Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

I would like to know what the NRA thinks of this story.

I would imagine they are helping the poor guy who didn't get to buy a gun file a lawsuit against the gun store owner.

Edit- and no I'm not kidding.

If the interpretation of the constitution is that people are guaranteed access to firearms, and the courts have ruled that there are are only certain reasonable restrictions that are acceptable, why would the NRA be ok with a gun store owner unilaterally deciding to deny this man his constitutional right to purchase a gun?

Edited by skinsfan_1215

I would imagine they are helping the poor guy who didn't get to buy a gun file a lawsuit against the gun store owner.

Edit- and no I'm not kidding.

If the interpretation of the constitution is that people are guaranteed access to firearms, and the courts have ruled that there are are only certain reasonable restrictions that are acceptable, why would the NRA be ok with a gun store owner unilaterally deciding to deny this man his constitutional right to purchase a gun?

As funny as it would be to think about, an individual private citizen (in this case the gun dealer) can't violate someone's Constitutional right in that manner.  The 2nd amendment, like the others, guarantees that the government will not make laws/take action to infringe on an individual's rights.  As much as some of us might like to be, we're not the government.  The 2nd amendment doesn't force me to sell you a gun any more than the 1st amendment forces me to let you have a protest rally in my living room.

Edited by Stugein

A few years ago a guy who was fired went to buy weapons in an agitated state. He got a visit from the police. There was a thread here where a number of posters were very upset that he was being harassed when he hadn't committed a crime ... yet.

Edited by Corcaigh

It's not even that uncommon.  From addicts to obvious straw purchases to people who seem depressed, gun store owners will often deny sales before even getting the the background check phase.  This one just happened to make the news because of what they think the guy was going to do.

""When we arrived, he had almost 50 rounds of 20-gauge shot gun shell ammunition ready to purchase," Sheriff Lanny North said."

To be fair, that's not even a lot.  That's like, 2 standard boxes.  You'd go through that in less than an hour shooting clays.

Agreed.  This isn't proof of an imminent mass shooting, by a long shot. 

In addition, a 20 gauge shotgun doesn't exactly scream "terrorist plot in progress" to me, either. 

(In fact, I'm wondering if Wal Mart would even stock 20 ga shells in anything but Trap & Skeet loads.  I confess, I have no clue.) 

Still, strike a blow for "I just had a hunch".  Guy didn't have to do that. 

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

Maybe the guy was gay and the store owner was refusing on account of religious grounds. He might shoot skeet with his his boyfriend, and just the thought of that would likely get him in dutch with the Big Dude.

But, i support the gun store owner, and unfortunately, i think he's going to get the shaft, and likely because someone will bring up bakeries not being allowed to discriminate against gays.

Based on what little info I have, it seems to me the store owner made a decision based on the responsibility of selling deadly weapons to potential killers.

Considering this guy has been in business selling firearms, i'd think he has probably considered it before, and I'd be willing to go with his intuition. Turning away a sale is an important decision, especially when you're selling expensive items. Considering the guy came back..

I'd be willing to bet a gun store owner isn't spooked easily... but enough to call 911 is significant.

Now, in the other guy's defense, i don' know what "being in danger of becoming drug dependent" is... and i don't know why the cops could use that as any probable cause.

i think we're all that, aren't we?

~Bang

Edited by Bang

This is a hard one. I'm totally uncomfortable with punishing someone for some thing they haven't done yet. I'm also extremely thankful for the apparently good instincts of this gun store owner and am glad the police were called. Messy.

""When we arrived, he had almost 50 rounds of 20-gauge shot gun shell ammunition ready to purchase," Sheriff Lanny North said."

To be fair, that's not even a lot. That's like, 2 standard boxes. You'd go through that in less than an hour shooting clays.

Yeah I always laugh when people go over the top with that stuff. People buy ammo in bulk. The news is like 'hundreds of rounds of ammo!' And it's less than the limit on a purchase at Walmart. Just sensationalism.

Yeah I always laugh when people go over the top with that stuff. People buy ammo in bulk. The news is like 'hundreds of rounds of ammo!' And it's less than the limit on a purchase at Walmart. Just sensationalism.

Yeah exactly.  Hell, I've got "hundreds of rounds of ammo" laying around just because Dick's had a good sale and I haven't been to the range lately. :P

Yeah exactly. Hell, I've got "hundreds of rounds of ammo" laying around just because Dick's had a good sale and I haven't been to the range lately. :P

Pretty much everyone where I live has 'hundreds of rounds of ammunition'.

Hell, many repack their own ammo. Could you imagine the headlines? Dude is making ammo! Or something.

I think most people around here would be described as having an 'arsenal' of weapons because they have various rifles and shotguns. Imagine this - some guns are better for some animals than others. Even further - we have different hunting seasons that restrict the type of weapon. Cross bow, black powder, shotgun, and rifles.

The madness!

• Like 1

Pretty much everyone where I live has 'hundreds of rounds of ammunition'.

Hell, many repack their own ammo. Could you imagine the headlines? Dude is making ammo! Or something.

I think most people around here would be described as having an 'arsenal' of weapons because they have various rifles and shotguns. Imagine this - some guns are better for some animals than others. Even further - we have different hunting seasons that restrict the type of weapon. Cross bow, black powder, shotgun, and rifles.

The madness!

Real men don't hunt squirrels with elephant guns, tshile. I suggest you stop with the overkill.

Police: Arkansas woman shot with own gun in struggle with intruders

A Centerton woman was shot with her own gun during a struggle after two intruders entered her home Tuesday morning, according to a police news release.

The woman called 911 at 8:12 a.m. from 1220 Torbay Trace and said someone was in her house, according to the news release. She armed herself with a handgun and hid in a closet.

Two men entered the room where she was and charged her, the news release stated. In the struggle, the woman was shot in her abdomen and leg before the men fled.

Click on the link for the full article

There's a reason why police are trained to not let people within 21 feet if they feel they are a threat. (At least the ones I know say that's the distance, I think)

People can close much quicker than you think, and actually taking aim and firing when you're under stress, at a live target, isn't as easy as in the movie...

Edited by tshile

So I saw something on Twitter and I have an honest question. What is the reasoning behind wanting the gun maker held liable for the actions some does with their product? I have heard the libs propose this and just ignored it because they're liberals and usually against guns. But what is the actual reasoning they use for it? We don't hold the auto maker or beer maker responsible for DUI's. We don't hold the server manufacturer responsible when someone wrongly stores classified data on their product (saw that on Twitter, made me laugh). I get these aren't exact parallels so please don't waste your time pointing that out. But what is the justification for suing the gun manufacturer? I would be all for it if they made a gun that was "legal" but could be made to work in an illegal manner (say full auto for example) by inserting a paper clip or something like that. But speaking of the run of the mill gun maker, what is the argument for it?

Thanks.

so how long was the police response time?

certainly pays to position yourself to fire to deny access rather than waiting in a closet.

Yep. I can grab this & move here, you get that & go there. Furniture is rather strategically placed.

may get access, but won't get far, and definitely won't get me