Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First Place In The NFC East - CHECK. Welcome To Dallas Week

TK

Fridays best moment in the rivalry video is a double. 2012 was one of the most exciting years for me as a Redskins fan. I was not happy with the drafting of RG3. But the guy proved me wrong in a big way. I ate my crow and was glad to do so. I was so happy that the 2012 draft had finally solved our decades of pathetic QB play. And that was solidified to me by RG3's play on Thanksgiving day. We had drafted our QB for the next 10+ years. Ironically. That may have become true in the end. Just not the way we expected. So 2012's Thanksgiving and Division clinching dismantling of the Cowboys by RG3:

Redskins have trouble in prime time or nationally televised games.  But I think their best record in those situations may b against the Cowboys

Skins are horrible at home on MNF at FedEX, winning only two Monday night games there.......the first ever one against Dallas in 97, and one against the Giants in 2012 during the seven-game run.

I think tonight will be #3.

Man oh man...where to begin. 

The barrage of special teams gaffes in the 4th quarter was something out of 2013/14. Four times in the final 7 minutes our special teams gave the Cowboys the upper hand (the Hopkins miss, the Jackson ridiculous return/fumble, the short kickoff following our tying score, and the horrible coverage on that kick). 

The offensive ineptitude was mind-boggling. Dallas dictated that entire game when our offense was on the field. Cousins really struggled to diagnose what the D was doing and didn't look great even when we got into the correct plays. I liked the game-tying drive, but there wasn't much else to be happy about on offense. At some point, we need to simply abandon the run and get creative. 

We took advantage of NO opportunities handed to us. Three times we forced close-call fumbles and recovered them all. We also got a huge break when McFadden scored that TD (we somewhat took advantage of that by scoring, but it was short-lived). In fact, the fact that McFadden touched that ball on that drive after fumbling twice and running out of bounds on the first play of that drive was a gift. Cassel couldn't hit anyone for the first quarter or two of the game. He settled down a little, but we lost a game where they had virtually no passing game and our D played well. 

So many times I thought we had control of that game. When we got the last fumble already leading 9-6, I truly thought that we were going to finally break through and take a "commanding" 10-point lead. Also, right before the punt to Jackson, I was relieved that we could dictate the final 2 minutes and either get into FG range or go to OT. Ugh. 

If there's any silver lining, it's that my instinct with this team appears to be intact. I was so uneasy about this game all week. I just didn't envision going to be happy last night. I guess 30+ years of following the Redskins (with the last 20+ being pretty disastrous) have conditioned me to expect these types of performances. 

Archived