Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

22 minutes ago, tshile said:

No twa, you can't study it, because they have removed or blocked attempts to force data collection an accuracy.

Hard to study something for which you have very little information, especially when it's that way by design.

Why did that happen?

Many studies have been done since the CDC got ****slapped for bias.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/12/15/why-congress-cut-the-cdcs-gun-research-budget/

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

What's the deal with being able to check your ammo?  That's ridiculous.  Buy some ammo when you get to where you're going.

If you make your own ammo which many hunters and people shooting for long range accuracy do.  And it goes back to why not be able to have a gun and ammo there?  What makes baggage claim so different than any other place people gather?

40 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

If you make your own ammo which many hunters and people shooting for long range accuracy do.  And it goes back to why not be able to have a gun and ammo there?  What makes baggage claim so different than any other place people gather?

The dude had a handgun.  Try to stay focused on the actual case at hand instead of mindlessly regurgitating talking points like the programmed robot that you are.

Edit:. BTW, when I say, as I frequently do, that the NRA is a death cult this is exactly what I mean.  Dead bodies laying all over the Ft. Lauderdale airport and this dude is in here spouting off useless nonsense about hunters that make their own ammo.  Mindless, subservient and lacking any sense of humanity.  A cultist by any reasonable definition.

Edited by TryTheBeal!

I am already annoyed when I have to go to the airport. 

This shooting is the last thing I needed. 

I blame video games...in this game there is no re-start though, and certainly can't just sit back and enjoy a Dr. Pepper when I am done. 

Somewhat snarky, somewhat honest in that above statement. 

I think all responsible and law abiding gun owners would not actually have a problem with a mental exam for gun ownership, that won't stop all of the crazy people...but it might slow them down a bit. Some will feign rebuttal, but that would be simply window dressing. 

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The dude had a handgun.  Try to stay focused on the actual case at hand instead of mindlessly regurgitating talking points like the programmed robot that you are.

Yes, and there are professional shooters who competition shoot with handguns. And in the haste to "do something" lets remember that EVERYONE who has ever flown and who checked firearms in their baggage didn't shoot up an airport.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Yes, and there are professional shooters who competition shoot with handguns. And in the haste to "do something" lets remember that EVERYONE who has ever flown and who checked firearms in their baggage didn't shoot up an airport.

Won't anyone think of the "professional shooters"?!?

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Edit:. BTW, when I say, as I frequently do, that the NRA is a death cult this is exactly what I mean.  Dead bodies laying all over the Ft. Lauderdale airport and this dude is in here spouting off useless nonsense about hunters that make their own ammo.  Mindless, subservient and lacking any sense of humanity.  A cultist by any reasonable definition.

Uummmm.....lots of people make their own handgun ammo also.  So again, the point doesn't change.  But thanks for showing that you don't actually know anything about guns and that world. 

Im the robot regurgitating talking points?  "Some one did something bad so let's get rid of guns/ammo in those areas". How has regurgitating that talking point worked out for you?  Or regurgitating the talking point about the NRA?  You freaking anti-gun people are so whiny.  I've tried working with people here to come up with reasonable gun control ideas but instead you come in here and act like that and wonder why nothing changes.  Screw this.  From now on I'm going to be against any additional gun control.  I will fight against any change unless it is loosening gun control.  This is the result of name calling anyone who doesn't agree with your position and trying to control something you know nothing about.

Why aren't you screaming about how someone walked into the FBI and said they hear voices from IsIS and he was still allowed to have a gun?  I could have gotten behind some changes due to that.  But no, you want to punish everyone because a crazy guy brought himself to the attention of the authorities and STILL nothing was done.  

And please stop stop crying about the NRA.  Yes I don't like them either but don't make it out to sound like they are unbeatable.  The tobacco lobby was just as powerful and we still got things done despite them.  You know why you can't beat the NRA?  But cause your arguments and ideas are stupid.  

Edit:  and it isn't just professionals who make their own ammo.  Many recreational shooters do also because it is cheaper if you do it in bulk.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I don't know why mental health issues aren't shared with the ATF for purposes of gun/ammo buying. I know about HIPAA, and respect that, however, for gun ownership, people with mental health issues shouldn't own guns.

Of course they shouldn't. Hasn't this been the common denominator of all these mass shootings? A mental health issue? Clearly a mental health background check should be mandatory for gun purchase and or ownership.  The ownership issue may be tricky in case a mental health issue should manifest itself after a legal purchase.

The issue you run into with having mental health checks (and I'm not saying I'm necessarily against it, I'm just trying to consider the different angles), is then you're potentially creating a scenario where people will avoid seeking help because they know that will put them in a database to limit their rights.

5 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

The issue you run into with having mental health checks (and I'm not saying I'm necessarily against it, I'm just trying to consider the different angles), is then you're potentially creating a scenario where people will avoid seeking help because they know that will put them in a database to limit their rights.

This is one concern.  Also, where would the line be drawn regarding how crazy you have to be to lose your ability to own a weapon.  How can I regain that right.  What if it is contrable with medication.  Why a if I'm fine but live with someone who is a little crazy.  There are lots of things that would have to be worked out.

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

This is one concern.  Also, where would the line be drawn regarding how crazy you have to be to lose your ability to own a weapon.  How can I regain that right.  What if it is contrable with medication.  Why a if I'm fine but live with someone who is a little crazy.  There are lots of things that would have to be worked out.

Indeed.  It's a conversation worth having to figure out all the angles.

6 hours ago, twa said:

you may study it all you wish sacks,however using  govt agency funds to lobby against rights will get pushback.....and has.

almost shut down a govt agency .:) 

We're allowed to study it all we want except not at all and here's the reason we're giving as to why which sounds better than the real reason why.

Actually, on the government forms, both federal and Virginia, there's a couple of questions about mental health, but a buyer can always say they don't have those issues, and because of HIPAA the responses can't be checked.

There are questions about drug use too. I'm guessing there's lots of lying about that too.

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

We're allowed to study it all we want except not at all and here's the reason we're giving as to why which sounds better than the real reason why.

Google gun studies...ya will find quite a few

Is the real reason you claim they are not being done is because you want different ones? ....or just different results

58 minutes ago, twa said:

Google gun studies...ya will find quite a few

Is the real reason you claim they are not being done is because you want different ones? ....or just different results

I'm not going to argue about this. The NRA has used and continues to use its political clout to block research on gun violence. Not up for debate.The reason is because they want to sell more guns.

I have no problem with gun owners. The NRA are not the "good guys with guns" though.

I don't want any particular results for a study. I would just like to know so that we can make informed decisions on what will make Americans more safe. If the study comes back and says everybody over the age of 11 should own 30 guns, I'd be for it. If it says nobody should own any guns at all, that would be cool with me as well. Being not a total dummy, I'm pretty sure that neither of those is the case but that there are some very simple, common sense measures to be taken that would save a bunch of lives and would not impede on anyone's rights.

Probably wouldn't affect gun sales either except that they triple whenever the NRA scares people into believing that the tyrants are coming for their 2nd amendment.

One way to deal with the need/right to travel with a gun and not have people have guns in airports, would be to require you to ship them from your local licensed dealer to one where you're going, you can pick them up when you get there.

Like shipsticks but for guns.

It'd make it more expensive, require more planning, and maybe even a large hassle depending on how close a dealer is at start/destination.

I'm not saying that should be the rule. Just saying you could do it that way and get rid of the guns/planes thing.

I realize, as has been pointed out, this occurred in an area anyone could walk into.

Edited by tshile