Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

10 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Well... Thank you for posting your mostly informative news articles 

"mostly" is stretching it. Hes 24-7 though so its got to give him meaning...so if he believes in it, I believe in him

Edited by Gibbit
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Well... Thank you for posting your mostly informative news articles 

Thank you, I think.  😃

I wasn’t saying that to attack you in particular though.  I just don’t want to waste time trying it explain it when it’s not going to make a difference at that point.

23 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Ah gotcha.  

I have a bridge I'd like to sell you in Brooklyn - any interest?

At the time - the actual stated reason from Try was that a Trump nomination guaranteed a Clinton victory so he voted for him to help her and hurt the Republicans.  He didn't want a Kasich or Rubio upsetting Clinton's apple cart. 

Edited by nonniey

On 6/7/2019 at 1:37 PM, No Excuses said:

Pointing out that Destin is wrong here doesn’t imply that he’s some right wing but job. 

It is factually true that the hard right tanked a bipartisan immigration bill in 2013 that easily passed the Senate. I know this gets in the way of low effort “OMGZ BOTH SIDES” talking points but we would have a vastly different immigration situation if John Boehner hadn’t caved to pressure from the hard right.

Both democrats and republicans shot down Bush's attempt at comprehensive immigration reform in 2007. 

As for Obama's attempt in 2013, the question immigration reform activists had at the time was 'why is this fight happening in 2013?'  He promised to take action on this issue during his first year in office, and at the time democrats controlled the white house and both houses of congress.  They even had labor support for their version of comprehensive reform, but they waited.  And waited.  Years passed and by the time they got around to it, they no longer had the votes to pass a bill.

Neither side has made any progress on immigration when they've had the opportunity to do so.  Perhaps if my interest on this issue was Republican or Democrat I could craft an argument about how my side had sincerely tried to change things for the better only to be thwarted by those callous idiots on the other side.  There is no shortage of immigration bills favored by one side and strongly opposed by the other. 

On this issue however, my interests are with the millions of immigrants caught up in a broken system.  I feel a connection to them, being an immigrant myself (albeit one that was never undocumented or illegal).  I want to see progress.  I am frustrated and my heart broken by the many horror stories this broken system generates.  How many decades are the two parties going to fight over this without getting anything done? 

I don't believe that my position on this is lazy or unreasonable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2019 at 8:25 PM, Destino said:

Both democrats and republicans shot down Bush's attempt at comprehensive immigration reform in 2007. 

As for Obama's attempt in 2013, the question immigration reform activists had at the time was 'why is this fight happening in 2013?'  He promised to take action on this issue during his first year in office, and at the time democrats controlled the white house and both houses of congress.  They even had labor support for their version of comprehensive reform, but they waited.  And waited.  Years passed and by the time they got around to it, they no longer had the votes to pass a bill.

Neither side has made any progress on immigration when they've had the opportunity to do so.  Perhaps if my interest on this issue was Republican or Democrat I could craft an argument about how my side had sincerely tried to change things for the better only to be thwarted by those callous idiots on the other side.  There is no shortage of immigration bills favored by one side and strongly opposed by the other. 

On this issue however, my interests are with the millions of immigrants caught up in a broken system.  I feel a connection to them, being an immigrant myself (albeit one that was never undocumented or illegal).  I want to see progress.  I am frustrated and my heart broken by the many horror stories this broken system generates.  How many decades are the two parties going to fight over this without getting anything done? 

I don't believe that my position on this is lazy or unreasonable. 

This is a whole lot of criticism on process and not on the merits of the bill. The 2013 bill was crafted by members of both parties. If it passed the House, our immigration system would be vastly different and unarguably better. It directly offered help to the "millions of immigrants" caught up in a broken system that you rightfully point out are the ones suffering as a result of our current policies.

And the reason that bill died is because of the extreme right. And those same arse clowns are now running the show and making the situation worse.

I mean Lindsey Graham was going around talk shows at the time talking it up and promising that this was going to be passed. It wasn't a bill brought up for show to say "hey look we did something!!!". And then it was completely tanked when Breitbart started running inflammatory pieces about it, Fox News drummer up the paranoia and right wing extremists in the House strong armed Boehner.

I think your position on this is both lazy and unreasonable. It is lazy because it tries to draw a false equivalency between a party that has been slow to act and a party that has taken a sledge hammer to the system and turned it into rubble. It is unreasonable because there are people in this country offering a serious overhaul for the better and you are equating them to a bunch of goons who want to win elections by drumming up paranoia and fear of scary Central American migrants.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, No Excuses said:

This is a whole lot of criticism on process and not on the merits of the bill. The 2013 bill was crafted by members of both parties. If it passed the House, our immigration system would be vastly different and unarguably better. It directly offered help to the "millions of immigrants" caught up in a broken system that you rightfully point out are the ones suffering as a result of our current policies.

Mine is a complaint concerning the absence of progress on this issue. Yes the 2013 bill would have helped.  The 2007 bill would have too.  After so many years of waiting however, the details start to feel like excuses.  It starts to feel like we are being lead around by a carrot dangling from a stick. 

And the reason that bill died is because of the extreme right. And those same arse clowns are now running the show and making the situation worse.

Agreed. 

I think your position on this is both lazy and unreasonable. It is lazy because it tries to draw a false equivalency between a party that has been slow to act and a party that has taken a sledge hammer to the system and turned it into rubble. It is unreasonable because there are people in this country offering a serious overhaul for the better and you are equating them to a bunch of goons who want to win elections by drumming up paranoia and fear of scary Central American migrants.

There is no equivalency here.  I'm not saying they are the same.  One side drags it's feet and the other opposes progress, those are different actions not at all the same.  The results are the same though.  Nothing changes.  Perhaps that's a lazy unreasonable truth, but a it's a truth all the same. 

I'm a democrat and I've followed this issue closely for a very long time.  Immigration became an issue for me as a child when it was explained to me that we needed green cards or we'd have to leave.  That if I got into any legal trouble at all I'd be sent away (and right into military service, to boot).  I'm aware of what the right has done, and what the more extreme right (which gets harder to distinguish every day) want to do with those 10+ million people. 

I understand all of this, now try to understand me.  There is a humanitarian crisis brewing, one that arguably has already begun, and the sense of urgency is missing.  Our leaders need to understand this before we start writing another depressing chapter in the history books of future generations.  Pointing out the Republicans were against it is not enough when the stakes are this high.

• Like 1