Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

19 minutes ago, twa said:

so are you a outlaw or did they just ban the sale of them?

:806:

Both sale and ownership are illegal.  *Except if you owned the magazine before the law went into effect.  And the burden of proof is on the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.  Gun range I'm a member at has tons of cops, nobody has ever even asked me about them, much less given me a hard time.  Lots of folks with extended mags at my range. 

LEOs don't care.  CBI doesn't care.  Since high-cap mags were banned 6 years ago in 2013, exactly 0 people have been prosecuted LOL. 

Edited by Chew
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Chew said:

LEOs don't care.  CBI doesn't care.  Since high-cap mags were banned 6 years ago in 2013, exactly 0 people have been prosecuted LOL. 

Do you use drum mags a lot?  I could almost understand a 30-round limit since the vast majority of AR's and what not most people have 30 round mags for.  I don't think I've ever even seen in person someone with drum mags.

10 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Do you use drum mags a lot?  I could almost understand a 30-round limit since the vast majority of AR's and what not most people have 30 round mags for.  I don't think I've ever even seen in person someone with drum mags.

Define "use drum mags a lot"  LOL.  I only shoot my ARs at the range, and only go through a drum mag once with each rifle, then the regular 30 rounders. 

I'd say I've seen maybe 4 or 5 other people with drum magazines in person in the last year.  Drums are pretty heavy and not very practical, but tons of fun for ammo dumps at the "anything goes" outdoor ranges. 

32 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I've never seen any drum mags at my range.  

40 minutes ago, Chew said:

:806:

Both sale and ownership are illegal.  *Except if you owned the magazine before the law went into effect.  And the burden of proof is on the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.  Gun range I'm a member at has tons of cops, nobody has ever even asked me about them, much less given me a hard time.  Lots of folks with extended mags at my range. 

As long as I'm grandfathered in, they can limit it to whatever they want.  There are so many magazines out there, it's ridiculous.  Anytime I go to my range/shop they always seem to have like 2-4 huge boxes opened up with a **** ton of 30 and 40 round clips on sale.  I assume it's like that at just about every gun shop.  Gonna be hard to stop people stocking up on them.  

• Like 1

Just read about the proposal on CNN.  From their article on it, "In the proposal, violating the law, which does not apply to police officers or campus law enforcement officers, would carry a fine or imprisonment"

No grandfathering mentioned at all.  IMO, if the they (Democrats) want to even have a chance of getting this passed, they should start small with the limitation to 10 rounds with grandfathering in place and look to amend or update in the future to removing that language when they/if they control both the house and senate.  Cause we already know that it's going to be an uphill battle to get any ban in place.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chew said:

Define "use drum mags a lot"  LOL.  I only shoot my ARs at the range, and only go through a drum mag once with each rifle, then the regular 30 rounders. 

I'd say I've seen maybe 4 or 5 other people with drum magazines in person in the last year.  Drums are pretty heavy and not very practical, but tons of fun for ammo dumps at the "anything goes" outdoor ranges. 

I guess at all really.  I would think that the only reason to use a drum mag is because your want to shoot a lot at a high rate without reloading.  But I would think firing off a hundred (or however many the drum holds) would cause the barrel to heat up enough that it could damage it.

47 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Just read about the proposal on CNN.  From their article on it, "In the proposal, violating the law, which does not apply to police officers or campus law enforcement officers, would carry a fine or imprisonment"

No grandfathering mentioned at all.  IMO, if the they (Democrats) want to even have a chance of getting this passed, they should start small with the limitation to 10 rounds with grandfathering in place and look to amend or update in the future to removing that language when they/if they control both the house and senate.  Cause we already know that it's going to be an uphill battle to get any ban in place.  

I can't imagine it getting implamented without a grandfather clause.  And applying only to long guns.  The majority of pistols would be illegal with a 10 round limit.

• Like 2

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/a-year-after-parkland-support-sinks-for-stricter-laws-on-gun-sales-poll-says

In the week after a former student opened fire at his high school in Parkland, Florida, killing 17 people and wounding 17 more, 71 percent of Americans said they wanted stricter gun sale laws. A year later, that enthusiasm has faded to 51 percent, a thin majority, according to the latest poll from the PBS NewsHour, NPR and Marist.

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Anyone taking bets on if this actually becomes law?

I haven’t read the language yet (has anyone?)

the media tends to use ambiguous words with this topic, where law requires specifics.

based on what I heard on npr this morning it’s more about requiring existing background checks for all sales/transfers. 

I think that has a good shot at passing. I would support that. 

Based on what I’ve seen over the years they run into a wall when they start trying to add restrictions on who can/can’t buy or accept a gun. 

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Anyone taking bets on if this actually becomes law?

Which one? The universal background checks?  I think that one has a chance to pass.  The other I don't think it will make it past the senate.  And if it does, I'm sure it will lead to a lawsuit against the government just like the bump stock for not compensating owners for the high capacity magazines they turn in.  

3 hours ago, tshile said:

I haven’t read the language yet (has anyone?)

the media tends to use ambiguous words with this topic, where law requires specifics.

based on what I heard on npr this morning it’s more about requiring existing background checks for all sales/transfers. 

I think that has a good shot at passing. I would support that. 

Based on what I’ve seen over the years they run into a wall when they start trying to add restrictions on who can/can’t buy or accept a gun. 

3 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Which one? The universal background checks?  I think that one has a chance to pass.  The other I don't think it will make it past the senate.  And if it does, I'm sure it will lead to a lawsuit against the government just like the bump stock for not compensating owners for the high capacity magazines they turn in.  

I was referring to universal background checks.  I support it but dont think the GOP/NRA will let it pass.

• Like 1

This was in Minneapolis

The bus driver was shot in the head, but from what i understand didn't die ( at least on the scene). There was a student on the bus, and given the bus itself, likely a special needs student.  And of course, all the other cars and people in traffic.

yay.

~Bang

Man jailed after found with 3D-printed gun and 'lawmaker hit list'

A Dallas man has been sentenced to eight years in prison after he was found with a partially 3D-printed rifle and a hit list of US lawmakers.

Eric McGinnis was prohibited from possessing firearms for two years after he attacked his girlfriend in 2015.

McGinnis attempted to buy a gun in 2016 but failed the background check - so he instead purchased gun parts and a 3D printer to assemble his own weapon.

He was arrested in 2017 after police heard him fire shots in the woods.

McGinnis, now 43, had little more than a month left on his two-year domestic abuse firearm ban when police arrested him with the partially printed AR-15 rifle near Dallas, Texas, the US Attorney's office said in a statement on Wednesday.

When police ordered him to surrender, McGinnis tried to say that he was a member of the CIA.

Officers inspected McGinnis' backpack and discovered a hit list titled "9/11/2001 list of American Terrorists" that included the names of both Democratic and Republican federal lawmakers.

Click on the link for the full article

11 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Care to elaborate?

Always.

https://www.businessinsider.com/gun-violence-costs-america-more-than-229-billion-every-year-2015-4

AP 

American taxpayers pay roughly $12.8 million every day to cover the costs of gun-related deaths and injuries— and that is a conservative estimate, according to a new report released by Mother Jones on the cost of gun violence in America. 

The true cost, however, is not fully known, partly because of the vast sum that's been spent by the NRA and other gun rights activists to shut down research related to firearms, and partly because of the sheer number of expenses incurred when someone is shot.

Edited by volsmet
  • Thanks 1

Six dead, 11 injured in today in a mass shooting in Aurora.

Two dead yesterday in a mass shooting in Florida.

Five dead Monday in a mass shooting in Texas.

4 injured Saturday in a mass shooting in Virginia.

39 mass shootings (multiple deaths or casualties) so far this year and we're only halfway through February.

No one gives a **** and no solutions are even being considered.

Edited by Corcaigh

Yup, this fight is over. Another win for FOXNews and co. Stir up some fears about Obama coming for your guns and production triples. Now we’re surrounded by good guys with guns (who are paranoid and stupid enough to believe that ****) and the country has never been better off...

except for all the people getting killed with guns...

and all this other ****.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff