Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Today's **** coaches

Apache21

Does anyone remember the day when you'd make a huge mistake, as DeSean Jackson did with his astronomically bonehead play running backwards to the 2, and eventually fumbling, that players were reprimanded by coaches? Back in the day if you made a maneuver like that you would've been benched. Not 1 coach.... Not ONE, even said a word to DeSean. Is this the state of the NFL today? Just a bunch of whiny ****es that need to be coddled? Is that why these players aren't benched anymore when they make idiotic plays?

Good lord. Can we move on from the Desean Jackson ****??? It's tiring, and it hasn't even been 24 hours since the game. I bet everyone was prasing him for his TD. If we had won, everyone would not even be talking about the fumble, they would be talking about the TD he caught.

Also, Desean knows he messed up. Cutting him would do NO good, with 4 games left in a tight NFC east division race. Andre Roberts can't do ****. Pierre garçon doesn't score TDs for us anymore. Cutting Desean Jackson after last nights mistake would only hurt us.

Yah I remember when Gibbs benched Rypien for throwing 5 INTs against the Bears! Because that was back in the day, you know.

Actually that didn't happen. The benching I mean. The 5 INTs in one game by Rypien did.

Rather than close this thread let's all just post examples of times "back in the day" when a coach didn't bench a player for screwing up

Doubt it will change the OPs mind but it will be amusing for the rest of us

Yah I remember when Gibbs benched Rypien for throwing 5 INTs against the Bears! Because that was back in the day, you know.

Actually that didn't happen. The benching I mean. The 5 INTs in one game by Rypien did.

Rather than close this thread let's all just post examples of times "back in the day" when a coach didn't bench a player for screwing up

The bonehead of bonehead plays;

1991.  Brian Mitchell. Taking a kick-off and kneeling with 1 foot in and 1 foot in the endzone, then realizing he goofed up right before he was drilled. But he made up for it later, luckily.

Good lord. Can we move on from the Desean Jackson ****??? It's tiring, and it hasn't even been 24 hours since the game. I bet everyone was prasing him for his TD. If we had won, everyone would not even be talking about the fumble, they would be talking about the TD he caught.

Also, Desean knows he messed up. Cutting him would do NO good, with 4 games left in a tight NFC east division race. Andre Roberts can't do ****. Pierre garçon doesn't score TDs for us anymore. Cutting Desean Jackson after last nights mistake would only hurt us.

I didn't think it was possible to do, but I disagree with pretty much every word you typed. I'd go into specifics, big I don't want to derail the OP,s incoming swarm,

Regarding the OP's post, look at it this way; IF, Gruden or whoever decides to fine/penalize him, every player on the team will never think about trying to make a play; they will play safe conservative football, which is what losing teams do. No player will consider taking a chance, knowing a fine or punishment will be coming if they fail.

They can't rely on other teams to make mistakes and capitalize on them; we'll never win anything.

This is so dumb. No coach in NFL history would cut a player of Jackson's caliber after one screw up. They wouldn't even bench them. You don't bench your best player after one screw up.

McNabb and Lavar says "hello."

We didn't lose the game because of DJax. We lost the game because the whole team did. The coach can't put blame on one person when the whole team was at fault. The missed kick, the non-touch back, the inability of the special team to take down a player before he gets 44 yards first to close the game. There was no guarantee that if Djax didn't fumble that we would score on that drive. If his play had worked then you would have been the 1st one to put him on a pedestal. 

But I will play the "back in the day" - actually I couldn't remember anything. But you might like this instead though:

http://deadspin.com/the-16-worst-coaches-in-modern-nfl-history-512701096

So you see no one is perfect. I am already ready for the Bears game! :)

The incredulous thread streak is in tact!

Yes, Gruden should've even gone so far as to banish him to the locker room ala Vernon Davis, I mean what was he thinking!?!?! Why would you put your best deep threat in the game? Why attempt to tie the game? So many questions...... :rolleyes:

I think it was obvious that he owned up to it by his body language. In the heat of the moment I wanted to 'cut his ass' too. But it's Wednesday. I put that on Gruden just as much as DJAX, didn't he bobble a punt last week? Situational Football at its worst. 

Ok. Cool. It was my opinion. You have your own opinion.

Thanks for the permission to formulate my own opinion. However, discussion forums are for discussion. So we share them. Don't like someone disagreeing with yours? Don't post it.

McNabb and Lavar says "hello."

Can't speak about Lavar because that was before my time watching them, but McNabb wasn't benched for just one mistake. He was mediocre the entire season, and continued to be mediocre after getting a massive extension. Grossman is more equivalent with his four interception Eagles game, but he was throwing interceptions all season and was out with an illness when our lord and savior John Beck took the reigns.

The OP is not so far off base. He makes the sensible football play and we drive down and win. No need to jump all over him and the reply that "Well DeSean scored a TD to make up for it" No. That doesnt make up for it. It was a bad move and he should get some stern warning. Hope that carelessness doesnt pop up again.

Skins / Giants, Monday night, back 15-20 years ago, I think it was Westbrook who made a sideline catch with little time remaining, and an unsportsmanlike conduct was thrown on him for something which took us out of FG range. Back in my drinking days, so its foggy.

Mr. Fair catch A.R.E.

Whoever signed Rex Grossman and thought he'd be worthy. That guy needs an open-handed **** slap across the mouth.

Remember in 1989 when Gerald Riggs had essentially iced the game against Philly with a long run only to fumble the ball away on one of his next carries? We ended up losing a second-straight home divisional game to start the season when the Eagles scored a couple plays later.

Not only did Riggs still end up leading the team in carries and yards that season (no immediate punishment), but he had a role on our Super Bowl team under Gibbs two years later (no eventual punishment even after it became clear that idiotic fumble cost us a playoff berth that the Eagles took by finishing a game ahead of us). 

Skins / Giants, Monday night, back 15-20 years ago, I think it was Westbrook who made a sideline catch with little time remaining, and an unsportsmanlike conduct was thrown on him for something which took us out of FG range. Back in my drinking days, so its foggy.

Mr. Fair catch A.R.E.

Whoever signed Rex Grossman and thought he'd be worthy. That guy needs an open-handed **** slap across the mouth.

Yep - it was a Sunday night game I think. Already in FG range, a sideline catch by Westbrook was (correctly) ruled incomplete and he lost his **** and ripped off his helmet. That led to a 15-yard penalty taking us out of FG range and eventually leading to a 7-7 tie in a game we needed to catch up to New York. 

Oddly, it was the same game that Frerotte knocked himself out of by headbutting an end zone wall. Hosteteler had to take over and ultimately threw 3 interceptions in a little more than a half. 

So, after remembering that game, I guess there were critical divisional games that we tried to lose even harder than this one. 

Remember in 1989 when Gerald Riggs had essentially iced the game against Philly with a long run only to fumble the ball away on one of his next carries? We ended up losing a second-straight home divisional game to start the season when the Eagles scored a couple plays later.

Boy do I...Riggs had like 215 yards that game too...

/221 yrds

Archived