Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

First a pandemic, then civil unrest: Gun sales spike again

Phones have been ringing off the hook and the line has been wrapped around the building at Coliseum Gun Traders in Uniondale, Nassau County, ever since the coronavirus pandemic began. And now with protests and rioting after the killing of George Floyd, the store has seen another enormous spike in sales. Keeping the shelves stocked has been hard, store owner Andy Chernoff said.

"We started out this week with a fair amount of merchandise. We're running out. Literally running out," Chernoff said. "Never thought I'd say that."

And it's the same story at Jimmy's Sport Shop in Mineola. Jay Zeng said the store opens at noon and they work until midnight.

"Now I see a lot of minorities buying guns to try to protect their homes," co-owner Jimmy Gong said. 

The surge is not limited to Long Island. Nationwide, an estimated 1.7 million guns were sold in May, an 80% jump compared to the same time last year, according to Small Arms Analytics and Forecasting, a private research firm.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China

Florida reporting a surge in gun sales as well:

Floridians stocking up on guns, ammunition during pandemic, civil unrest

A global pandemic and a nationwide reckoning on race and police brutality has lead Floridians to their local gun shop.

“In light of everything going on, now is the time,” said David Guillermo, who lives in Lakeland.

Guillermo has considered buying a gun for a few years.

With images of violence across the country and a new baby to protect, he found himself at a Polk County gun store Wednesday.

“I just want us to be able to protect ourselves if things were to go how they have been in New York and Lakeland the other day,” said Guillermo. “Hopefully I never have to use my gun but I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.” 

A peaceful Black Lives Matter protest in Munn Park led to unrest a few blocks away Sunday.

The next day, Sheriff Grady Judd issued a warning for looters about Polk County gun owners.

“If you value your life, you probably shouldn’t do that in Polk County because the people of Polk County like guns. They have guns,” he said. “If you try to break into their homes to steal, to set fires, I’m highly recommending they blow you back out of the house with their guns.”

• 2 weeks later...

Roofing company workers forced onto ground, held at gunpoint by man who thought they were Antifa

LOVELAND, Colo. — A Loveland man faces felony charges after allegedly concluding that two men going door-to-door in his neighborhood were members of the protest movement known as Antifa – and then ordering them to the ground and holding them at gunpoint, 9Wants to Know has learned.

The incident unfolded after the man called police, said there were two men wearing masks near his home, and announced he was armed and going to go confront them, Loveland Police Lt. Bob Shaffer confirmed to 9Wants to Know.

When officers arrived in the 2400 block of Dawn Court around 6 p.m. Thursday, they encountered Scott Gudmundsen – dressed in fatigues and holding two men on the ground at gunpoint, Shaffer said.

But the men weren’t troublemakers – they work for a local roofing company and were wearing blue polo shirts with the firm’s name on them, shorts, tennis shoes and white surgical-style masks, Shaffer said.

One of them is a Colorado State University football player who is 20 years old and works part-time at the roofing company. The student is a "man of color," according to a statement from the university. 

‘What, are you going to shoot me?’: Palm Harbor man kills friend showing off gun, deputies say

Two 26-year-old friends were hanging out and playing video games at a home in Palm Harbor when one shot the other while showing him what he thought was an unloaded gun.

According to Pinellas County deputies, Clearwater resident Sean Cook went to hang out at Shea Harkins’ house in Palm Harbor Thursday evening. Around 7:45 p.m., deputies said Harkins went to retrieve a Colt M4 rifle he had been customizing prior to Cook’s arrival.

Harkins reportedly told detectives he returned to his bedroom and pointed the rifle at Cook as a joke, which is when Cook responded, “What, are you going to shoot me?” Deputies said Harkins admitted to pulling the trigger on what he thought was an unloaded weapon.

Deputies said the gun had a bullet in the chamber and struck Cook in the chest. He was transported to Mease Countryside Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 8:55 p.m.

I used to shoot competition matches in my 20’s.  After I got married I stopped so I sold all my equipment. In 30 years I’ve never felt the need to have a gun.  Thanks to Trump and the conflict he nurses I just felt the need. I went and purchased a gun and will be shooting comps again as soon as Corona allows.  These people that just go buy one sit it on their nightstand and never use it scare the crap out of me. You need to be comfortable and rehearsed to use a gun effectively. Otherwise your just hoping for luck to be on your side.

• Like 5

1,000 Black gun owners plan pro-Second Amendment walk in Oklahoma

They will be arriving in peace, and hoping to carry a message.

Omar Chatman, 41, is one of the organizers for 1,000 brothers and sisters in arms, a pro-Second Amendment walk planned for Saturday led primarily by Black gun owners in Oklahoma.

The demonstration, which will begin at 2 p.m. at Ralph Ellison Memorial Library, is intended to bring attention to the fact that Black Americans’ constitutional rights to carry firearms are not often respected, Chatman said.

All are welcome to march in solidarity with the group, which expects between 200 and 300 people to attend in what they are saying will be a peaceful mile walk to the Governor’s Mansion.

“As an African American, it’s important to send a message to the governor and president that we aren’t going to allow people to come into our communities and brutalize us,” Chatman said. “That goes for corrupt police officers, white supremacists and criminals. Criminals have no color. It doesn’t matter if you are a Black man, white man, Asian or Hispanic.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Report: Shooter says woman said to “click” gun at her before fatal shooting

A shooter who said she accidentally fatally shot woman early Saturday near Ormond Beach stated that the victim told her the revolver was not loaded and to “click it” at her, according to a Volusia County Sheriff’s Office report and a 911 call.

The shooter pulled the trigger once and nothing happened but the second pull fired a round into the upper body of Ashleigh Murphy, 26, according to the report and a press release. She died less than 90 minutes later at Halifax Health Medical Center.

The boyfriend’s name has not been released yet and was redacted from the report. He has not been charged.

The shooter reported the incident about 2:40 a.m. Saturday inside a recreational vehicle trailer at 1869 Fairland Road, off North Tymber Creek Road, according to the report and a press release.

In a recording of a 911 call, the shooter, apparently a woman, screams that the Murphy had been shot.

“I did not mean to do this,” the 911 caller states.

“She asked me to,” the caller goes on to say later. “I didn’t think it was loaded.”

Karen's got a gun...

Angry exchange on video shows gun being pulled on mom, teen in Orion Twp.

An angry exchange with accusations of racism was caught on video outside of an Oakland County Chipotle restaurant and shows a woman allegedly pulling a gun on a mother and her 15-year-old daughter Wednesday evening.

Takelia Hill, who is Black, said her daughter was allegedly bumped into by a woman, who is white, before entering the fast-food restaurant in Orion Township at about 6 p.m. The daughter said she asked the woman for an apology and said the woman began yelling at her. 

“Before I could walk into Chipotle, this woman was coming out, and I had moved out the way so she can walk out," Makayla Green said. “She bumped me, and I said, 'Excuse you.' And then she started cussing me out and saying things like I was invading her personal space.”

The teen called her mother over because she said she was scared.

“I walked up on the woman yelling at my daughter," Hill said. “She couldn’t see me because her back was to me, but she was in my daughter's face."

The initial encounter was not caught on video. The footage starts after the altercation moved to the Chipotle parking lot near the vehicle of the woman accused of bumping into the teen. 

• 2 weeks later...

Why are these people so afraid?  Afraid to wear a mask, afraid to go out without a gun.

Man arrested after pulling gun during mask argument at Florida Walmart

A Florida man faces felony charges after he pulled a gun from his waistband and leveled it at a fellow Walmart shopper during an argument over face masks.

ghows-LK-200729209-5ff6a4a4.jpg?width=66

The encounter served as a linchpin in the debate over whether store owners and officials should require people to cover their faces inside buildings as the U.S. battles a surge in cases of COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus.

Vincent Scavetta, 28, was charged with aggravated assault with a firearm and improper exhibition of a firearm and arrested Wednesday after turning himself in, Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office officials report.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hersh said:

I'm excited for NRA members to defend the actions of the NRA. This should be fun. 

I'm excited to see the NRA fight this, and they have to fight this.  If they accept the AG's position, the organization dissolves.  So that means it will go to court, where a lot of the sordid details will be in the public's view (at least, whatever isn't already out there from the Post and others digging into this last year). 

• Like 4

TSA finding three times as many guns in carry-on luggage as before pandemic

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officers last month found firearms in carry-on bags at a rate three times higher than July of last year, despite a significantly lower volume of passengers amid the coronavirus pandemic. 

TSA officers detected 15.3 guns per million travelers last month, compared to 5.1 per million people screened during July 2019, the agency said Monday. 

The TSA warned that the figure is “particularly alarming” since officers screened about 75 percent fewer passengers last month than the previous year.