Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

That almost happened to a friend of mine.  He's of Indian descent and was in a border town for work.  He went for a run after work and left his ID in his hotel room (very stupid for running-safety-related reasons, but that's not the point of this story-- there's no law in America that requires you to carry ID on you at all times).

Anyways, he speaks perfect English, is highly educated, and was clearly in running gear but the border folks didn't care. Somehow he managed to convince them not to take him anywhere and they eventually let him go, but I really have to wonder a reason to suspect he was here illegally that didn't involve the color of his skin.

1 hour ago, SkinInsite said:

All brown ppl look the same I guess, or there's a lot of Indians coming through the Mexican border illegally.

There actually is a mini-surge of Indian people trying to enter the US through Mexico, but few of them speak perfect English with an American accent and cross 50 miles of desert with running gear and then go for a casual evening jog.

What America would look like with zero immigration

Opinion by Justin Gest

During four years in office, President Donald Trump reduced immigration admissions in every way that American law makes possible without congressional approval -- cutting refugee numbers, deporting law-abiding members of American citizens' families and then finally halting all entry to the US amid the pandemic for a period before blocking the issuance of new green cards. In 2020, virtually zero migration was no longer just a thought experiment; it was, at least for a period of time, policy.

As the US government now grapples with a backlog of asylum-seekers and immigrants at the southern border, a team of economists, demographers and I modeled

what America would be like if those earlier policies were to continue hereafter. Commissioned by the bipartisan immigration advocacy group FWD.us, our independent research used the most recent US Census and economic data to project the outcomes of a variety of different policy scenarios -- one that cuts immigration to zero as Trump effectively did in 2020; one that cuts immigration admissions in half; one that extends recent levels; one that increases recent levels by 50%; and one that doubles recent levels.

The general trend in our modeling is clear: the more immigrants, the merrier.

In short, if immigration remained at near-zero levels, within decades, the country could be older, smaller and poorer. But if the US government welcomed more newcomers, within decades, the country could be younger, more productive and richer.

Click on the links for more

WATCH: Stephen Miller Tells Fox News That He’s Suing Joe Biden Over Illegal Immigration

When Joe Biden took office in January, he inherited a number of different messes. The biggest, of course, was the COVID-19 pandemic. Now over 200 million Americans have been vaccinated and shots are freely available.

There is also a situation at the US/Mexico border where many are seeking asylum. While Conservative talking heads have claimed that this began with Biden, it had started under the Trump administration.

Trump flak Stephen Miller is desperate to detract from Biden’s successes. And on Thursday night, he announced that he and Texas AG Ken Paxton are suing Joe Biden.

Miller explained to Tucker Carlson, “I’m working with attorney general Ken Paxton who is a true patriot and we should all be grateful to him, to sue the Biden administration on behalf of the people of Texas for flooding their estate with untested, Covid infected illegal immigrants.

Click on the link for the full article and video

15 minutes ago, China said:

Miller explained to Tucker Carlson, “I’m working with attorney general Ken Paxton who is a true patriot and we should all be grateful to him, to sue the Biden administration on behalf of the people of Texas for flooding their estate with untested, Covid infected illegal immigrants.

Tell Texas to just say no, and stop hiring them. 

I have been beating the financial advantages for more immigration for years now.  Our future, not unlike our past, is dependant on immigrants. We are llucky to have the only industrialized country with a young workforce on our border to the South.  To the extent we can, we should bring some of their younger workforce into our country. 

Ours is a country formed by fairly recent immigration.  I say recent because ours is comparatively young country and many of its citizens have lineage that traces back to one or more of the immigration booms (think slaves at first, then Irish or  Korean or...).

• Like 3

Love it @gbear

I really wish Democrats were more forceful about the benefits of immigration. Like instead of throwing out generalities about "taking the jobs nobody wants," make it super clear. "You see Dr. Patel in Podunk, Alabama? He didn't take someone's doctor job.  It turns out that literally nobody born in the US wants to go through 8 years of college and 3 years of residency just to move to your town.  But Dr. Patel is willing to immigrate here to do it.  So be grateful he wants to move here, and let's keep investing in keeping this a country that future Dr. Patels want to move to, or else resign yourself to the fact that Podunk, Alabama will be that much more unliveable once you fix immigration and can't get a decent doctor."

• Like 1