Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

What is the argument against universal background checks?  That they would prevent criminals from obtaining guns, and that would hurt gun manufacturers bottom lines?

Same as people on the no fly list and people who are clinically insane im sure. 

39 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

What is the argument against universal background checks?  That they would prevent criminals from obtaining guns, and that would hurt gun manufacturers bottom lines?

Not to mention, with the way things are going, if universal background checks became a thing they'd make the laws more lax so that people didn't get tripped up by the check, see: changes to make it easier for mental health patients to get guns.

While I agree automatic (military style) weapons ban, gun show loopholes, and more reliable background checks should all be on the table, the Dems would be smart to not start here with those issues. It's a no win proposition with the right. Sure doing the right thing shouldn't be political, but unfortunately it is. What the Dems should do to control this narrative is the following manner: 

• Recognize there is now some support for the ACA and the repeal and replace hasn't been seen as particularly popular across both sides of the aisle. 
  • Move the discussion to how the bills brought forth by the right have medicaid cuts. Make a point of explaining these medicaid cuts could be used to help those with mental afflictions.
  • If the right truly thinks there is an issue with mental health (which I'm not so sure they truly believe it), the Dems could force their hand on the issue. Force a nationwide discussion on mental health issues and its impact on society. 
Edited by Busch1724

5 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

If the right truly thinks there is an issue with mental health (which I'm not so sure they truly believe it), the Dems could force their hand on the issue. Force a nationwide discussion on mental health issues and its impact on society. 

They don't.

They speak of caring with their mouths while taking away with their hands.

It's a deflection tool, nothing more.  Use it in a few debates so you can act like you give a crap about solving an issue and then when the news cycle shifts go right back to trying to take away medicaid/medicare/healthcare/etc.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GhostofSparta said:

You may want to edit or delete that last cartoon, as the profanity filter will not catch that f-bomb.

Thanks for the heads up!  I didn't even think about the profanity.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Your first picture absolutely isn't true and I dare you to prove otherwise.  Guns are much heavier regulated than "your uterus".

When the Republicans are doing everything they can to outlaw abortion, put limits on a legal medical procedure, then yes, uteruses are more heavily regulated than guns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

When the Republicans are doing everything they can to outlaw abortion, put limits on a legal medical procedure, then yes, uteruses are more heavily regulated than guns.

But they havent accomplished this.  Want to take aguess at the number of gun related laws vs uterus related laws?  If you want to make an argument, at least use something close to facts.  Otherwise we may mistake you for Fox news.

• Like 3

But they have, you're not paying attention. We still have Roe v. Wade, but the Republican controlled states and the Republican platform are working in concert to deny abortions past a certain point, criminalize doctors performing abortions, putting restrictions on abortion clinics, and more. 

7 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

But they have, you're not paying attention. We still have Roe v. Wade, but the Republican controlled states and the Republican platform are working in concert to deny abortions past a certain point, criminalize doctors performing abortions, putting restrictions on abortion clinics, and more. 

I am paying attention.  But to say there is more regulation is still false.  And it hurts any future argument you make on this subject.  There certainly are regulations on a uterus.  But they pale in comparison to gun regs.

• Like 1

CNN article premise:

Authorities haven't told us what guns were used but here's a bunch of random guesses so you can discuss your gun law ideas without any information on the guns used in this shooting

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

Aren't people right in this thread and the other one saying that the NRA already has what they want, and it's nearly impossible to get any legislation passed with any other restrictions? 

Even fully automatic weapons can be licensed, and current regs are holey enough to drive a truck through. And they are getting ready to pass a law permitting the unrestricted buying of silencers.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

Im curious what the other pro gun people here think about bump stocks and how much they should be available......

I'd be fine with similar background checks to automatics.

Not a fan.

94Posted at 6:22 pm by Glenn Reynolds permalink.gif  

28 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Im curious what the other pro gun people here think about bump stocks and how much they should be available......

I don't know if I qualify as pro gun. I'm certainly not anti-gun.

I don't understand why those are legal. They should fall into the categories for automatic weapons and grenade launchers, and if you do that then what's the point? I guess cheaper than a machine gun.

Honestly, I think the gun manufactures have a responsibility to the rest of us and manufacturing bump fire mechanisms would go against that. To me that's profiteering at the expense of mass shooting. 

• Like 1

I'm so conflicted on this.  As a liberal I still feel like people should be able to own a gun to protect their homes/familes or even used to hunt,even though I'm not a hunter. 

Otoh I feel like having 47weapons, some of which have been converted to automatic weapons is completely unnecessary.

I also believe if there were a ban on these conversion mechanisms there wouldn't have been nearly as many fatalities.  

Personally I would be willing to give up my right to bear arms if it means not having to deal with innocent lives being lost.  But that's just my opinion. 

At some point we're all gonna have to have this conversation and that means we're all gonna have to compromise. 

I just don't think that's possible in today's society. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1