Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bands with the biggest hits and misses

Spaceman Spiff

Clash are a good example. But anyone who didn't like Janie Jones or Garage Band in 1977 is a ****ing idiot.

The Cure too.

Less well known perhaps is Killing Joke. Their first album was very solid. After that it was very hit or miss.

Revelations had tracks like Empire Song and some steaming piles of ****. On vinyl you would take the trouble to move the needle.

career opportunities- not terrible.

police and thieves- ugh. punk?

white riot- 9 songs in and finally a punk sound (for the late 70's/early 80's). honestly, still not a massive fan.

cheat- best so far. there's some actual angst in there.

remote control- wow... not even close to "punk"

mixed bag there, bang. i give it a 3/14.

nowhere close to bad religion, dead kenedys, sex pistols, misfits, descendents, social d, iggy, etc.

never got the hype for the clash.

Well, yeah, but it's not really the same style of punk,,, there's lots of different things other than the straight thrash.

English punk was a LOT different from New York Punk which was a LOT different from LA punk, and all of them had their variations.

New York had Richard Hell and the Voidoids,  the Ramones, Television,  Talking Heads and Blondie all playing the same night to punk crowds.

X was a great LA punk band, but if the standard is the thrasher, they'r nothing next to the Germs or Black Flag, even though they played the same stages. In terms of creating nuanced hard edged music, Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedys,, they can't touch X.

England had the differences of Clash, UK-Subs, the Damned, the Stranglers, Siouxsie and the Banshees,..  the Sex Pistols typified English punk, but really were the weakest of all of them. All they knew was the smash and spit. Which worked for them, but really, overall, not much going on beyond. 

Clash got a lot of inspiration from Jamaican and Carribean immigrants, in poorer black areas of London,, a lot of Reggae influence in their music..

So, I'm glad you found a track you can dig. White Riot is a real pisser!

Try "I'm so Bored with the USA" off that same first album.. pretty good rocker there.

~Bang

I'll just say this. I'm probably the only one on this thread that liked 80s MTV music. With that being said, every artist, including the great ones, put out a few duds every now and then.

Me, too, man.  Me, too.  A lot of stuff people don't like I do, but to each his own I guess.

Well, yeah, but it's not really the same style of punk,,, there's lots of different things other than the straight thrash.

English punk was a LOT different from New York Punk which was a LOT different from LA punk, and all of them had their variations.

New York had Richard Hell and the Voidoids,  the Ramones, Television,  Talking Heads and Blondie all playing the same night to punk crowds.

~Bang

Television was certainly right there in the CBGB golden era but I wouldn't call them punk at all (not sure if you were). Marquee Moon is a brilliant album though, setting the way for modern guitar intertwining. By the time you get through the title track, the Ramones would be halfway through a set.

dchogs - the hype around The Clash is that they could do more than play 2 minute thrash songs. Their musical ability and what  genres they could successfully do is far beyond any other contemporary punk artists for the most part. Actually no, I'm pretty sure nobody else in the genre could've done London Calling.

X is probably my favorite American "punk" band and half the time, John Doe was playing country music.

Not that I really care about "caterogies" but Television always seemed to be in that same "art school rock" genre of The Talking Heads and - I guess - Patti Smith.

It might have been an interview and it might have been in the liner notes of a compilation, but I read an interview once with Paul Westerberg where he said his favorite band was "the radio." I've always tried to keep that  idea in mind when it came to music.

As far as I can tell, the only two bands who ever did everything the same on every album and had it work were AC/DC and The Ramones. And The Ramones only made money once they were all dead.

Television was certainly right there in the CBGB golden era but I wouldn't call them punk at all (not sure if you were). Marquee Moon is a brilliant album though, setting the way for modern guitar intertwining. By the time you get through the title track, the Ramones would be halfway through a set.

dchogs - the hype around The Clash is that they could do more than play 2 minute thrash songs. Their musical ability and what  genres they could successfully do is far beyond any other contemporary punk artists for the most part. Actually no, I'm pretty sure nobody else in the genre could've done London Calling.

Exactly my point,, they weren't "punk".. but they were part of the genre that was very faceted,, eventually being segmented into "new wave" and "progressive rock", etc. when it became apparent how many facets to the new brands of music being explored existed.

I put Television more in the vein of Velvet Underground, who i feel were proto-punk, even with all the non-punk sounds. For Television, in my ear, that definite New York style and the underground element of all of it lent itself to this new thing being called "punk" in the mid 70s.

Iggy and the Stooges,, i consider a lot of what they did as punk, even if it didn't exactly fit.. it certainly paved the way.

classifications are always so ponderous.

~Bang

Archived