Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

30 minutes ago, tshile said:

The page and a half before you included multiple posts from multiple pro gun people offering solution they think would work, or would be passable, or both. 

Here you come, with your facts and your evidence.

THIS is why you need to team up with my boy Peety B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, visionary said:

Based on the fact that polling data suggests that our decades-long obstruction of any gun control whatsoever might finally cost us power, I have decided to permit the Senate to talk about a proposal that 80% of NRA members support. 

For a few days. 

6 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Do pro gun advocates here believe there is just cause for the guy that beat up the kid in Montana to be banned from ever owning a fire arm for the rest of his life? 

Has he been convicted a felony?

1 hour ago, twa said:

Last thing I read was he has a history of violent behavior and is mentally unstable because of a brain injury suffered in the military. He is being charged with a felony. His lawyer is essentially getting an insanity plea ready, so if he gets off due to that being granted, should he be allowed to own a gun? 

1 hour ago, twa said:

This is why we are where we are. The sheer number of these mass murderers were never convicted felons.

Our legal mindset when it cones to the 2nd Amd should be reversed.

The 2nd Amd is tied directly to national defense militias which are obsolete. The idea you need an AR to defend your home against intruders or government is trash.

We literally do not even have the right to drive a car, something that in most of this country is a necessity, because we understand the dangers and liability involved in the act. And yet gun ownership is wide open.

It's time to flip the script, I'm willing to take training and licensure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

This is why we are where we are. The sheer number of these mass murderers were never convicted felons.

How many were never charged because of policies protecting minors?

A shooter is on the run after killing 2 people on a Houston freeway

A gunman is on the run after killing two men on a Houston freeway as horrified motorists watched during the Thursday evening rush hour, authorities said.

Police initially got a call of an accident at 5:55 p.m., but when they arrived seven minutes later, they found a shooting scene.

The fatal incident started as a crash involving two cars headed eastbound on Interstate 10, Houston Police Assistant Chief Bobby Dobbins said Thursday evening at a news conference.

"One of the vehicles struck the other vehicle and spun it out ... similar to a pit maneuver," he said, according to video of the news conference tweeted by Houston Police. A pit maneuver is a police tactic used to spin out a car from behind during a chase.

Two occupants of the vehicle that rammed the other car got out, Dobbins said. One had a weapon.

The gunman, described by a witness as a Hispanic male, fired multiple shots at the car that had been rammed, pursuing it as it rolled down a hill, he said.

Click on the link for the full article

i started to put this in the mass shooting thread, but it's probably better here

the article below is by a well-informed layman writing for non-clinical readers, not so much " this is exactly how i see it"

it's just offered as  fwiw re: continuing thinking on this complex situation, though i very much support the tone, and his facts/sources/data are sufficient for the piece's scope

people these dasys talk about mental health as though clinically diagnosable conditions are inherently attached to such violence, from single gun killings to multiple victim gun killings, but it's not.....often it is a relevant data point to an occurence, often it is not

hate is a normal human experience...killing, whether you like the truth or not, is a quite common human ability/activity occurring for all kinds of motives, including under certain circumstances killing multiple people, all possible without the requirement of an actual diagnosable  mental health illness being in play...i.e. being resentful and aggrieved and being a social outcast are all states of mind and living choices that don't automatically mean one is clinically diagnosable and medically ill

there are all sorts of ugly things we do to ourselves and others that "arise" out of our history of developmental environment shaping our personal identity and influencing our choices and isn't born from some clinically diagnosable mental illness...e.g. not all criminals who rob, assault, or kill are mentally ill, though in popular social dialogue people are free with how they play with the concepts---like "if you can kill someone just out of jealousy than you're mentally sick or crazy"...wrong.....see criminal trials...you can also play with the "violence is a spiritual sickness" deal too, but that's another story

also look for all the professional blowback for "the mentally ill" to be consistently intertwined now with this violence, and the constant gop and gop media use of the words "sick" and "crazy" now routinely attached to this very large population of clinically diagnosed people in an unfair pejorative manner

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/08/07/no-mr-president-hate-is-not-mental-illness/

No, Mr. President. Hate is not a mental illness.

Pete Earley is the parent designate on the Interdepartmental Serious Mental Illness Coordinating Committee, created by Congress. He is the author of “Crazy: A Father’s Search Through America’s Mental Health Madness.”

“Mental illness and hatred pull the trigger, not the gun,” President Trump announced when he condemned shootings in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio, which together left at least 31 people dead and dozens wounded.

Mr. President, what you said about hatred rings true. But you are wrong in blaming mental illness. As the father of an adult son with a mental illness and one of 14 non government experts appointed by your administration to a panel that advises Congress about serious mental illnesses, I’d like to recount some well-established facts.

It’s easy for the public to assume that anyone who commits mass murder is mentally ill. How could he or she not be? And several shooters in recent high-profile mass killings have had a serious mental disorder. But your implication that the 46 million American adults estimated to have a diagnosable mental illness and the 11.2 million thought to have a serious mental illness, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, are dangerous and potentially mass murderers is as wrongheaded as declaring that the 250 million Americans who are white are capable of committing mass homicide.

After all, being white is one of the most common traits of a mass shooter. Data from Mother Jones shows that between 1982 and 2017, 54 percent of mass shooters were white men. Research also shows that many of them struggle with a sense of entitlement attached to their white, heterosexual identity as well as economic anxiety in the post-industrial economy.

Other research, meanwhile, highlights that a very small portion of all gun-related homicides in the United States involve mass killings by people with serious mental illness. In fact, only 3 percent of violent crime can be attributed to people with serious mental illness.

As Amy Barnhorst noted in Psychology Today: “Most of the time, mass shooters aren’t driven by delusions or voices in their head. They are driven by a need to wield their power over another group. They are angry at the perceived injustices that have befallen them at the hands of others — women who wouldn’t sleep with them, fellow students who didn’t appreciate their talents, minorities enjoying rights that were once only the privilege of white men like them. It’s not an altered perception of reality that drives them; it’s entitlement, insecurity, and hatred. Maybe some of them also have depression, ADHD or anxiety, but that is not why they opened fire on a group of strangers.” This dovetails with profiles of such shooters as Dylann Roof, the then-21-year-old white supremacist who killed nine African Americans in a Charleston, S.C., church.

Mr. President, hate is not a mental illness. Nor is white nationalism, as acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney suggested. It is taught. It is promulgated. The FBI describes a hate crime as a “criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender, or gender identity.”

As forensic psychiatrists James L. Knoll and George D. Annas warn, "Gun restriction laws focusing on people with mental illness perpetuate the myth that mental illness leads to violence, as well as the misperception that gun violence and mental illness are strongly linked.” Hate is fueled by such myths.

They further noted that “laws intended to reduce gun violence that focus on a population representing less than 3 percent of all gun violence will be extremely low yield, ineffective, and wasteful of scarce resources. Perpetrators of mass shootings are unlikely to have a history of involuntary psychiatric hospitalization. Thus, databases intended to restrict access to guns and established by gun laws that broadly target people with mental illness will not capture this group of people.”

Mr. President, I am not a psychiatrist, nor am I an academic or a sociologist. I am a father, just as you are. I have witnessed how bias has and continues to make my son’s life difficult. I have seen how it encourages fear and prejudice against him and others who have an illness that they did not choose.

Conflating mental illnesses with mass shootings hurts people. It stigmatizes, marginalizes and creates bias. So please, Mr. President, just stop.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:14 AM, twa said:

:ols: I'll get right on that bwana.

See, par for the course with you and the rest of the ilk on the Right. You lob out a "reason" as if you have substance backing up the claim when in reality it's nothing more than another bull**** ploy to muddy the waters. 

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Obviously the firefighter who pulled a gun on this patriot was the real bad guy with a gun. /s

These open carry nutbags are the epitome of white privilege. Put a black guy in his place and if he makes it out alive it would be a ****ing miracle that might convince me of divine intervention!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Put a black guy in his place and if he makes it out alive it would be a ****ing miracle that might convince me of divine intervention!

Do you have any numbers on that scenario?

You should do the homework on that and report back to the class.