Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

Keep thinking that the next DHS budget (I suggested it for this one) specifies no funding whatsoever until congress (and the public?) are provided with a list of every child separated from his party by the US government in the last four years, where that child is now, and every facility or agency they were passed through, with monthly updates thereafter. 

It's about the summer a then-17-year-old Carter and thousands of American teenage boys heeded the call of the federal government ... to work on farms.

The year was 1965. On Cinco de Mayo, newspapers across the country reported that Secretary of Labor W. Willard Wirtz wanted to recruit 20,000 high schoolers to replace the hundreds of thousands of Mexican agricultural workers who had labored in the United States under the so-called Bracero Program. Started in World War II, the program was an agreement between the American and Mexican governments that brought Mexican men to pick harvests across the U.S.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/07/31/634442195/when-the-u-s-government-tried-to-replace-migrant-farmworkers-with-high-schoolers?fbclid=IwAR3MYwhvPFfHYqVLX661MO7nk4j8zWTz2zCFJMekD86w9m2O2pZZt7mwhRU

8 hours ago, visionary said:

That story makes me so mad.

Yea its particularly infuriating. And when people defend ICE is stuff like this that makes me want to argue. I understand their Job is important. They do have something they need to be doing. This kind of **** isnt it though. Its needlessly cruel, a waste of money if you want to go there and down right ****ed up. This is the **** China is doing to these people, who honestly didnt do anything to deserve it but be born. It would hard to see stuff like this happening when living in a country that used to atleast say it was against it, but I understand that there is two Americas. In practice and in theory. 

27 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Why isn't the House digging into the separated kids with a quick and massive investigation?

I've been imagining a clause in the funding for ICE or DHS that no funds can be spent until congress has been furnished with a report on every single separated child, and his current location, with monthly updates thereafter. 

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Speaking of things that piss me off, we're actually stripping children away from their families, deporting the parents, and keeping the kids?

What would you suggest when it is the families wish the child remain here?

Or in cases where the parent is found unfit or not the parent?

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Why isn't the House digging into the separated kids with a quick and massive investigation?

They are. They've had at least one public hearing (first week in February) and they did issue subpoenas for information last week. I think that followed requests for information made without using the subpoena power right away. This is one of the problems with Trump and the GOP house from the last two years. They did no oversight so now everything is happening and newsworthy items get lost in all the idiocy that is Trump.

Edited by Hersh
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twa said:

What would you suggest when it is the families wish the child remain here?

Or in cases where the parent is found unfit or not the parent?

Yep, I'm certain that the kids we're separating from their parents, and then deciding to keep, are because

1). The parents asked the US government to take their kids away from them, and farm them off to American families, and the Trump administration decided to grant their request, and let these foreigners into the country, despite entering illegally. 

Or

2). The US government has determined that the people we took him away from are not the parent, and our ongoing efforts to find his parents are so far unsuccessful, and we're housing them temporarily while continuing said efforts. 

I mean, it's either that, or you're pulling imaginary scenarios out of your Philly, to try to imply that maybe you can create an imaginary excuse for kidnapping. 

did you read the article?

they talked of one child the family decided they should remain with a relative here.

I assume you are aware of DACA, and the fact children have different status under the law?

some are determined not to be parents and some parents are determined to be unfit and/or a danger to the child......you think the govt can just dump them?