Burgold

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Recommended Posts

All of this is just the very tip of the iceberg if something isn’t done.  This is just the deportation of relatively few people and the separation of children at the border.  There are 10 million or more.  

 

And don't for one second imagine that lack of soap and blankets is as bad as this story will get.  We all know that predators unerringly find their way to the vulnerable.  Doesn’t get much more vulnerable than undocumented detained children whose parents have been sent away.  Children deemed unimportant enough to merit even the most basic of items.  This situation is like ringing the dinner bell for predators.

 

Urgent action is needed.  This can not wait, this is not an issue to be used to rally the base.  

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

 

 

Might run into a supremacy clause problem, there.  Although I could see the private detention industry just deciding that hey, they'll just send those federally-paid-for jobs to a state that wants the money.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the operative paraphrase from Jesus would be:


Treat the least of my children as you would me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Larry said:

 

Might run into a supremacy clause problem, there.  Although I could see the private detention industry just deciding that hey, they'll just send those federally-paid-for jobs to a state that wants the money.  

 

Or just put it on federal land, like a military base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

or just send those released, they would obviously welcome those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Trump was going to send the illegals to sanctuary cities, but the cities said no thanks.

Did they? Seemed like people would welcome the undocumented but object to Trump using them as a pawns.

 

What they're saying:

  • Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney: “The city would be prepared to welcome these immigrants just as we have embraced our immigrant communities for decades."
  •  
  • Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel: “As a welcoming city, we would welcome these migrants with open arms, just as we welcomed Syrian refugees, just as we welcomed Puerto Ricans displaced by Hurricane Maria and just as we welcome Rohingya refugees fleeing genocide in Myanmar."
  •  
  • Mayor Marc McGovern of Cambridge, Massachusetts: “I am proud that Cambridge is a sanctuary city. ... Trump is a schoolyard bully who tries to intimidate and threaten people. I’m not intimidated and if asylum seekers find their way to Cambridge, we’ll welcome them.”
  •  
  • New York Mayor Bill de Blasio: “He uses people like pawns ... New York City will always be the ultimate city of immigrants – the President’s empty threats won’t change that.”
  •  
  • Mayor Steven Hernandez of Coachella, California: “We have already been working alongside partners to ensure that recently arrived families, women and children get the services they need to make their successful transition into America."
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Burgold said:
I think the operative paraphrase from Jesus would be:


Treat the least of my children as you would me.

 

I think the bible gets a little more specific than that Burgold.

 

Quote

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

 

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"concentration camps" meme.

 

Can someone pushing this meme explain the difference between a concentration camp and people in detention awaiting their court date?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. As much as I hate Trump's policies, that kind of hyperbole is counterproductive and cheapens the suffering and death of millions.

 

Maybe if someone wants to compare them to the internment camps, that's at least a more accurate (albeit still overstated) comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Larry said:

"concentration camps" meme.

 

Can someone pushing this meme explain the difference between a concentration camp and people in detention awaiting their court date?  

 

 

People in detention centers aren't (ideally) separated from their kids, aren't being deprived of food and water, and are being given humane living conditions.

 

All the things that most of these concentration camps appear to be lacking.

 

But tbh..it's branding so people won't feel bad about how we have turned into bigoted douchebags.

 

6 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I agree. As much as I hate Trump's policies, that kind of hyperbole is counterproductive and cheapens the suffering and death of millions.

 

Maybe if someone wants to compare them to the internment camps, that's at least a more accurate (albeit still overstated) comparison.

 

And yet concentration camps is accurate. You're probably thinking of Nazi death camps. Something entirely different.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yall are doing the same thing with the concentration camps crap that you where with the NFL disrespecting the flag ****. YOU KNOW its a bull**** argument thats being used to move the conversation away from the real problem. Stop ****ing helping the bad guys with semantics. 

 

Yall really think if you thew a holocaust survivor in one of these "concentration camps" they would be cool until you said that **** and THEN it would be too much. Please. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Larry said:

"concentration camps" meme.

 

Can someone pushing this meme explain the difference between a concentration camp and people in detention awaiting their court date?  

 

you're boring

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

I agree. As much as I hate Trump's policies, that kind of hyperbole is counterproductive and cheapens the suffering and death of millions.

 

Maybe if someone wants to compare them to the internment camps, that's at least a more accurate (albeit still overstated) comparison.

also very boring

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

you're boring

also very boring

 

And you're attacking posters instead of their arguments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Llevron said:

 

 

Yall really think if you thew a holocaust survivor in one of these "concentration camps" they would be cool until you said that **** and THEN it would be too much. Please. 

The Holocaust survivors have spoken out on this. Almost universally, they say that the camps, treatment, and process is repulsive and smacks of Nazi Germany. And that was before multiple Trump officials went on the stump to defend against the denials of luxuries like soap or medical attention. We are also beginning to get multiple reports of children and babies dying from neglect.

 

The truth is, it's almost certainly worse than the worst we are imagining. Concentration Camp or Interment Camp are both appropriate enough verbiage. What's not acceptable is what's being done to children.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Burgold said:

The Holocaust survivors have spoken out on this. Almost universally, they say that the camps, treatment, and process is repulsive and smacks of Nazi Germany. And that was before multiple Trump officials went on the stump to defend against the denials of luxuries like soap or medical attention. We are also beginning to get multiple reports of children and babies dying from neglect.

 

The truth is, it's almost certainly worse than the worst we are imagining. Concentration Camp or Interment Camp are both appropriate enough verbiage. What's not acceptable is what's being done to children.

Agreed. The literal definition of concentration camp is a group of people packed tightly in together into a prison like space with subpar living conditions that aren't charged or convicted criminals.

 

We are on the verge of becoming Nazi Germany 2.0.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Agreed. The literal definition of concentration camp is a group of people packed tightly in together into a prison like space with subpar living conditions that aren't charged or convicted criminals.

 

We are on the verge of becoming Nazi Germany 2.0.

 

Pretty sure the folks in these camps are waiting for their court date. So your point is that they don't count, because illegal immigration isn't handled in the criminal courts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.