Dont Taze Me Bro

The Gun Control Debate Thread - Say hello to my little thread

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a stolen government issued gun in a school is a guy with a replacement for the stolen government issued gun.

 

Obviously, the only defense against armed school employees who can't safely store their guns is armed students.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Larry said:

 

Obviously, the only defense against armed school employees who can't safely store their guns is armed students.  

 

70D8BC31-E5E3-4D1E-9CF4-84C145B56FA1.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 7, 2019 at 4:42 PM, Jumbo said:

 

just how a form of 'gun control' was heavily opposed by most of the same old, saying most of the same old, but still went through, and people still got  to own the guns afterwards and so far no use of one to kill a bunch of people....main reason being only so many humans were willing/allowed to do what you need to do to qualify for owning one....does anyone here not think that if fully auto machine guns had been as available this last five years as---wait for it---"assault rifles" have that we'd have been reading about greater numbers killed?

 

 

I dont involve myself in political or policy debates, so don't take this as a position on gun control one way or the other.

 

But, I was able to go to a gun range and shoot an automatic weapon for the first time in my life this past year.  I shot an Uzi with a few 20 shot clips on auto and semi-auto.  The only situation I have ever thought about wanting a gun for self protection is imagining what I would do if a zombie apocalypse broke out, so I don't think much about this stuff.  However, I did walk away from the experience thinking that there is no way I would want an automatic weapon over a semi-auto if I had to protect myself.  Those clips are gone in less than 3 seconds on auto, and you can't hit crap after the 1st shot... At least with the Uzi.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nerm said:

 

I dont involve myself in political or policy debates, so don't take this as a position on gun control one way or the other.

 

But, I was able to go to a gun range and shoot an automatic weapon for the first time in my life this past year.  I shot an Uzi with a few 20 shot clips on auto and semi-auto.  The only situation I have ever thought about wanting a gun for self protection is imagining what I would do if a zombie apocalypse broke out, so I don't think much about this stuff.  However, I did walk away from the experience thinking that there is no way I would want an automatic weapon over a semi-auto if I had to protect myself.  Those clips are gone in less than 3 seconds on auto, and you can't hit crap after the 1st shot... At least with the Uzi.

It's true across the board with full autos, most are too light to keep on target which is why they are used for suppressing fire, ie keeping the enemy's head down while your team can reposition. Even then the training is three round bursts. Rambo was pure mythology, but the M-60 is fun as hell with a nice long belt of ammo.

For home defense, inside the house a handgun is the preferred. A rifle inside is often too cumbersome and lacks agility, they also have too much wall penetration which means you're likely to kill whatever is on the other side. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

 Rambo was pure mythology, but the M-60 is fun as hell with a nice long belt of ammo.

For home defense, inside the house a handgun is the preferred. A rifle inside is often too cumbersome and lacks agility, they also have too much wall penetration which means you're likely to kill whatever is on the other side. 

 

I think I would love shooting a gun like the M-60 with a long belt of ammo.  The Uzi got old quick, 3 seconds of shooting followed by 3 minutes of loading.

 

As for home protection, I am more of an aluminum bat guy, though I don't know how that would go in a narrow hallway.  May need to get one of those tiny wooden replica bats about 10 inches long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Nerm said:

As for home protection, I am more of an aluminum bat guy, though I don't know how that would go in a narrow hallway.  May need to get one of those tiny wooden replica bats about 10 inches long.

 

"Sawed off baseball bat".  

 

I still feel (uninformed opinion) that for home defense, you want a shotgun.  Probably won't penetrate walls.  Better chances of a hit.  And I would imagine that just the sound of chambering a round would be enough to cause the intruder to leave.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Nerm said:

 

I dont involve myself in political or policy debates, so don't take this as a position on gun control one way or the other.

 

But, I was able to go to a gun range and shoot an automatic weapon for the first time in my life this past year.  I shot an Uzi with a few 20 shot clips on auto and semi-auto.  The only situation I have ever thought about wanting a gun for self protection is imagining what I would do if a zombie apocalypse broke out, so I don't think much about this stuff.  However, I did walk away from the experience thinking that there is no way I would want an automatic weapon over a semi-auto if I had to protect myself.  Those clips are gone in less than 3 seconds on auto, and you can't hit crap after the 1st shot... At least with the Uzi.

 

Well, considering that you can't buy automatic weapons (or have to be rich and go through hell to get one) anymore, that isn't a problem as far as accuracy.  It's literally not an option.  

 

44 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

It's true across the board with full autos, most are too light to keep on target which is why they are used for suppressing fire, ie keeping the enemy's head down while your team can reposition. Even then the training is three round bursts. Rambo was pure mythology, but the M-60 is fun as hell with a nice long belt of ammo.

For home defense, inside the house a handgun is the preferred. A rifle inside is often too cumbersome and lacks agility, they also have too much wall penetration which means you're likely to kill whatever is on the other side. 

 

Don't you want handguns banned too?  Not trying to start anything, just asking, if I'm wrong, apologies in advance :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Larry said:

 

"Sawed off baseball bat".  

 

I still feel (uninformed opinion) that for home defense, you want a shotgun.  Probably won't penetrate walls.  Better chances of a hit.  And I would imagine that just the sound of chambering a round would be enough to cause the intruder to leave.  

 

Shotgun is a better option for home defense due to the fact that it sprays and is better in close range than a rifle.  You can aim and shoot and let the buck shot do the rest, especially in close quarters.  Wall penetration depends on the type of ammo you are using (buck shot, bird shot, etc.) along with the distance you are from the wall and the load of the ammo (heavier loads = more penetration).   

 

And you at times do not need to even insert a shell, just the sound of the pumping action can be enough to deter people away.  I can actually say that worked for me one time a few years ago.  It was about 1:30 am and someone knocked on my door and I immediately told my wife to secure our daughter.  I grabbed my 12 gauge and walked up to the door, pumped it and they wanted no part of that.  Never even had to get any shells.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Larry said:

 

"Sawed off baseball bat".  

 

I still feel (uninformed opinion) that for home defense, you want a shotgun.  Probably won't penetrate walls.  Better chances of a hit.  And I would imagine that just the sound of chambering a round would be enough to cause the intruder to leave.  

 

I like to shoot, but I never really wanted a gun in the house.  I do have some BB guns that look awesome, but I don't like the idea of having guns that could kill someone.  When I was a teenager, I had a friend that was playing with a pistol that he thought was unloaded.  It wasn't, and it went off accidentally.  Neither of us was hit, but we both sat there for a minute in shock after it went off trying to figure out if one of us had been shot.  It left an impression on me.  Also, my wife tells me a story about her sneaking back into her house after she snuck out on a date with me in high school.  After quietly closing the door behind her while sneaking back into her house, she turned to find her father, looking nervous, pointing a shotgun at her ready to shoot.  I would rather regret not having a gun, as opposed to regretting making a mistake with one.  Personally.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

 

And you at times do not need to even insert a shell, just the sound of the pumping action can be enough to deter people away.  I can actually say that worked for me one time a few years ago.  It was about 1:30 am and someone knocked on my door and I immediately told my wife to secure our daughter.  I grabbed my 12 gauge and walked up to the door, pumped it and they wanted no part of that.  Never even had to get any shells.  

 

 

 

I bet there is an app for that sound.  I should look into it.  LOL

 

Honestly, I live in South Dakota.  Home invasion/home burglary is very rare here.  People just assume that a homeowner is going to be armed, unless you know the person isn't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

 

Don't you want handguns banned too?  Not trying to start anything, just asking, if I'm wrong, apologies in advance :cheers:

LoL!

For the record I'll just ask you to quote anywhere I said banning handguns or even AR's. I am however very much in favor of strict licensure, registration, and sale denial based on various criminal/abuse/illness criteria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nerm said:

 

I think I would love shooting a gun like the M-60 with a long belt of ammo.  The Uzi got old quick, 3 seconds of shooting followed by 3 minutes of loading.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this dog was incorrectly named:

 

Man shoots neighbor's dog with AK-47 in Rio Rancho

 

RIO RANCHO, N.M. — According to police, a local man who shot a family's dog with an AK-47 will not be facing charges. 

 

"He's not vicious or aggressive," said owner Malachi Garcia. "He's a friendly dog."

 

In July, the dog owners were getting ready to take Lucky for a walk when they heard two gunshots. 

 

Owner Fenixx Martin said they found Lucky in the backyard with severe, gruesome injuries. Lucky had to be euthanized. 

 

"I yelled for my husband and I told my son to grab some towels, loaded him up in the truck, and they took off to the emergency vet," Martin explained. "I stayed back and called Rio Rancho PD, and they showed up and I told them which house shot my dog, so they went over there, and they came back to me about 10 to 15 minutes later – he said that it was a justified shooting because Lucky jumped into their backyard."

 

Police reports confirm that the neighbor told police Lucky jumped into his yard and began fighting his Pitbull.

 

The neighbor told police he was "extremely scared for his dog's safety," so he went upstairs and grabbed his AK-47 to fire "one round into the ground to try to scare the dogs apart." 

 

The neighbor also told police he was "scared what would happen next, so he shot the neighbor's dog." 

 

Lucky's family said that's ridiculous. 

 

"The neighbor did put out that he was a vicious dog and if that was the case, we wouldn't have adopted him, and we fostered him through a rescue," said Martin. 

 

A woman who said she rescued Lucky told KOB 4 the dog went through temperament tests and found he was not aggressive and highly adoptable. 

 

"I question if it's true or not," said Holly Lovie, another neighbor. Her daughter was smoking outside and said she saw the dog in Martin's backyard. 

 

Click on the link for the full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, purbeast said:

<Video game meme>

 

. . . or let it attend Trump rallies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Query:  What do responsible gun owners hate even more than liberal lawmakers attempting to pass legislation to outlaw/restrict the right to own firearms?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

43 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

Query:  What do responsible gun owners hate even more than liberal lawmakers attempting to pass legislation to outlaw/restrict the right to own firearms?

 

The twins from The Shining

 

Image result for shining twins animated gif

 

 

 

 

 

I hate the fact that the right won't work with the left at all (current) and that the left dropped the ball on passing an minimum common sense gun laws when they controlled Congress right after Obama took office (past).  

 

 

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just to add info:

thats not a new or novel idea

 

and the “gun insurance” market has direct ties to putting money in the NRA’s pocket so if you’re one who believes the NRA is the main problem on gun control (which I believe) requiring all gun owners to send money to the NRA might be counter productive (I just saw there’s a new thread on ES dedicated to this... go read it, they were getting money from the insurance market somehow and are now being investigated for it...)

 

and it doesn’t do anything other than add a price tag. Are we supposed to find some sort of solace in “at least he had insurance” when someone shoots up a school?

 

or is the idea that the insurance system would regulate who can have a gun and who can’t? Who’s going to oversee that? And what power are they going to have in going after people without insurance? 

 

I think the focus should be on purchasing and possession of firearms.  This idea has always seemed stupid to me. I don’t see how it accomplishes the supposed stated goals of the control people. It’s a sin tax that I don’t see being enforceable in a meaningful way. 

Edited by tshile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

 

 

The twins from The Shining

 

Image result for shining twins animated gif

 

 

 

 

 

I hate the fact that the right won't work with the left at all (current) and that the left dropped the ball on passing an minimum common sense gun laws when they controlled Congress right after Obama took office (past).  

 

 

Seriously what the answer? There might be two different equally correct responses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

Seriously what the answer? There might be two different equally correct responses.

 

I answered your question.   All the above?  or all three I listed plus clowns?  Cause **** clowns.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kfrankie said:

Query:  What do responsible gun owners hate even more than liberal lawmakers attempting to pass legislation to outlaw/restrict the right to own firearms?

 

The blacks?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.