Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Count me in as someone who think that this is Trump's way to assert power and continue to divide the two parties in this nation.  The more that people condemn him, the harder that his supporters will defend him.

This is a stunt.

True, but his disapproval is above 50% at this point, only 8 days in (which is a record many times over).  I think the segment of the population that loves him will find itself smaller than it thinks, probably about 35% of the voting public, or about 20% of the total population.  If a truly impeachable offense rises to the surface, the division may be harsh, but it won't be enough to protect him.

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I don't think that this is Trump, I think it's Bannon. He knows that 35-40% of the voting public will support all of these things no matter what. 

Whatever.  It's Trump's name on it.  He isn't dumb.  If he's letting a white nationalist influence and dictate his policy then he has no one to blame but himself.  Trump is perfectly capable of painting a narrative though. If there's anything he has experience in, it's shaping public perception.

His 30%, these loyal supporters, they're not going to stand for these protests every day for much longer.  They're going to fight back soon enough.  Then it gets ugly.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I don't think that this is Trump, I think it's Bannon. He knows that 35-40% of the voting public will support all of these things no matter what. 

Well, we are talking about somebody whose claim to fame is the ability to manufacture hate and fear, by creating fake crises, who now has the power to create real crises.  

• Like 2

We have a white supremacist sitting on the NSC. You know that white supremacists are Nazis by another name.

The Republican states are already crafting laws against the peaceful congregation of citizens, which will lead to mass arrests of protesters. I'm sure protest groups are being infiltrated by agitators like always happens. The agitators will create violence during protests at some point.

It's not out of the question, but  question of when. Organizers must be vigilant about agitators.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

All those nice educated people who voted for Trump/Republicans, what do you think now? 

What are you going to think/do when the Brown Shirts start arresting and shooting people for no reason?

Unfortunately Jumbo silenced those folks.  Gotta keep the conversation in here amongst   You are either a member of the "rainbow family" or ya get ganked.

2 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

True, but his disapproval is above 50% at this point, only 8 days in (which is a record many times over).  I think the segment of the population that loves him will find itself smaller than it thinks, probably about 35% of the voting public, or about 20% of the total population.  If a truly impeachable offense rises to the surface, the division may be harsh, but it won't be enough to protect him.

You'd hope so.  What Republican is going to impeach Trump though?  We can't even get them to vote "no" on Devos.  They're largely his puppets at this point.

1 minute ago, Miss Manley said:

Unfortunately Jumbo silenced those folks.  Gotta keep the conversation in here amongst   You are either a member of the "rainbow family" or ya get ganked.

I wonder what banned poster you are...

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Whatever.  It's Trump's name on it.  He isn't dumb.  If he's letting a white nationalist influence and dictate his policy then he has no one to blame but himself.  Trump is perfectly capable of painting a narrative though. If there's anything he has experience in, it's shaping public perception.

His 30%, these loyal supporters, they're not going to stand for these protests every day for much longer.  They're going to fight back soon enough.  Then it gets ugly.

I'm not absolving Trump of any blame, I just think Trump is an empty suit when it comes to all this. 

Apparently the EO allows for exceptions to be made, which will allow the people who assisted or worked with our military to still get into the country

“Secretaries of State and Homeland Security may, on a case-by-case basis, and when in the national interest, issue visas or other immigration benefits to nationals of countries for which visas and benefits are otherwise blocked.” 

It obviously allows for more than that, but the popular tweets earlier were about people who worked with the military not being allowed in.

Edited by tshile

42 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

The Federal law enforcement people like the border protection police who are ignoring and styming court orders, probably because they fear that they might be fired or perhaps they like Trump and his EOs.

While I tire of your commentary, my wife and I actually had to have a conversation about where the line would be regarding which orders I would follow and which I wouldn't.  Can you blame some of these people for not ditching their retirement over this?  I can't. 

1 minute ago, Miss Manley said:

That's not fair.  I'm still here.  TWA, Kilmer, and many others all still here.

9 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

We have a white supremacist sitting on the NSC. You know that white supremacists are Nazis by another name.

The Republican states are already crafting laws against the peaceful congregation of citizens, which will lead to mass arrests of protesters. I'm sure protest groups are being infiltrated by agitators like always happens. The agitators will create violence during protests at some point.

It's not out of the question, but  question of when. Organizers must be vigilant about agitators.

Realistically, a large number of the founding fathers where white supremacists.  I never thought of them as Nazis.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

I dunno, it's early.

People used to say Bush was an empty suit of Cheney.  I don't agree with that.  Bush was bad on his own.

Trump is terrible on his own for sure. I feel like he figured out his policies based on how the crowd reacted at his rallies. 

• Like 2

I get you TGB, people are being put in the middle, and that's not fair.

However, it comes down to whether to follow illegal, unConstitutional orders. 

I refuse to be like the German people who stuck their head into the sand and ignored any information that contradicted the regime for fear.

What do we say about the Third Reich-never again.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

You'd hope so.  What Republican is going to impeach Trump though?  We can't even get them to vote "no" on Devos.  They're largely his puppets at this point.

Well, I think it won't be all at once, but McCain and Graham are good bets if something legitimately impeachable comes out.

If/when something comes down, cracks will start forming.

I think the moment when the tide will turn in the GOP is if they lose the VA Governor's race because of Trump stuff.  Around that time is when midterm internals will start trickling in too.  If the GOP is looking bad at that point, someone will probably cave.  Odds are good a bunch of GOPers will go to McCain and Graham and ask them to lead the charge to provide cover for when they come out later.  McCain, officially in "over this ****" mode, will go on tv saying he'd vote to convict if given the option.

All hell breaks loose, but a month later, Trump has been officially removed.

Damn, I had only read Cohen's one piece above. He went to town on trump and the gop that turned around and supported him after winning the primaries...

Cohen - Trump won't get better

Precisely because the problem is one of temperament and character, it will not get better. It will get worse, as power intoxicates Trump and those around him. It will probably end in calamity—substantial domestic protest and violence, a breakdown of international economic relationships, the collapse of major alliances, or perhaps one or more new wars (even with China) on top of the ones we already have. It will not be surprising in the slightest if his term ends not in four or in eight years, but sooner, with impeachment or removal under the 25th Amendment. The sooner Americans get used to these likelihoods, the better.

For the community of conservative thinkers and experts, and more importantly, conservative politicians, this is a testing time. Either you stand up for your principles and for what you know is decent behavior, or you go down, if not now, then years from now, as a coward or opportunist. Your reputation will never recover, nor should it.

Ton of good stuff from him, shows you not all conservatives support trump (despite claims to the contrary)

I'm glad the idea that trump isn't going to make it 4 years is getting more thought. I give it 2.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2