Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

16 minutes ago, twa said:

You are going to subject them to x-rays daily and ya'll worry about second hand smoke?

:)

One you should worry about their dentist than the body scan. ;)

"The TSA's scanners use an imaging system known as backscatter technology, which works by hitting a passenger with low-dose X-ray radiation as they stand between two box detectors. The image is produced on a nearby computer and can reveal weapons and explosives hiding under clothing or stowed away inside a person's body.

The key here is "low-dose." The average radiation exposure, as quoted by the TSA, for each scan is about .15 uSv (a unit of radiation), which is many times less than what you're exposed to at the dentist's office. In fact, according to the American College of Radiology and the American Roentgen Ray Society, an airline passenger flying cross-country is exposed to more naturally-occurring cosmic radiation from the flight than from screening by one of these devices."

Good thing I hate flying. :)

@tshile I've never taken you for an NRA mouthpeice and anyone that thinks that isn't listening to you.

In regards to good guy with a gun going wrong in a school setting, I know I come across so adamant about it that it does come across like I expect worst case scenarios.  Mistakes happen, and in a school setting, its not a matter of if, but when.  Teachers are also getting caught leaving their guns in the open, these are people we are supposed to trust making mistakes that could absolutely backfire.  By increasing the probability, you increase the risk of it going wrong, that's all I'm saying.

I try to read some opinion pieces for and against this, I'll post some and hope I don't derail the thread too much by doing so:

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2018/02/nra_school_shooting.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/i-m-army-veteran-gun-owner-good-guy-gun-theory-ncna821976

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/evd4we/the-good-guy-with-a-gun-theory-debunked

Serious topic, but I'm going to post this anyway : )

I don't want to stop people from doing the right thing if that's what they want to do nor am I saying that it's pointless.  That's a fair point that some teachers WANT to do this, even if most don't (do we still tell them "no" all things considered?).  It's a question we shouldn't be asking, but you're right, we have to because the powers that be are taking too long and people are dying in the meantime.

All of this makes me sick, I have multiple teachers in my family, none of them want this, but all understand why its come to this point.  If there's one option that I want to avoid, its more guns to counter the fact we have too many to begin with.

Edit: We live in the same state, btw, so I understand where you're coming from more then it may seem at times.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

If all states had Mass's demographics what would the gun death rate be?

If all states had Baltimore's demographics what would the gun death rate be?

If Mass had Texas's demographics what would the gun death rate be?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twa said:

If all states had Mass's demographics what would the gun death rate be?

If all states had Baltimore's demographics what would the gun death rate be?

If Mass had Texas's demographics what would the gun death rate be?

California probably covers everything you are trying to get at. And Cali has seen a dramatic decrease in gun deaths over the past 25 years as it has enacted tougher gun laws.

Seems to be doing better than most states in the US:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

21 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

California probably covers everything you are trying to get at. And Cali has seen a dramatic decrease in gun deaths over the past 25 years as it has enacted tougher gun laws.

Not so much

Interesting variable in the murder rates vs gun death rate if you believe gun laws reduce murder

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-nationally-and-state#MRord

On 5/26/2018 at 12:42 PM, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Why CC? Because we are an imperfect society. I know I would rather not see everyone walking around with a 9mm on their hip. But I'm perfectly aware that many have them concealed. I cringe to thinking about how society already treats young men playing ball, imagine if there was a conspicuous firearm also on "display". 

If folks open carried they immediately become a primary target for a criminal. 

I open carried once in my life. The fear is immediate from certain folks. 

I have no intention to intimidate people, I simply want to have the option to protect myself and others if needed. 

On 5/26/2018 at 12:24 AM, tshile said:

I grew up in a mindet of - you don’t tell people you have guns, you don’t tell people you carry a gun, you don’t showboat about your guns. So... I’m not saying it’s the absolute right view but I’d accept banning open carry for so, so many reasons. 

So you grew up right, with parents and mentors that actually taught you things instead of teaching yourself and trying to figure it out. I knew there was more than just me. 

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Just when I was mistaken that perhaps you are capable of staying on point:

Actually 3 strikes was a huge part of that. Not to mention police actually being involved in the communities. 

Edited by Kosher Ham
Transposed "being".
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Actually 3 strikes was a huge part of that. Not to mention police actually being involved in the communities. 

I am open to seeing the evidence on this. Because the data on gun related homicides, suicides and gun laws is very clear:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2673375

In this cross-sectional study, strong firearm laws in a state were associated with lower firearm suicide rates and lower overall suicide rates in the state regardless of the strength of the laws in other states. Strong firearm laws in a state were associated with lower rates of firearm homicide. Counties in states with weak laws had lower rates of firearm homicide only when surrounding states had strong laws.

Edited by No Excuses

17 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Wish the chart went back to the 90's or 80's even. 3453 in 2005 compared to 3184 in 2016, second only to Texas in overall quantity of gun deaths (high population factor). Still, that's an 8% decrease over 11 years, when I'm sure the population has also increased.

If there is anything the internet has taught me is that there is a market for anything, no matter how degenerate it is. If a maker could figure out how to sell one without legal trouble, u can bet there would be a child rape video game.

There is no bottom to human depravity.

~Bang

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't know what's worse:  That they made the game in the first place or That there is a market for it.  They wouldn't of made it if there wasn't a market for it.

They just took an existing genre and changed the players to kids and cops, instead of soldiers or other random adult characters. Let that settle in as you (or a school kid) are playing one of the most popular games in the world, Fortnite Battle Royale. I'm becoming more and more against first person shooters and violent video games as I get older.

Edited by Zguy28

1 minute ago, Zguy28 said:

They just took an existing genre and changed the players to kids and cops, instead of soldiers or other random adult characters. Let that settle in as you (or a school kid) are playing one of the most popular games in the world, Fortnite Battle Royale.

I haven't played shooter games regularly since GoldenEye, but yes, I'm thinking about it, and yes, I'm disappointed.  I've brought up my mixed feelings on military's involvement in certain popular shooter games, they are preparing us for one thing, but some are using it for something else.

28 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

They just took an existing genre and changed the players to kids and cops, instead of soldiers or other random adult characters. Let that settle in as you (or a school kid) are playing one of the most popular games in the world, Fortnite Battle Royale. I'm becoming more and more against first person shooters and violent video games as I get older.

eh fortnight is very comic-like

my first thought was counter strike... and how that'd go over today.... omg you get to pick the terrorists. and you blow things up!

i can't figure out how i feel about this.

43 minutes ago, tshile said:

eh fortnight is very comic-like

my first thought was counter strike... and how that'd go over today.... omg you get to pick the terrorists. and you blow things up!

i can't figure out how i feel about this.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare in 2007 allowed players to play as middle eastern terrorists against America/British soldiers in it's multiplayer. It was a big deal like a week and then everyone realized that it didn't really matter or impact anyone at all. 

Of course, then in 2009 COD Modern Warfare 2 had a level where you controlled an undercover FBI agent that had infiltrated a terrorist cell and went along with them as they massacred civilians in an airport. You could make it through the entire level without shooting anyone and it even gave you the option to skip the mission ahead of time. I do think this probably went a little too far, not that it creates killers or mass shooters just in that it's extremely poor taste for shock value only. 

• Like 1