Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bands with the biggest hits and misses

Spaceman Spiff

The Clash are pretty close. I've honestly never listened to Cut The Crap so I have no opinion as to whether it's good or bad (and it's not really even a Clash record since Mick Jones as fired). Sandinista! is bloated but bloated in a way I like. Everything else is amazing.

Wow. Different strokes I guess. I grew up on 80/90's punk and never liked the Clash much. Now, I change the station on the first chord. Brutally bad to me.

Wow. Different strokes I guess. I grew up on 80/90's punk and never liked the Clash much. Now, I change the station on the first chord. Brutally bad to me.

I'm with you. Punk was always my fav, the clash were Green Day of their time. pop music not punk

What radio stations are you listening to?

Or do you just not like "Should I Stay or Should I Go?"

Mainly pandora, which shouldn't happen due to the number of down votes. I liked/still enjoy bad religion, TSOL, dead kennedys, social d, etc. never liked the clash. Pop punk to me (exactly, zoony!).

Well, that is pretty easy to answer.   The Beatles.   They basically produced a dozen fantastic albums where you almost have to hunt to find something lousy.  Then they broke up.   In the world of "never having a sucky period" it's the Beatles first and then a huge gap to everyone else who ever lived.

I would put it at an average of about one "bad" song per album. I am a huge Beatles fan though.

And the White Album is one of my favorites. It's incoherent. But I love it. Except for Revolution 9. That's some Yoko Ono nonsense.

I think the Clash is a great choice for this thread. They had lots of great songs, and some aweful ones.

Train in vain, London calling, white riot were great

Rock the casbah, not so much

Lol...The only reason you don't like Rock the Casbah is because it was one of those early MTV songs. Why do people have such a problem with commercial hits?

I've been looking... Can't find a clash song I like. Freakin disco-pop-punk.

Try their entire first album. If that can be classified as "disco pop anything".  you need to maybe rethink your classifying criteria.

However, Clash as compared to Big Audio Dynamite is about as good an example of what this thread looks for than anything.

~Bang

B.A.D. Very appropriate. Just horrible. I grew up with hardcore punk in the early eighties and remember thinking the Clash wasn't punk too. Not enough 1-2-3-4 Rage! Plus they were on a big record label. Bah

I later learned what a good band I didn't pay attention to because of my preconceived notions

I thought The Clash was a good call, and I knew some would disagree. I did think about it a little today, and was trying to think of artists that may compare to The Beatles, as far as not really having a whole lot to nitpick about. The only two I could really think of were Jimi Hendrix and Bob Marley, though I'm sure plenty of people hate some, or even a lot, of what they did.

Try their entire first album. If that can be classified as "disco pop anything". you need to maybe rethink your classifying criteria.

However, Clash as compared to Big Audio Dynamite is about as good an example of what this thread looks for than anything.

~Bang

I flipped through songs on YouTube earlier and continued to be unimpressed. Happy to have you suggest songs that are more representative of the band.

BAD is/was terrible. We agree on that.

Try their entire first album. If that can be classified as "disco pop anything". you need to maybe rethink your classifying criteria.

~Bang

career opportunities- not terrible.

police and thieves- ugh. punk?

white riot- 9 songs in and finally a punk sound (for the late 70's/early 80's). honestly, still not a massive fan.

cheat- best so far. there's some actual angst in there.

remote control- wow... not even close to "punk"

mixed bag there, bang. i give it a 3/14.

nowhere close to bad religion, dead kenedys, sex pistols, misfits, descendents, social d, iggy, etc.

never got the hype for the clash.

I might be showing my ass here, but Dire Straits qualifies for me. a lot of their songs are forgettable and unenjoyable. And then their hits are incredible.

Hmmm. Their hits are the songs I hate on the Brothers in Arms CD (So Far Away, Walk of Life), but the LP tracks are what I love (Brothers in Arms, Blue World, Ride Across the River, Your Latest Trick). Same with Love Over Gold - hate Industrial Disease, but love Telegraph Road.

But I don't listen much to the first 2 LPs' tracks beyond Sultans, Down to the Waterline, Single Handed Sailor, and Ladywriter. Love the live version of Portobello Belle, but the studio version is dull as dirt.

career opportunities- not terrible.

police and thieves- ugh. punk?

white riot- 9 songs in and finally a punk sound (for the late 70's/early 80's). honestly, still not a massive fan.

cheat- best so far. there's some actual angst in there.

remote control- wow... not even close to "punk"

mixed bag there, bang. i give it a 3/14.

nowhere close to bad religion, dead kenedys, sex pistols, misfits, descendents, social d, iggy, etc.

never got the hype for the clash.

I thought the whole point of The Clash was that could play anything from punk to straight rock to new wave to reggae to ska.

I mean, I guess if you just want fast loud songs that check in at 2:30, you are going to be frustrated.

(To be honest, The Clash is the one band that I assume everyone would like if they really listened to them. I love Dylan and Springsteen, but I can see why people would dislike them. The Clash to me are like The Beatles. I'm not sure how anyone can honestly dislike The Beatles. This thread has gotten weird but at least TheLongshot hasn't turned up to talk about The Alan Parsons Project or Yes or whatever awful prog rock he listens to).

And to your point about rock bands doing the same...I know this.  I'm just saying he has everyone from teens to adults singing his lyrics and they have no idea as to what the actual meaning behind the song is. 

reminds me of a guy i used to work with.  most anti-drug person i ever met.  he looked down on pot smokers like they were the devil incarnate.

he loved the song "landslide" and wouldn't believe me when i told him what it was about.  it was a love ballad to him lol

reminds me of a guy i used to work with.  most anti-drug person i ever met.  he looked down on pot smokers like they were the devil incarnate.

he loved the song "landslide" and wouldn't believe me when i told him what it was about.  it was a love ballad to him lol

Here's a hint: every Stevie Nicks song is about cocaine.

Every Lindsey Buckingham song is about Stevie Nicks. Which means every Lindsey Buckingham song is also about cocaine.

That's just math.

Maybe I'm naive but Nicks herself said the song was written while she was in Colorado contemplating a long term relationship she was in

did she say that before or after seeing her reflection in a snow covered hill?

I just google'd it.. this is a quote directly from Stevie Nicks

It was written in 1973 at a point where Lindsey and I had driven to Aspen for him to rehearse for two weeks with Don Everly. Lindsey was going to take Phil's place. So they rehearsed and left, and I made a choice to stay in Aspen. I figured I'd stay there and one of my girlfriends was there. We stayed there for almost three months while Lindsey was on the road, and this is right after the Buckingham Nicks record had been dropped. And it was horrifying to Lindsey and I because we had a taste of the big time, we recorded in a big studio, we met famous people, we made what we consider to be a brilliant record and nobody liked it (laughs). I had been a waitress and a cleaning lady, and I didn't mind any of this. I was perfectly delighted to work and support us so that Lindsey could produce and work and fix our songs and make our music.

But I had gotten to a point where it was like, "I'm not happy. I am tired. But I don't know if we can do any better than this. If nobody likes this, then what are we going to do?"

So during that two months I made a decision to continue. "Landslide" was the decision. [sings] "When you see my reflection in the snow-covered hills" - it's the only time in my life that I've lived in the snow. But looking up at those Rocky Mountains and going, "Okay, we can do it. I'm sure we can do it." In one of my journal entries, it says, "I took Lindsey and said, 'We're going to the top!'" And that's what we did. Within a year, Mick Fleetwood called us, and we were in Fleetwood Mac making $800 a week apiece (laughs). Washing $100 bills through the laundry. It was hysterical. It was like we were rich overnight.

Archived