Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Congratulations to big Ryan Kerrigan

Koolblue13

http://was.247sports.com/Bolt/Redskins-Ryan-Kerrigan-joins-elite-group--42017236

Washington Redskins outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan joined some elite company in Sunday’s win over the Chicago Bears.

Kerrigan’s sack of Jay Cutler put him at 7.5 on the season.

The former Purdue star joins DeMarcus WareJared Allen, Derrick Thomas, and Reggie White as the only players that have started their careers with at least 7.5 sacks per season over their first five.

CSN Mid-Atlantic’s Chick Hernandez asked Kerrigan how it feels to be among such elite company?

“It’s cool,” said Kerrigan. “I mean, to hear your name with those names is pretty cool, but it was even cooler winning today.

“I’ll take a win over a sack any day.”

Hasn't had the best year, after signing a new long term contract, but to be listed with some of the absolute greatest sack masters of all time and he will most likely be a Redskin for his entire career. That's huge. We often talk about building our core and we're seeing guys who we hope will be part of it for the long run, but resigning Ryan, as well as Trent long term says a heck of a lot for this FO. They made no mistakes and kept this elite player in house.

So, cheers to you Ryan, being the 5th player on a list of sure thing HoF sack masters.

First half of the season was rough, he was no where to be found. But the second half he has really come on.

3.5 sacks through 9 games, 4 sacks in the last 4 games. Hopefully he can keep up that pace to end the season, would definitely be a help.

He had a lot of injuries. Had surgery too. I think a lot of people would have missed a lot of time.

That's quite a list.  Not concerned about his slow start this year, the guy was obviously hurt.  But he gutted it out and was on the field to try and help his teammates.  I'm hoping we get to see him and Galette get after QBs next year.  That would be fun.

Kerrigan is as good on and off the field as any player we've ever had.  

That's quite a list.  Not concerned about his slow start this year, the guy was obviously hurt.  But he gutted it out and was on the field to try and help his teammates.  I'm hoping we get to see him and Galette get after QBs next year.  That would be fun.

Kerrigan is as good on and off the field as any player we've ever had.  

Yep. I believe this team will eventually see great continuous success and Ryan is the kind of player we talk about forever and we get to witness his rise. It's pretty special.

You don't make lists with Derrick Thomas and Reggie White, if you're not a special player. Think about the players not on this list. Bruce Smith, Eric Greene, Lawrence Taylor.

Kerrigan is a very special player, both on and off the field.

Yep. I believe this team will eventually see great continuous success and Ryan is the kind of player we talk about forever and we get to witness his rise. It's pretty special.

You don't make lists with Derrick Thomas and Reggie White, if you're not a special player. Think about the players not on this list. Bruce Smith, Eric Greene, Lawrence Taylor.

Kerrigan is a very special player, both on and off the field.

To be fair, LT started playing before all of them, and changed the position. Even if he's not on this list, many LB owes him everything right now.

But that's one heck of a list to be in. And the fact that our D is way better lately is no coincidence that Kerrigan has been playing way better.

I think the team and Kerrigan would have been better if he'd taken at least the first two games off.

Nobody would know about that. And, it's up to the player and the team to find out. And as critical as I've been about his play earlier in the season, having a General like him on the field helps a lot in teaching the youngsters how to play defense.  He's at least leading by example, even if he's not putting up numbers.

To be fair, LT started playing before all of them, and changed the position. Even if he's not on this list, many LB owes him everything right now.

But that's one heck of a list to be in. And the fact that our D is way better lately is no coincidence that Kerrigan has been playing way better.

That's true. Stats are funny and it's really hard to measure different players with using them. The league is a more passing league. FA era changed a lot too. Almost every player stayed on the same team, so a DE could have a certain LTs number and play that team twice a year, every year. Now, those guys could be on different teams every other year.

Another reason for his slow start may be due to a change in the defense.

Kerrigan used to be a LOLB, but in Barry's defense he's a WLB. Which means he is constantly switching sides, and plays against the opposing Left Tackle a lot more.

He's obviously good enough to do this, but it must take a bit of time to make the switch.

Archived