Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I feel like it’s simply fear mongering.

it is. But it’s also based on truth. which is the most effective kind of fear mongering. 

Apparently they’ve dropped the AR language. But it was in there. 

in addition to the sanctuary city hypocrisy, they actually used “enforce the laws” as a tag line at one point

the rot of the gop goes beyond the state level at this point. Old arguments suggesting local stuff was different no longer apply. 

On 12/10/2019 at 9:00 AM, tshile said:

VA has a weird thing going on post-election where dems won the state legislature... counties are declaring themselves “2nd amendment sanctuaries” 

these are the same people that got upset about the idea of “sanctuary cities” years ago with the immigration stuff

(and you can guess who’s going to be upset about the 2nd amendment sanctuaries)

From what I read, state law supersedes local law, so it's nothing more than a political stunt to put pressure on the newly elected officials in regards to gun control/safety. 

Sanctuary cities, they were dealing with federal law vs. local enforcement and they don't legally have to hand over illegal immigrants to immigration officers while policing, or detaining them until ICE gets there.  Two completely different things.  

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

From what I read, state law supersedes local law, so it's nothing more than a political stunt to put pressure on the newly elected officials in regards to gun control/safety. 

Sanctuary cities, they were dealing with federal law vs. local enforcement and they don't legally have to hand over illegal immigrants to immigration officers while policing, or detaining them until ICE gets there.  Two completely different things.  

and Federal law supersedes State law ...good luck w/o cooperation though.

Can't we all just get along? :754:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I feel like it’s simply fear mongering.

Although, it does appear that delegates have written bills to prohibit the ownership of assault rifles and large capacity magazines in addition to universal background checks.  Not sure how likely they are to pass.  It would be ironic if a mass murder occurred in one of these 2A sanctuary cities (whatever the **** that means).

Sounds like they are looking to grandfather in those that already own assault rifles prior to the new ban and make them register it, which I think is a good thing.  

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2019/12/09/northam-backed-assault-weapon-bill-will-include-grandfather-clause-for-existing-guns/

Guess the 2A sanctuary cities political statement made some sort of impact on getting grandfathering in for assault rifles.

6 minutes ago, twa said:

and Federal law supersedes State law ...good luck w/o cooperation though.

Can't we all just get along? :754:

Right, but they cannot force the local authorities to detain and handover illegal immigrants to ICE during local policing, in regards to the sanctuary cities refusing to work with ICE.  Just pointing out one bunch (federal gov.) can't force cooperation on their illegal immigration issue and the other group (state) absolutely has power over local law enforcement in the case of gun safety laws (local law enforcement cannot turn a blind eye to state gun laws).

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

37 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Two completely different things.  

Maybe from an enforceability standpoint

from a political standpoint it’s the same thing. Locals deciding to object to laws they don’t like by saying “make me”

Florida dad with accidental shooting conviction is charged in accidental shooting of daughter, 9: police

A Florida dad who was convicted of accidentally firing a gun that killed a teenage girl is now charged in a second accidental shooting that critically wounded his 9-year-old daughter, police said.

Dustin Adkins, 34, is a convicted felon who is currently on probation for accidentally discharging a gun that went through a wall and killed a 13-year-old girl in December 2011, according to police.

Adkins was arrested Saturday and held without bail at the Brevard County Jail Complex, Florida Today reported. He is facing child neglect and felony weapons charges in connection with a shooting over the weekend that left his daughter in critical but stable condition, police said.

Click on the link for the full article

So he's already been convicted of an accidental death stemming from mishandling a firearm.  So he still has guns and has apparently not been required to undergo any special training or subject to any restrictions and he ends up shooting his own daughter?  Yes, our gun control laws are working marvelously, we should make sure more people have unfettered access to firearms.  Thanks NRA!

Edited by China
  • Sad 1

Fund gun violence research?  So this is a research grant to the NRA on how to generate more gun violence?  That's about what I would expect at this point because nobody seems  interested enough in curbing gun violence to do something meaningful.

12 hours ago, China said:

Fund gun violence research?  So this is a research grant to the NRA on how to generate more gun violence?  That's about what I would expect at this point because nobody seems  interested enough in curbing gun violence to do something meaningful.

Did you read the article?  It's $25 million total in funding given to the CDC and National Institutes for Health ($12.5 million to each) to study gun violence.  NRA isn't involved at all.  Big win for the Democrats as it's been over 20 years since funding was provided (1996).  

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Did you read the article?  It's $25 million total in funding given to the CDC and National Institutes for Health ($12.5 million to each) to study gun violence.  NRA isn't involved at all.  Big win for the Democrats as it's been over 20 years since funding was provided (1996).  

Just money down the drain in my opinion.  Studying it does what exactly?  Certainly doesn't prevent it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

It’s a step in the right direction. You get experts to analyze the causes and propose solutions.

:rofl89:

Solutions which will be promptly ignored by the politicians paid by the NRA, and hence money down the drain.

Edit:  If you can't tell, I'm bitter, disillusioned and cynical about gun control at this point.

Edited by China
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

🤨 What would you rather happen? Nothing? This is the best first step to addressing the problem.

As I said, my belief is the net result will be nothing anyway, we'll just be out $25 million.  Unlike you, I don't believe the problem will ever be addressed, first step or no.  I think the gun lobby and those clinging to their guns will never let meaningful change happen.

7 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

The reaction is similar to Obama’s EOs

some people just want gun control. They’re not interested in the rest of it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks NRA!

Kevin Heimsoth tweets thanks to NRA after killing wife, Lynn and dog Sukha

A husband tweeted his thanks for the US National Rifle Association after he said he “killed my whole family”.

Kevin Heimsoth, 56, is reported to have killed his primary school principal wife, Lynn, their Golden Retriever, Sukha, and their pet cat in Bellingham, Washington state.

The Bellingham Herald reports that Heimsoth tweeted to the NRA, Donald Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell saying his access to a gun made the murder that much easier.

Can we at least mandate some training so these morons don't kill us accidentally?

Man fired fatal shot while putting trigger lock on gun

MOLINE ACRES, Mo (AP).– A man has been charged with shooting another man in suburban St. Louis while putting a trigger lock on a gun.

Police in Moline Acres said 33-year-old Hutson Grace Jr. was charged Sunday with first-degree involuntary manslaughter in the death of 36-year-old Michael Dillingham.

Police say Grace drank beer and smoked pot while assembling the gun Saturday afternoon and then pointed it at Dillingham several times after being told to stop.

Officers said that while Grace was putting the trigger lock on the gun, he fired it, shooting Dillingham in the victim’s home.

4 vehicles hit by gunfire on I-4 near Orange-Osceola county line, one victim is a Disney cast member

Second recent incident of someone shooting at moving cars on I-4

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. – Less than a week after 19 vehicles were shot at along I-4 in Central Florida, authorities in Orange and Osceola counties said they responded Monday to more reports of gunfire on I-4.

Officials with the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said deputies responded around 6:30 a.m. to several calls during which drivers reported that their vehicles were struck by gunfire on westbound I-4 near the Osceola-Orange county line.

Investigators said two of the shootings happened at 4:45 a.m. on Monday.

One of the victims is a Disney employee, according to investigators.

Deputies said they spoke with four victims --each whose vehicle was shot within close proximity to the other victims. Two vehicles were hit in Osceola County and two were hit in Orange County, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

One woman told investigators her car was hit by in the area of Osceola Parkway and Victory Way.

Another victim told deputies his car was hit in the area of Exit 65 on the westbound side of Interstate 4.

A Disney employee told investigators the car was hit in the area of Exit 68 on Interstate 4.

No one was injured. Osceola County deputies said the suspect vehicle is a dark-colored sedan and they are “pouring all available resources” into finding the suspect and increasing patrols.

Osceola deputies said the incident Monday is not connected to the string of highway shootings on New Year’s Day. During that incident, a total of 19 vehicles were damaged by gunfire the evening of Jan. 1 while traveling on I-4 and I-95 from Seminole County to St. Augustine, according to officials from several law enforcement agencies.

Kids, aged 12 and 13, shot by driver after throwing snowballs at passing cars

(CNN)Two children, ages 12 and 13, were shot after throwing snowballs at passing cars in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, police said.

The pair was hurling snowballs at passing cars with a group of children on Saturday evening, Milwaukee police said in a series of tweets.

One of the snowballs struck a white Toyota, and the driver of the car shot at the children, police said.

Police found the 12-year-old girl and the 13-year-old boy minutes apart. Both of their injuries were non-life-threatening.

Burglar shot by resident in Hummelstown, resident faces charges

DAUPHIN COUNTY — A Harrisburg man is facing charges after shooting a man that broke into his apartment.

Swatara Township Police say the burglar was shot after breaking into a Hummesltown apartment early Wednesday morning.

A warrant has been issued for Xavier King, the man that fired the shots. He is charged with possession of firearm prohibited and firearms not to be carried without a license.

Officers responded to reports of an active disturbance in building 9 at the Waterford & Summit View Apartments located at 8301 Presidents Drive around 1:33 a.m. this morning.

Once on the scene, police learned that 35-year-old Keith Wilson had broken into the apartment and assaulted a resident.

Police say Wilson was then shot by a resident of the apartment, but is expected to survive his injuries.

Stray bullet narrowly misses Garvin County couple`s bed after neighbor shoots AR-15 rounds due to ‘meth-induced paranoia’

A man is accused of shooting up his RV in a fit of delusion, with some of the bullets going through neighboring RVs as the victims slept inside.

"It’s very concerning to us that somebody could have been hurt," said Sheriff Jim Mullett.

Thankful that no one was injured after he said Steven Ray White allegedly shot nearly 20 rounds through the walls of his RV last week.

Authorities were called to reports of shots fired at an RV park outside of Maysville.

A Maysville police officer was the first to arrive, and according to court documents, he "observed what appeared to be a bullet hit the ground" near his vehicle, so he backed out and waited for backup.

When deputies got there, they could hear Steven White screaming inside his RV, "threatening to kill someone and 'fill them full of lead' if they moved."

Documents sate White hurried the deputies inside and "stated that he had a male in his bedroom right at that moment and was holding the other male at gunpoint."

But when they got inside, they discovered he was alone.

"Even when we went into the house, he stated that there was other people there," Sheriff Mullett said. "He was actually pointing at other people, and there was nobody in the house."

"Meth and firearms," Sheriff Mullett said, "they just don’t mix."