Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

16 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

People like @tshile keep this place from being an insufferable echo chamber.  A little thanks is owed I think.

@twa gets on my nerves sometimes and maybe comes across as complicet in his "ya, but..." responses, but in the land of real somebody has to do it, especially in the gun threads.  Sometimes I wish he wouldn't, not gonna lie.

24 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

People like @tshile keep this place from being an insufferable echo chamber.  A little thanks is owed I think.

He comes in every so often and complains about me. It’s his thing. 

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Can we all agree our government shouldn't be separating families to begin with if they make it to the US together?  That 1500 number weren't taken from their parents, but we are totally doing that, and I don't see anything funny about that at all.

Everything trump has done re: immigration has been terrible and heart breaking. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, tshile said:

Everything trump has done re: immigration has been terrible and heart breaking. 

We're not going to stop hearing stuff like this until he's gone.  Immigration system wasn't great before he showed up, either, needs a lot of work.

• Like 1

A transgender woman who was part of the caravan of Central American migrants that arrived at the US border earlier this month died in custody Friday from what appeared to be cardiac arrest.

Roxsana Hernandez, 33, died in the custody of US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at a hospital in Albuquerque, New Mexico. She had been taken to another hospital in New Mexico more than a week earlier with symptoms of pneumonia, dehydration, and complications associated with HIV.

Hernandez asked for asylum at the San Ysidro port of entry on May 9, according to Pueblo Sin Fronteras, which organized the caravan. The group said she was first detained by US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) in holding cells known as "iceboxes" because of how cold they are.

In addition to being cold, Pueblo Sin Fronteras said, Hernandez lacked adequate food and medical care and was held in a cell where the lights were turned on 24 hours a day. On May 16, she was then taken to a transgender unit at the Cibola County Correctional Center, a federal prison facility in Milan, New Mexico, that contracts with ICE.

The following day Hernandez was admitted to Cibola General Hospital and was later transferred via air ambulance to Albuquerque's Lovelace Medical Center, where she remained in the intensive care unit until she died on May 25. The preliminary cause of death was cardiac arrest, according to ICE.

In an interview with BuzzFeed News last month, Hernandez said she had fled Honduras in part because of the discrimination and violence she faced for being transgender.

Four months before joining the caravan, Hernandez said, she was walking home when MS-13 gang members started screaming "We don't want you in this neighborhood, you ****ing faggot" at her before gang-raping her.

"Four of them raped me and as a result I got HIV," Hernandez told BuzzFeed News. "Trans people in my neighborhood are killed and chopped into pieces, then dumped inside potato bags."

Edited by visionary

Trump haa been horrible on immigration, no doubt about that.  But at the end of the day, I lay the biggest blame at the feet of Congress.  There are many flaws in the immigration system and many of them have perfectly reasonable solutions.  But Congress has been completely unable or unwilling to act.  Voters really need to hold their feet to the fire and tell both parties that inaction is no longer acceptable.  If a grand compromise is not possible, start addressing the small stuff one by one.

Asylum is one of those examples.  Require/allow applicants to apply at US consulate nearest to their domicile.  Consulate stationed DHS employee has 30 days to issue prima facie determination of bona fide grounds for asylum.  If you have bona fide prima facie determination, we'll transport you to US.  In clear cases, DHS can release with authorized stay and work permit pending final determination.  In less clear cases, applicants and family are held in detention centers (none of this separating family nonsense).  If determination takes longer than than 6 months, applicants get automatic hearing before immigration judge for either release with authorized stay and work permit or revocation of prima facie determination.  No one may apply for asylum at border and no one may enter US legally without prima facie determination.  That would be hell of a lot better than what we have now.

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Trump haa been horrible on immigration, no doubt about that.  But at the end of the day, I lay the biggest blame at the feet of Congress.  There are many flaws in the immigration system and many of them have perfectly reasonable solutions.  But Congress has been completely unable or unwilling to act.  Voters really need to hold their feet to the fire and tell both parties that inaction is no longer acceptable.  If a grand compromise is not possible, start addressing the small stuff one by one.

I would say this is true about any topic.  We put too much focus on POTUS.  He may drive the ship but Congress powers it.

• Like 1

On June 4, 2018 at 7:40 AM, twa said:

Can someone explain what power this grandstanding yahoo thinks he has in Texas or over a federal agency?

By "this grandstanding yahoo in Texas", you mean "a US Senator"?  

(Granted, the two terms are often interchangeable.)

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Larry said:

By "this grandstanding yahoo in Texas", you mean "a US Senator"?  

(Granted, the two terms are often interchangeable.)

I just to find the limit of what ya'll think they can demand before I unleash Cruz on ya localities. :headbang:

The investigation into Corso’s began in October 2017 when the U.S. Border Patrol arrested a woman who gave stolen identity documents to job applicants in the country illegally, said Steve Francis, head of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations unit in Detroit.

The document vendor led investigators to the landscaping company, where they examined documents in its files for irregularities, Francis said. Some Social Security numbers belonged to dead people.

Of the 313 employees whose records were examined, 123 were found suspicious and targeted for arrest and criminal charges of identity theft and, in nearly all cases, tax evasion. Francis said the identity theft targeted U.S. citizens who had no idea their information was being used at the Ohio business.

Edited by visionary

Evangelical leaders rebuke Donald Trump for separating immigrant children from families at border

Leading evangelicals have urged President Donald Trump and his administration to reconsider a "horrible," "zero tolerance" policy that has led to an increase in immigrant children being separated from their families who entered the country illegally in recent weeks.

Southern Baptist ethicist Russell Moore and National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference President Samuel Rodriguez joined other members of the Evangelical Immigration Table in sending a letter of concern to the president last Friday.

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/evangelical-leaders-rebuke-donald-trump-for-separating-immigrant-children-from-families-at-border/129568.htm

• Like 1