be good for years to come. He has played at an ELITE level over the past 9 games. The future is bright for our franchise.

It's really hard to say but I would have to go with this team because the 2015 Redskins aren't a finished product. The 1999 Redskins were way more talented but they were the result of over four years of rebuilding. Scot hasn't even rearranged the furniture at his office at Redskins Park and he already has them in the playoffs, after two years of some of the worst football in team history. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year but we've exceeded expectations and won the NFC East, with our QB putting up numbers with the likes of Redskins greats such as Theismann, Jurgensen, Rypien, etc. I know the rest of the division was bad plus Romo was out most of the season for Dallas but we still had to content with a Giants team that has owned us for the last few years and a Philly team whose offense was supposed to be among the NFL's best. As for 2005 that was a pretty good team too but it was a team built more to win now, our QB play from that year wasn't even close to the season Cousins has had so far, plus the Joe Gibbs factor helped as well. The 2015 team was a project and had an unproven coach whose head most people wanted on a stick earlier this season who was able to bring this team together for a playoff run. If we can somehow keep our core players together and let Scot do his thing, no doubt in my mind we will be competing for a Superbowl in the near future.

I think the 05 team was better. Even at 5-6 advanced metrics suggested they were a playoff team that hit some bad luck(5 of our 6 losses were just brutal last second types that could have easily been wins). If Brunell's arm doesn't fall off they probably make the Super Bowl.

07 was like a worse version of the 07 team but with better QB play at the end with the lightning out of the bottle Collins.

99 had a great offense in the 1st half of the season but they wore down as the season went out and the D was bad.

12 was mostly RG3 playing brilliantly. Without him that team probably wins 3 games.

I would put this years team as 2nd best behind the 05 team. I know we won't finish better then 9-7 which is fewer wins then 12 and 99 but I think the team right now is playing better football then their record would suggest.

Honest question: have we beaten a good team yet this year?

I'm thrilled by their performance and look forward to what this team has in store for us, but the answer is a resounding no.

Good is kind of a relative term.

We had some bad luck that all the "good" teams we played were on the road, and in very tough circumstances.

@ Jets coming off a bye, @ Pats when they were coming off 10 days(albeit we were coming off a bye but I mean who wins at Foxboro?), and of course @ Panthers who are a juggernaut.

Falcons stink now but when we played them again in their house they were undefeated and it was an OT loss.

One could argue that the Rams and Saints were good teams at the time we played them. Everyone was on the Rams nuts with them beating the Seahawks in the opener. Saints were pretty hot having won 3/4 before we stomped them.

Bills were in playoff contention when we beat them. Ditto the Giants and Eagles. Their records may not have been great but that's just the nature of the NFL this year, most teams are at or below .500 seemingly.

Its hard to put the 2015 up there with other playoff teams we've had because we cannot run the ball save our life.  They may have the most upside of any of our recent playoff teams, but in serious danger of getting knocked out first round.

Ask me after the Seattle game (I know its not set, but it just feels destined to play out that way).

I think this is our most talented offense in decades, I know this team is better than 2012.  Robert didnt have too many weapons that year with Garcon being out a majority of the games, yes we had a better running game but its a passing league and we won the division because we can pass.

Those older teams couldn't throw the rock like this team can.

I think this is our most talented offense in decades, I know this team is better than 2012. Robert didnt have too many weapons that year with Garcon being out a majority of the games, yes we had a better running game but its a passing league and we won the division because we can pass.

Those older teams couldn't throw the rock like this team can.

agreed... best passing team of those listed

Let's see how we do in the playoffs.  For me, the most encouraging thing is this team unlike some of the others is built for long-term success.  This Redskins team is young and hungry and only going to get better.  I do like that we already have a division crown, but for me that's just the beginning.  

The 2005 team, if Randy Thomas hadn't broken his leg and Brunell hadn't gimped, would've won the Super Bowl.  I have no doubts about that.  They were 10-2 in the conference (which was bull**** because HIS ELBOW WAS DOWN in the Bucs game) and just were unstoppable in the second half of the season.

The 2012 team could've been in the Super Bowl, too, if not for Ngata.  ****ing Baltimore.

I hope the 2015 team makes me look like the ultimate absolute ****ing moron for predicting that RGIII would lead us to 4 wins this year.

Archived