Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to host former Saints outside linebacker Junior Galette for visit

FrFan

I'm not sure why anyone being courted by multiple teams would sign a one year contract at the league minimum after his first visit, unless no one else was willing to offer a one-year deal (which would seem awfully strange).  Any ideas?

Probably because this was the best place for him to be a starter. I understand he knows T. Knighton from his college days. And don't forget Skins play the Saints this year, so that could've been on his mind as well. 

Probably because this was the best place for him to be a starter. I understand he knows T. Knighton from his college days. And don't forget Skins play the Saints this year, so that could've been on his mind as well. 

He also knows dhall, and he was only going to get a 1 year deal.  The saints paid him 18 mil this year, he said money wasn't not a deciding factor it was scheme and fit.

Is that based off of what that Saints fan said earlier in the thread?

No it's based on my friends opinion who watches every Saints game. He told me teams average over 6 yards a carry when running at him

The league is full of Aholes. If one guy destroys the locker room like some are worried about, the team culture is weak and not going very far anyway.

I know one thing. Our D coordinator is going to have plenty of pieces to play with on 3rd and longs.

I agree, Murphy is way too good on running downs, and Galette is poor on them. I see Murphy starting on 1st and 2nd downs, and Galette pass rushing, with either Murphy or Smith moving to DE on 3rd downs. On 1st and 2nd downs I dont see Smith seeing the field at all unless theres an injury or he surprises people in camp. He gets a full year to sit on the bench, watch, and not have a ton of pressure put on him.

A second round pick not seeing the field this year

The vet minimum is only about $1M - in any case, since there were six team allegedly pursuing JG, they must have known that they would need to pay at least the minimum, right?

If he is on the roster for game 1, his salary is guaranteed for the year, I believe. But, if its only $1M, that's a deal. Orakpo was making $1M per game last year.

The Skins didn't give him guaranteed money.

The Skins didn't give him guaranteed money.

They didn't need to.  He is a vested veteran (i.e. four years in the league), so if he is on the roster on Game 1, his contract is guaranteed for the year, whether or not the guarantee is written into the contract.  (link)  Again, not a big deal - his contract is for $750K.

Sometimes a marginal player will go along with the team and go to training camp, get cut, and then sign with the team for Game 2, but most of the time, they won't.  That's why Chris Johnson is sitting at home right now.  When week 2 comes along, someone will be willing to pay him with no guarantee.

They didn't need to.  He is a vested veteran (i.e. four years in the league), so if he is on the roster on Game 1, his contract is guaranteed for the year, whether or not the guarantee is written into the contract.  (link)  Again, not a big deal - his contract is for $750K.

Sometimes a marginal player will go along with the team and go to training camp, get cut, and then sign with the team for Game 2, but most of the time, they won't.  That's why Chris Johnson is sitting at home right now.  When week 2 comes along, someone will be willing to pay him with no guarantee.

Not sure why Larry or the others don't get it.  They basically invested $1,000,000 guaranteed.  It's not refundable and they know that.

A second round pick not seeing the field this year? He's playing! Galette is starting. Murphy will not start. The Skins have depth. Guys will be rotated.

I guess you didn't listen to what he said?

Why would you start Galette on running downs, when hes a massive liability, and you have a LBer who was great on running downs last year on your roster?

Him and Kerrigan on the bookends, it would be quite nice duo just like with Jordan on the Saints.

I think having Knighton on the team (college teammate) will help keep him in line plus Baker and Kerrigan are there to help him.

Don't forget we've got a mini Haitian Nation thing going on now.

Don't forget we've got a mini Haitian Nation thing going on now.

Soon, French is going to be the official language in the locker room :P;)

"Galette said he had an honest conversation with general manager Scot McCloughan, and that he came away from their talk with a sense of encouragement and appreciation.

“He loves my passion, he knows I’m a good person,” Galette said. “Obviously I’ve made mistakes. We all make mistakes, but it’s what you do after that. I’m ready to learn from them and be part of this organization that’s taken me in as a family.”

McCloughan wasn’t made available for comment despite multiple requests."

"Galette’s attorney has insisted that it wasn’t his client in the video"

"Galette declined to discuss the incidents, and although he has yet to find out if the league will suspend him for his involvements, he said he will not focus on the past."

These couple of statements are quite contradictory and he didn't corroborate his lawyer's version so far.

The only thing I'll say is I wouldn't sign him long term. I like the pick up a lot and I think he's going to have a good year but I just wouldn't commit a large contract to him. Let's just hope he has a great year and signs somewhere else for big money so we get a third round pick out of it in 2017.

Let's just hope he has a great year and signs somewhere else for big money so we get a third round pick out of it in 2017.

That is a question I have.  We have signed Knighton and now Galette to one year deals.  If we lose them to free agency, do we get any compensatory picks?  I get so confused with how all that works.  I know there is top secret lab in Area 51 where a few guys determine who  gets what, but it never makes sense to me.

The only thing I'll say is I wouldn't sign him long term. I like the pick up a lot and I think he's going to have a good year but I just wouldn't commit a large contract to him. Let's just hope he has a great year and signs somewhere else for big money so we get a third round pick out of it in 2017.

The only thing that would change that for me would be a complete turnaround off the field.  We have some good influences on the team for him to learn from if he has it in his heart to be a better man.

...or if he has over 15 sacks.  j/k (kind of)

Archived