Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BPR: California Gov. Brown signs new law, mandates pro-life pregnancy centers to advertise abortion services

Zguy28

California Gov. Brown signs new law, mandates pro-life pregnancy centers to advertise abortion services

In California, the government apparently believes it has the right to mandate pro-abortion advertising.

Democrat Governor Jerry Brown signed into law on Friday a bill that requires all licensed pregnancy centers – including pro-life and faith-based nonprofits – to inform their clients about “free or low-cost” abortion and contraceptive services available through government programs.

The so-called “Reproductive FACT Act” requires all pregnancy clinics within the state to post a notice on their premises that effectively advertises abortion services and assistance programs provided by local social services offices, according to CNSNews.

“California has public programs that provide immediate free or low-cost access to comprehensive family planning services (including all FDA-approved methods of contraception), prenatal care, and abortion for eligible women. To determine whether you qualify, contact the county social services office at [insert the telephone number],” reads the official notice.

Pregnancy centers that fail to advertise the government-promoted abortion programs in California could be liable for a civil penalty of $500 for a first offense, and $1,000 for each subsequent offense.

Critics of the new law argue that the mandated notice violates the First Amendment rights of anti-abortion and faith-based nonprofits.

Read rest at link.

Interesting. This is not an abortion debate thread please.

Is this an unconstitutional overreach by government officials?

You state no abortion debate but your title, and the article you posted, are specifically abortion related.

From the actual content though, the notice these places are required to post reads:

“California has public programs that provide immediate free or low-cost access to comprehensive family planning services (including all FDA-approved methods of contraception), prenatal care, and abortion for eligible women. To determine whether you qualify, contact the county social services office at [insert the telephone number],”

That = "required to advertise abortion?" Give me a damn break.

Here's another article on the new law, one that isn't complete trash: http://jezebel.com/california-crisis-pregnancy-centers-sue-over-medical-li-1736020701

You state no abortion debate but your title, and the article you posted, are specifically abortion related.

From the actual content though, the notice these places are required to post reads:

“California has public programs that provide immediate free or low-cost access to comprehensive family planning services (including all FDA-approved methods of contraception), prenatal care, and abortion for eligible women. To determine whether you qualify, contact the county social services office at [insert the telephone number],”

That = "required to advertise abortion?" Give me a damn break.

Right, I don't want to debate the morality of abortion here. Other threads for that.

Did you miss the part where it says "and abortion for eligible women"?

My question is, do these pregnancy centers get money from the government? If they do, then they need to advertise, if they don't get government money then they shouldn't have to advertise anything they don't want to.

seems reasonable, just as these clinics options should be advertised in other clinics accepting funds

add

of course reading it again perhaps they should clarify the difference  between contraception,family planning and procedures that kill.

seems reasonable, just as these clinics options should be advertised in other clinics accepting funds

add

of course reading it again perhaps they should clarify the difference between contraception,family planning and procedures that kill.

Well...it's alittle hard to advertise abstinence at a pregnancy facility. That's putting the cart before the horse...

But adoption advertising...that would make sense.

Y'know, I hear they're considering a companion bill. 

This one will target all of the wellness centers that the anti-vaxers have set up.  You know.  The ones that bring people into their clinic by telling people that they'll help them, when they're sick.  But actually, the purpose of the clinic is to prevent patients from receiving vaccines or antibiotics.  They'll offer a full range of services for people who are ill, except for vaccines or antibiotics.  The entire staff, the entire clinic was created around the notion that, before they've even seen a single patient, that every single patient who walks through the door, regardless of the patient's individual case or circumstances, will never receive vaccines or antibiotics.  In fact, no one on the clinic is even permitted to mention that there's a place down the road, which does provide those options. 

And it will require them to post a small legal disclaimer somewhere, that states that vaccines and antibiotics do actually exist, and that other health care providers actually offer them, and that they're actually covered by most insurance. 

Legal disclaimer:  California law requires me to mention that analogy and sarcasm actually exist, and that some times they are a valid way of making a point. 

Well...it's alittle hard to advertise abstinence at a pregnancy facility. That's putting the cart before the horse...

But adoption advertising...that would make sense.

certainly no harder than advertising termination at a pro-life pregnancy facility 

certainly no harder than advertising termination at a pro-life pregnancy facility

I think you missed the point...

It is kind of too late to advertise abstinence to an already pregnent woman...

Not too late to inform a pregnent woman of her options during her pregnancy...

you don't see the conflict?

termination and pregnancy do not co-exist ether, the well being of both humans is their goal

bit late for contraception as well :)

I think you're starting down the road of morality...

Advertising options to a pregnent woman about the pregnancy is valid (i.e. adoption, abortion, social services if keeping the baby, etc.).

I agree putting contraception options at a pregnancy facilty is stupid. The woman is already pregnant...cant prevent that part now....at least for the next 9 months. Now putting all the contraception options at PP or a facility that does after birth care....that would make sense.

termination and pregnancy do not co-exist ether, the well being of both humans is their goal

Uh, no, I'm pretty certain that every person who has ever had an abortion, was pregnant.

Although I suppose that does depend on how one chooses to define "abortion" and "pregnant".

last I checked the govt has a moral obligation to human life.....or so they constantly tell me in other instances.

and in this one since it is publicly funded.

Was is certainly operative Larry

Many of these pregnancy centers - which in states like Texas get funded with tax payer dollars - use unethical and down right creepy tactics. 

Many advertise and pretend to be medical clinics - even going to far to have staff wear white lab coats like doctors. They are not medical centers whatsoever.

Some women go to these centers because they think they are clinics looking for information about abortion or contraception. Instead, they get propaganda. 

They regularly cite false claims to visitors. Claim that abortion is dangerous, some still peddling the fake breast cancer connection. Many will claim you could be come sterile. 

The funny thing is we don't really give a **** to regulate them.

Many of these pregnancy centers - which in states like Texas get funded with tax payer dollars - use unethical and down right creepy tactics. Many advertise and pretend to be medical clinics - even going to far to have staff wear white lab coats like doctors. They are not medical centers whatsoever.

Yes, I've heard of horror stories. But I'm not going to leap to the conclusion that that's what all of them are. Or even that it's typical.

I'm certainly willing to assume that many of them are actually real doctors, practicing real medicine. (Who've decided, on their own, that in the specific case of abortion, their opinion overrides everything else).

Many of these pregnancy centers - which in states like Texas get funded with tax payer dollars - use unethical and down right creepy tactics. 

Many advertise and pretend to be medical clinics - even going to far to have staff wear white lab coats like doctors. They are not medical centers whatsoever.

Some women go to these centers because they think they are clinics looking for information about abortion or contraception. Instead, they get propaganda. 

They regularly cite false claims to visitors. Claim that abortion is dangerous, some still peddling the fake breast cancer connection. Many will claim you could be come sterile. 

The funny thing is we don't really give a **** to regulate them.

Not nearly as creepy as a abortion clinic with aborted babies in the waste bin. But let's get back to the topic.

That might be the lousiest advertisement I have ever seen. I was expecting posters and pamphlets.

Not nearly as creepy as a abortion clinic with aborted babies in the waste bin. But let's get back to the topic.

"I don't want to debate the morality of abortion but I will get my jabs in whenever I can and then tell people to get back to topic".

That might be the lousiest advertisement I have ever seen. I was expecting posters and pamphlets.

"I don't want to debate the morality of abortion but I will get my jabs in whenever I can and then tell people to get back to topic".

And eye for an eye and all that.

Archived