Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trying to look on the Bright Side - Do we have any probowlers on the roster?

Veretax

They're using him wrong. First Quarter TD against the Jets, he embarrassed Revis. Second half, they don't even target Garçon. LOVE his run blocking though as it reminds me of Portis' pass blocking. Both of them are just violent in their blocking. :)

Totally agree about your last statement, and that TD was sick. But I'm seeing too many routes he's running where he just gets zero separation. I don't know how that's using him wrong more than it's a decline in skills?

The other thing that's been discussed before is his inability to win jump balls, especially deep. It's weird, he was doing those things in Indy.

Maybe you're right and if they feature him more it'd be better. I'm utterly confused by it.

Totally agree about your last statement, and that TD was sick. But I'm seeing too many routes he's running where he just gets zero separation. I don't know how that's using him wrong more than it's a decline in skills?

The other thing that's been discussed before is his inability to win jump balls, especially deep. It's weird, he was doing those things in Indy.

They're using him wrong. Garçon has all three wr routes down. Ross doesn't. What they should be doing then is move Garçon & put Ross in Garcon's spot. Doing so gives you that burner/deep threat in Ross that you're missing with DJax out. Because we all know Gruden takes maybe one deep shot a game so defenses know we're not going to beat them deep & it's been allowing them to take our run game from us.

They're using him wrong. Garçon has all three wr routes down. Ross doesn't. What they should be doing then is move Garçon & put Ross in Garcon's spot. Doing so gives you that burner/deep threat in Ross that you're missing with DJax out. Because we all know Gruden takes maybe one deep shot a game so defenses know we're not going to beat them deep & it's been allowing them to take our run game from us.

Yeah, I can see that, but is Ross capable of handling everything at that spot and not just the go routes? I don't see how putting him in there if he's still messing up other responsibilities will help, because defense's will just key in on him only running deep routes. They can just have a DB play off and take that away.   

There was an article with Ross essentially admitting he doesn't know all the WR spots. Maybe that's the issue?   

*Edit* Found the article: 

“There's more to being a receiver than just running a deep ball,” Gruden said. “He's got to get better at the little things -- the blocking, where to line up and all those things -- and he is. It's a good luxury to have, another receiver that can really run and go get it. He's got that extra gear that probably nobody else has other than DeSean. So, we probably should use him a little bit more in the deep stuff."

But Ross understands his situation. He changed his approach to make the roster, working out with Jackson this summer and focusing on improving the number of routes he can run. Given his status, Ross knows he won’t earn playing time until he’s better in practice.

“Make more plays in practice, make sure they trust me,” he said. “I’ll just say it’s the trust right now. In practice sometimes I mess up. Most of the time I do good, but I have to be 100 percent. Most of [the mistakes] are mental; physically I’ve got it.

“It’s just being consistent. I can go out there and make five good plays and mess up on one and I’m not in a position to mess up at all.”

Ross also will help himself the more he improves at running routes from various positions. He said that stems more from knowing the concepts of the offense; once you do, learning routes from each of the receiver positions isn’t that hard.

“It takes time to learn, especially when you’re just learning one [spot] and you just going in as one,” he said. “I feel I can do anything, but I’m more comfortable at the X position.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/183813/redskins-want-more-than-speed-from-receiver-rashad-ross

Here's the part you're saying: 

There’s a reason and it starts with the position he plays. Ross has run routes only from the X, or outside, receiver position. That’s where Pierre Garcon plays and to play Ross more would mean to sit Garcon. Of course, they could always move Garcon to the other receiver spot where he knows the routes.

I wonder what it is that Ross is missing exactly. 

Trent is our only viable option as of now.  It's a long season and a few people to look out for are probably breeland if he can continue his play and potentially Keenan Robinson.  Robinson is making a few too many mistakes for me, but he's a ballhawk and outperforming every LB by a mile in my eyes.  Breeland isn't well known enough to garner the rep points necessary for a probowl just yet.  Trent has been mashing, just injuries are a concern moving forward.  

Disappointed in Kerrigan (seems like he whiffs on a sack once or twice a game)

Re: Garcon.  IMHO he has never been much of a deep threat.  He's good after the catch which is why he can turn 10-15 yard passes into TDs every once in a while.  Also doesn't seem too polished in the middle of the route tree.  Underneath stuff and play action concepts seem to be his strength.  

I've not cared about our pro bowl invitees for some time now. Most players bow out and the subs can go four or five deep.

Yeah, I think it should be more about whether (any of) our guys are playing at a probowl level... which they aren't.

Just noticed a previous post didn't make it on here. Basically, none of our guys a playing great (consistently) except Hopkins* (and maybe Baker/Hatcher). Baker, Breeland, Williams, Hatcher, Keenan Robinson, and Moses all seem to be playing well. RJF, Crowder, Jarrett, Thompson and (surprisingly) Blackmon have all exceeded expectations. So far anyway, Kerrigan, Paea, Garçon, Culliver and Way aren't playing up to expectations but are (I think) playing fairly well.

Scherff, T. Robinson, Goldson, Murphy, Knighton, Riley, Carrier, Long, Cousins, Morris and Jones are all ... meh... flashing good play with a whole bunch of... well... meh.

Lichtensteiger, and Grant have looked pretty poor. Hoping with Lich. it's a matter of losing Lauvao and their chemistry coupled with matchup/injury problems.

* Hopkins - man, so many touchbacks, making all his kicks and 3/3 beautiful onsides kicks. Really impressive. Small sample size though.

Moses is playing lights out. Hopkins is as good as any kicker out there so far. I was liking Keenan Robinson til the last two weeks which were terrible and so-so respectively.

Breeland has made some outstanding plays, but unfortunately for him CB is one of those positions where the last mistake you made overshadows all the good you may have done til then.

He's a hotshot, but he has to sustain it.

~Bang

Know who's playing at a pro-bowl level? Jordan Reed.

I agree with that, I think he's right on the cusp of Pro-Bowl level when on the field.  Averaging 70 yds/game.  If he found the endzone just a little more, like 0.625 TDs per week (10 per year), he'd be in excellent shape.  2 TDs this helps a lot, but it needs to be something of a trend, at least 1 more TD by the end of week 10, aim for 7 or 8ish on the year.

Injuries do keep him out of the public eye, he basically has to be lights out when in because he misses a few games, and needs to compensate.  Other issue is that there are just some really good TEs out there ahead of him, Gronk, Gates, Barnidge, and Olsen ahead of him, and Kelce and Walker near him, with Witten, Eifert, Ebron, and Graham only a slight ways down.  Luckily only Olsen, Witten, Ebron, and Graham are also in the NFC, but some of them could get in on name recognition alone, like Olsen, Witten, and Graham.  Reed wouldn't just need to outplay one of them by a little, but by a lot, to get just due and maybe slip in there.

Trent Williams maybe.

Kerrigan has been a bit of disappointment this year, hasn't he?

Trent is it in terms of someone your not making a case for because you have burgundy tinted glasses on. Kerrigan has been playing hurt with a hip injury, hes been solid but not a Pro Bowl level player. 

We have had a rash of injuries hopefull some guys will heal up during the bye week break.

Who was that Packers te a few/several years back - tons of talent, one of the more dangerous receiving tes but couldn't stay healthy? Finley? Anyway, that's who Reed reminds me of. Heck of a game yesterday. Here's hoping he stays healthy.

Hopkins is now 4/4 in terms of beautiful onsides kicks. Amazing. Quite possibly the best kicker in the league ATM (IMO).

Archived