Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

It's one of those odd things. On the surface, I really don't mind the question. I feel the same about voter ID laws. Both make sense to me. However, the problem isn't the question or the ID, but how they plan to blatantly and directly plan to abuse the info. Conservatives don't really even try to hide it anymore. They basically say outright... we want voter ID laws so we can limit minority participation and rig the vote. We want a voter ID law to assist us in gerrymandering and they're daring the courts to stop them. In Trump's case, it's even worse. He's saying with Barr's approval that the Supreme Court can be overturned. Whatever he wills is right and just and the law. His signing statement can trump the will of the Supreme Court.

I still don't think it's a bad idea to present an ID before voting, but also think that we should do things like make voter registration automatic. I think it's pretty easy. The moment you register for the draft at eighteen you are registered to vote. If that means women have to register for selective service, I have no problem with that. At that time, I think every person could be issued an ID good for plane travel, voting, etc. Hell, you could even get your citizenship question answered through the same means. 

• Like 1

New survey: Americans do not support Trump’s policies at the border

YouGov Blue and Data for Progress fielded survey items on YouGov Blue’s biweekly registered voter omnibus related to the crisis at the border. This survey is based on 1,014 interviews conducted by YouGov on the internet of self-identified registered voters between June 27 and June 30, 2019. 

Americans overwhelmingly think how children are being treated at the border is unacceptable.

After describing news reports about conditions at the border, we asked respondents to describe their view of what was happening.

Recently, there have been news reports of unsafe and unsanitary conditions for children held in detention at the border. Children have been reported to be without toothbrushes, soap, and blankets, and older children are reportedly caring for babies they don’t know. Which comes closer to your view?

1. These are unacceptable conditions that need to be fixed immediately so children have a safe environment. Our government should not treat children this way.

2. These are not our children, and they should not have come or been brought here. The government is doing all that it needs to be doing.

The wording of the latter option is a direct reference to an argument used recently on Fox News in defense of the Trump administration’s policies.

Over two-thirds of Americans, 68 percent, agreed that these are unacceptable conditions that must be fixed immediately. Only 32 percent agreed that what the government was doing was sufficient since “these are not our children.”

0*dWh4ziXbFnjPOaEr

0*H-ixGaUJtTOqcahM

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China

8 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Why are they announcing when they will begin?  Seems like the smarter thing would be to surprise them.

Because the whole point of the thing is to scare and intimidate, even if it doesn't come to pass. Terrorizing "those" people feeds their base and is pretty much the definition of all their policies.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Because the whole point of the thing is to scare and intimidate, even if it doesn't come to pass. Terrorizing "those" people feeds their base and is pretty much the definition of all their policies.

Exactly. 

Wouldn't the fear of them coming unannounced in massive raids be worse?

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Why are they announcing when they will begin?  Seems like the smarter thing would be to surprise them.

Because they want them to voluntarily obey the court's deportation orders.......insane right?

21 minutes ago, Skintime said:

Times as an unbiased source? LOL

The Times is posting the result from a poll

A Harvard University Center for American Political Studies/Harris poll found that 67% of all registered U.S. voters say the census should ask the citizenship question when the time comes. That includes 88% of Republicans, 63% of independents and 52% of Democrats.

Most notably, the poll found that 55% of Hispanic voters favor the idea.

there are no unbiased polls imo, the Times has nothing to do with that though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I think because the PR value of saying their doing this is more important than doing it. This action is not happening to correct a problem, but excite Trump’s base. :2cents:

22 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

By reminding people of their civil rights and the limits on the powers of those enforcement agents?  Yea, what a dingbat.  

:blink:

Glad you agree.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

By reminding people of their civil rights and the limits on the powers of those enforcement agents?  Yea, what a dingbat.  

As long as those people admit they’re against enforcing the law. 

9 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Exactly. 

Wouldn't the fear of them coming unannounced in massive raids be worse?

They've already been doing more unannounced raids, this is taking that fear to next level by announcing to go even further then canceling at last minute.  There's no telling when they will actually do it or announce it, this again is more meat for the base as saying they will do it overwhelms them backing off.  Yelling they will do it then backing off seems to be working politically better then not saying anything and doing it anyway, this has nothing to do with enforcing the law.

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I’d like to thank Buzz for illuminating the stark difference between an actual conservative and those who co-opt conservatism to put a thin veneer of legitimacy on their bootlicking and authoritarianism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1