Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/restrictions-passports-104434.html

Do you think getting a passport is your right as a U.S. citizen? Think again. A passport is an essential international document that both identifies you by name and photograph and affirms that you are a citizen of the United States. But you can get that essential document only if you jump through the official hoops including paying a substantial fee, and even then your right to get it is not absolute. Under U.S. law, the State Department must deny a passport to some individuals and has the discretion to deny a passport to many others.

Your "Right" to a Passport

A passport isn't like a birth certificate that comes into being without any affirmative action on your part. Anyone who has ever applied for a passport can testify to the complexity of the initial application process, which requires considerable documentation plus a personal appearance at a Passport Acceptance Center. The fee cannot be called negligible, nor is the result immediate. Unless you shell out additional fees, you'll have to wait four to six weeks to get your passport in the mail.

Given this, it is difficult to argue that having a passport is a citizen's right. If your passport photo is too dark or you forget your check book, your application stalls. And even if you manage to get the application, documentation, photo and check done perfectly, you still may be denied a passport.

50 minutes ago, twa said:

I stipulated the burden of proof should be on the govt.

Then I think we're all in agreement that these denial of passport on mere suspicion is inappropriate.  I would concede that for case where government proves fraud on the part of the parents, some type of corrective action with a visa/status (hopefully with path back to citizenship after appropriate steps) would make sense.

14 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Then I think we're all in agreement that these denial of passport on mere suspicion is inappropriate.  I would concede that for case where government proves fraud on the part of the parents, some type of corrective action with a visa/status (hopefully with path back to citizenship after appropriate steps) would make sense.

I certainly think the bar should be higher than mere suspicion

• Like 1

this admin has done a lot to let me know how bad illegal brown people are and how much bad illegal brown people are doing to make america bad

it's a sophisticated message for a sophisticated comsumer

it takes up 2 of steve miller's flash cards

bad brown people! bad! go! go!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

It's either this or we invade Central America.

Ah, **** it, we'll probably invade Central America anyway.

We could save money by hiring illegals to do it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1