• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

Dont Taze Me Bro

The Gun Control Debate Thread - Say hello to my little thread

Not that you can be too careful, but do you come from a family of safecrackers or what?

No but the kids are old enough to put some thought into the combo for the safe with the guns. Honestly wouldn't be that hard for them to figure out if they tried. I keep the ammo in a safe with a key that stays with me. I think keeping the two separate is an added level of safety. And I can't fit the guns in the ammo safe. It's just a small fire rated safe. I use that so the fireman aren't in danger if my home burns down. The gun safe isn't fire rated.

• Like 1

From the comments section of that article.

The mother, Christy Byrd Sheats, had recently posted the following on her Facebook page: "It would be horribly tragic if my ability to protect myself or my family were to be taken away, but that's exactly what Democrats are determined to do by banning semi-automatic handguns."

---------------------------------------------------

Just imagine if Christy Byrd Sheats had not had the ability to "protect" her family her family would be alive today and so would she. Very sad situation.

Move along... move along... no need to bring personal emotions into our logucal, non-emotional 2nd amendment discussion... more guns make us safer!
  • Like 1

I got a dollar that says mom shot her kids over the gun debate.

Either way, no amount of insanity will ever matter, will it?

~Bang

Edited by Bang

I got  dollar that says mom shot her kids over the gun debate.

They were trying to take her gun away.

I got a dollar that says mom shot her kids over the gun debate.

Either way, no amount of insanity will ever matter, will it?

~Bang

Can't win a debate? Murder your daughters, then suicide by cop.

Yes. Nothing will ever change. If they won't change anything after a school full of children gets shot up then they won't ever change a thing.

Now that he's lost the team name debate, UnWise Mike has turned his attention to gun control: 

https://theundefeated.com/features/americas-nostalgic-gun-culture-defies-logic-and-common-sense/

Deep down, we cling to guns because we fear people of color will one day rise up and seek vindication for our sins. N.R.A. – The National Revenge Association.

This guy is sick and needs help. 

Now that he's lost the team name debate, UnWise Mike has turned his attention to gun control: 

https://theundefeated.com/features/americas-nostalgic-gun-culture-defies-logic-and-common-sense/

This guy is sick and needs help.

A far more reasonable and plausible notion than "unchecked masses of undercover Minutemen waiting to fight the 2nd American Revolution against our own government".

A far more reasonable and plausible notion than "unchecked masses of undercover Minutemen waiting to fight the 2nd American Revolution against our own government".

you ever met some them ?  :P

they put their money where there mouth is....which is why the rest of us arm up  :lol:

• Like 1

you ever met some them ?  :P

they put their money where there mouth is....which is why the rest of us arm up  :lol:

So, your point is that nut jobs with easy access to heavy weapons leads to increased gun sales? 

Sigh, just when you start seeing productive conversations a flamethrower like UnWise Mike comes along to make sure everyone starts screaming and no one starts/continuing listening. Mike's arguments will do no good other than to stiffen the necks of the gun rights side. It also doesn't help that as usual his reasoning is on the stupid side.

So, your point is that nut jobs with easy access to heavy weapons leads to increased gun sales? 

I wasn't aware there was easy access to heavy weapons

are we talking about these?

machine guns, mortars, rocket-propelled grenades, flamethrowers, grenade launchers, anti-tankweapons, and/or other portable crew-served weapons.

UnWise Mike has an uncanny ability to mix in a few decent points with thousand of words of nonsense that isn't fit to be printed on toilet paper. I got through like 1/5 of that article before I rolled my eyes, said "wow this is horse****" and closed the page.

Edited by skinsfan_1215

NPR: Supreme Court Rules Domestic Abusers Can Lose Their Gun-Ownership Rights

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled today in a 6-2 vote that domestic abusers convicted of misdemeanors can be barred from owning weapons.

The majority opinion, written by Justice Elena Kagan, concludes that misdemeanor assault convictions for domestic violence are sufficient to invoke a federal ban on firearms possession.

The plaintiffs in this case, Stephen Voisine and William Armstrong, both of Maine, had pleaded guilty in state court to misdemeanor assault charges after slapping or shoving their romantic partners. Several years later, each man was found to have firearms and ammunition in their possession in violation of a federal law affecting convicted domestic abusers.

Washington Post - In Virginia, felon voting rights mean simpler path to gun ownership

Gov. Terry McAuliffe’s order last month restoring the voting rights of 206,000 felons had an unintended consequence: It’s now easier for those ex-offenders to regain the right to own guns.

Before the order, felons who wanted to legally possess firearms firsthad to go through the process of having their civil rights reinstated, including the right to vote, to sit on a jury and to run for office.

That process — which involved submitting forms that were scrutinized by the secretary of the commonwealth’s staff, using the governor’s authority — is no longer in place.

Instead, felons who have completed their sentences can go straight to the step of petitioning the circuit court for firearm rights. Prosecutors review those petitions and can intervene if they believe a felon should continue to be barred from owning a weapon.

McAuliffe shortened from five years to three the waiting period for violent felons to apply for rights restoration after completing their sentences; eliminated the requirement that those felons write a letter to the governor explaining why their rights should be restored; and removed the requirement that felons pay court costs and fees associated with their efforts. He also shortened the application form from 13 pages to one page for violent felons; McDonnell had previously shortened it only for nonviolent felons.

But prosecutors say they still relied heavily on that first step in the process and lack the resources to do extensive research for each firearms request.

LOL whoops. Bet you didn't see that one coming.

Edited by tshile

LOL whoops. Bet you didn't see that one coming.

Well, it is Virginia. At least it's not Texas. There the guards hand them weapons upon release.

How frightening to find a stranger in your child's room.  

Oregon Mother Shoots and Kills Intruder She Discovered in Child's Bedroom

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/oregon-mother-shoots-and-kills-intruder-she-discovered-in-childs-bedroom/ar-AAhFFqO?li=BBnbfcL

Amber Murray, a neighbor, told KOIN 6 News that there had been "a few squatters in and out of [the home]" before the mother and her daughters moved in.

Interesting place.

Edited by visionary

so misdemeanors lose right and felons regain them?

I'm not aware of what rights you lose for misdemeanors? 

The conviction of any violent crime should ==  no gun ownership rights.

You would think.

But a 1 page paper, with no costs, gets you on the road to gun ownership again.

I'm not aware of what rights you lose for misdemeanors? 

You would think.

But a 1 page paper, with no costs, gets you on the road to gun ownership again.

I believe he is referring to losing your rights to own a gun for domestic violence misdemeanors.  The SC just ruled on that and it's in a few posts above.