Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Admiring the number of people who will argue that gun owners are calm, peaceful, law abiding people, who will commit armed violence against the government and law enforcement if they try to enforce a law, with a straight face. 

Easily rephrased as "calm, peaceful, law abiding people who are probably quite proficient with using the weapons they own that would choose to use them if they felt the government were acting in a manner that is why have the 2nd amendment in the first place."

Especially veterans.  Many feel their duty to uphold and defend the constitution doesn't end just because their paycheck does.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Larry said:

Admiring the number of people who will argue that gun owners are calm, peaceful, law abiding people, who will commit armed violence against the government and law enforcement if they try to enforce a law, with a straight face. 

I have talked with several veterans who described what they saw happen to calm, peaceful, and law abiding citizens after they were disarmed to promote safety and the rule of law.  When they tell their stories, they have a very straight face.  

I have Native American friends here in South Dakota whose ancestors, including women and children, were slaughtered on the Pine Ridge reservation right after the American government disarmed them.  The soldiers were given the Medal of Honor for it.  The descriptions of the event are passed down from generation to generation in their families, and told with a straight face.

On 2/27/2020 at 7:01 AM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Parents should be held liable for not having the weapon secured.  We need to send a message to the idiot portion of gun owners.

Well, Virgina, at least, is working on that:

Lawmakers also approved legislation requiring gun owners to report lost or stolen guns to police and to toughen the penalty for leaving a loaded, unsecured firearm in a reckless manner that endangers a child.

Gov. Northam-backed gun control bills pass in Virginia

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Parts of Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam’s sweeping gun control legislation have won final passage in the General Assembly.

Lawmakers in the House and Senate gave final passage to several pieces of gun control legislation Friday.

That includes a red flag bill to allow authorities to temporarily take guns away from people deemed to be dangerous to themselves or others, and legislation giving local governments more authority to ban guns in public places.

They are the first pieces of Northam’s gun control agenda to reach final passage. Other bills, like universal background checks, are expected to pass in coming days.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

UPS worker suspected of planned shooting had 20,000 rounds of ammo in apartment: police

Authorities raided the California home of a UPS worker they suspected was about to go postal and, when they did, they found a staggering arsenal of weapons, including 20,000 rounds of ammo, nine firearms, body armor and high capacity magazines.

OZGY37RTNVG4JDUZDC3H6PB5XY.jpg

Several backpacks of ammunition, police said, were placed right near the front door of the apartment.

In a post on Facebook, the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety identified the employee as 32-year-old Thomas Andrews, who was arrested on charges of criminal threats, evading police, DUI and several weapons violations. Police suspected that he was planning to commit a mass shooting after he sent threatening messages to his employer, which implied he might carry out a shooting at the UPS facility in Sunnydale.

Authorities say Andrews was only registered as the owner of four handguns.

Docs: Addyston PD chief bought 64 machine guns, illegal rounds without village approval

ADDYSTON, Ohio — Over 2,200 pages of evidence against Addyston’s former police chief show a long trail of inappropriate spending, including using village funds to buy 64 machine guns over the last 2 1/2 years ⁠— all without the Village Council knowing.

“That boggles my mind,” said Addyston Village Councilman Jason Fry. “I mean, good God. That’s like one out of every 10 residents has a machine gun.”

Chief Dorain LaCourse resigned Sunday in the wake of allegations that he bought and sold weapons using his position at the police department without the Village Council’s approval, something Mayor Lisa Mear called “unauthorized and egregious conduct” at Monday's Village Council meeting.

Mark Doran, an investigator with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, also expressed concern when he inquired about over “$200,000 or more” in machine gun purchases in an email sent to LaCourse in October 2018.

“In short, this (Federal Firearms Licensee) has provided a letter indicating that Addyston PD has plans to purchase machine guns (some of which are belt fed currently in use by the U.S. Armed Forces ⁠— not a typical firearm used by police departments),” the email read. “My concern for the moment is that there has been a request for 64 machine guns for demonstrations over the past year, which is a rather large amount.”

School security guard accidentally shoots coworker in eye at Weston school, deputies say

WESTON, Fla. – A school security guard was arrested Thursday after he accidentally shot his coworker in the eye at a school in Weston, the Broward Sheriff’s Office said Friday in a news release.

The incident occurred in the parking lot of the private Sagemont School at 570 Sagemont Way in Weston, where Julian Antonio Suarez, 55, of Lauderdale Lakes, was not authorized to carry a gun, authorities said.

Suarez, who is employed by Kent Security, was scheduled to work a later shift that day at another school where he is authorized to carry a gun, Assistant Broward Public Defender Hector Romero said.

1 hour ago, China said:

Suarez, who is employed by Kent Security, was scheduled to work a later shift that day at another school where he is was authorized to carry a gun, Assistant Broward Public Defender Hector Romero said.

Hope I fixed that.  

New York man inadvertently shoots girlfriend while trying to pay for steakhouse dinner

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. – A New York man inadvertently shot his girlfriend while trying to pay for their steakhouse dinner, WIVB reports.

Cheektowaga police say 19-year-old Anthony Ciccarelli dined with his girlfriend at Texas De Brazil Thursday evening. He reached into the front pocket of his pants when the bill arrived, and his gun discharged. The gunshot hit his girlfriend in the upper leg.

• 1 month later...

As fewer people fly, rate of guns found in bags by TSA jumps

With far fewer people flying because of travel restrictions during the coronavirus pandemic, airport security screeners are naturally finding fewer guns in carry-on baggage.

But the ratio of guns to passengers seeking to board airplanes has jumped sharply.

The Transportation Security Administration said Monday that it found 58 guns at checkpoints from March 22 to April 22, compared with 346 guns over the same stretch last year.

Adjusting for the 95% drop in travelers, that means TSA screeners found one gun for every 80,000 people screened — or 2.7 times the rate of a year ago, when they found one gun for every 216,200 people.

On 3/13/2020 at 5:28 PM, China said:

New York man inadvertently shoots girlfriend while trying to pay for steakhouse dinner

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. – A New York man inadvertently shot his girlfriend while trying to pay for their steakhouse dinner, WIVB reports.

Cheektowaga police say 19-year-old Anthony Ciccarelli dined with his girlfriend at Texas De Brazil Thursday evening. He reached into the front pocket of his pants when the bill arrived, and his gun discharged. The gunshot hit his girlfriend in the upper leg.

Ha! Well, at least he paid for a steak dinner.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/canada-bans-military-grade-assault-weapons/2020/05/01/1a5b524c-8bc4-11ea-80df-d24b35a568ae_story.html

Canada announces immediate ban on ‘military-grade’ assault weapons

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the ban includes more than 1,500 makes and models of firearms. There will be a two-year amnesty period for current owners to comply with the prohibition, he said, and legislation will be drafted in the coming months to provide “fair compensation” to them.

• Like 3

I saw this sign on the door of a commercial building a few years ago...first time I've ever seen one, so I took a photo to show my brother and sister.

It was a dentist's office.

noguns.jpg

All I could think was how ****ed up do things have to be that you actually have to tell people not to bring their guns when getting their teeth cleaned.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I saw this sign on the door of a commercial building a few years ago...first time I've ever seen one, so I took a photo to show my brother and sister.

It was a dentist's office.

[Signage pic]

All I could think was how ****ed up do things have to be that you actually have to tell people not to bring their guns when getting their teeth cleaned.

Reminds me of this sign I saw at the entrance of a park in China:

5IkQinZ.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

It’s just the law here. 

if you don’t want people to be able to cary guns in your building you have to put up the sign. If you dint then people can carry. You can then specifically ask people on a case by case business to leave if you’d like. 

but if you care you just put up a sign 

it’s not ****ed up at all. It’s perfectly good compromise. 

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

It’s just the law here. 

if you don’t want people to be able to cary guns in your building you have to put up the sign. If you dint then people can carry. You can then specifically ask people on a case by case business to leave if you’d like. 

but if you care you just put up a sign 

it’s not ****ed up at all. It’s perfectly good compromise. 

You missed my point.

Why would anyone feel the need to bring a gun into a dentist's office? The fact that anyone would need to tell you NOT to is kinda like putting a warning label on a microwave telling people not to dry their cat in it lol...things would have to be seriously ****ed up for that label to even be needed. If you can't drive from your home to the dentist without feeling you need a gun, something somewhere is wrong.

7 minutes ago, China said:

Reminds me of this sign I saw at the entrance of a park in China:

Ok, that one in the last row in the middle...wtf is that supposed to mean? lol

Edited by Califan007