Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I can't quit you babe

TheDarb

By "it" you mean 3 chords, right. :lol:

no need to complicate it. You don't see Rush coming up in these conversations, do you?

By this logic, I'm better at getting chicks than Justin Timberlake.

only if you've been great at it for 40 years. If JT stays single, he'll be the AC/DC of picking up chics.

You're probably more like an areosmith. Mediocre and passable for 40.

As I write this I’m wondering can I really do this?  Can the guy who wore a Skins sweatshirt in his first grade class picture, who cried so much when they lost Super Bowl VII that his dad promised (and delivered) a trip to the Super Bowl the next time they went (Super Bowl XVII), who ritually ate Ledo’s pizza every Sunday watching the games from 1971 through 1992 until he moved south, who has missed watching maybe 5 games in the last 44 years really break this bond?  Yes, I think I can. I think I must.  There is just no joy left in being a Redskins fan.  Only misery.  And we all know who we have to thank for that.

A younger colleague of mine at work were talking about how high the prices of Super Bowl tickets were these days and that even if/when the Redskins make it back there, how we'd probably prefer to watch the game in the DMV with friends and family instead of in Miami, New Orleans, or wherever the game was played. And I related the memory of going over to my aunt and uncle's house to watch XXVI (the only one of the SBs where I was living in the DC area) and how after every single play, the 30-40 folks in the room would clap and cheer, which was in abundance that day as the Skins pretty much dominated the Bills.

Those memories are the ones that keep me coming back, even if I'm reserved in my judgment about how well the team is going to do this year.  I can more understand the younger folks who've seldom seen winning seasons in the past 20+ years, but us relatively older folks? Nah.

And is far as the "misery" is concerned?  I know we're on Extreme Skins, home of a subset of some pretty devoted fans, but honestly, does this stuff really bring some folks that much unhappiness that you won't even watch?  I can understand not wanting to purchase Sunday Ticket, but if you've followed the team for this long, you have to enjoy the sport at some level. Go to a bar and have a beverage and an appetizer and watch......its only a three-hour investment.  If anything would drive me away from football, its some of the ridiculous rules these days like a receiver having to take 10 steps before possession is established, or a 15-yard penalty if a quarterback is breathed on. In the meantime, I like the attitude that BOW93 has.....people just have to laugh, and not get so despondent or pissy at every article that has the team predicted to finish in last place. Save your anguish for when the Skins are playoff regulars again and are losing tough postseason games (yes, I typed that with a straight face).

Just my two cents........

Hendrix changed the face of music as we know it. Only EVH changed guitar playing (upside down rather) like Hendrix did.

If you want to use living legends than David Gilmour smacks the **** out of Angus Young.

TK...3 chords! Love you man! (Didnt know you played?)

Ali Farka Toure was better than Hendrix. I'm a huge fan of Hendrix. If we're talking best guitar players, he's in the conversation. I don't think he changed the world though. That's more Elvis, Beatles, Wray. I'd also say Marc Knoppler might be the best technical player ever. Heck, Sabbath changed music more than Hendrix, but I wouldn't put Iommi over Jimi.

Quite honestly, I got all of my negative Redskin's emotions out by the late 90's, early 2000's. Now if they suck on Sunday, I just go surfing...swell or no swell. I guess I've been conditioned to expect them to suck, to get my hopes up and then smash them back to reality...so when they do, it's not a surprise. Trust me, I'm not thinking about them one bit when I'm sitting in the lineup

Wow, what a coincidence, I just dropped my NFL network package today, too. I'm still a fan, but I can't pay $300+ for what I've been seeing the past few years. I hope GMSM fixes it. I'll still read what I can, watch all the highlights I can up here in the state of WA, still wear my redskins jersey to work on Fridays, but not gonna pay, not gonna get too emotionally involved. Heck, if they turn it around this year and all it took was for me to not pay for the NFL package, its worth it!

Wholy **** u really pay 300 ****ing plus dollars???

Band of Gypsys and especially, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, were GREAT bands.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd_p1qp4rdc

Prodigy is a kickass upbeat tempo band

Nope. Hendrix is young man...

PS...use paragraphs :)

Lol I'm working on it sorry as I noticed reading my post again...Hendrix was the greatest guitar player next to Page... Ya what the others said Hendrix is...isn't a band???...

Anybody know what was voted greatest guitar riff of all time in the history of music?

TheDarb, don't let the Prick-sco's of the world get you down.  Enjoy the football experience.

Also, don't let the kids down, they need to see the consistency from you.  You can't quit, what kind of example would that be?

Greatest band ever?  I'll take these guys in '72.

Ali Farka Toure was better than Hendrix. I'm a huge fan of Hendrix. If we're talking best guitar players, he's in the conversation. I don't think he changed the world though. That's more Elvis, Beatles, Wray. I'd also say Marc Knoppler might be the best technical player ever. Heck, Sabbath changed music more than Hendrix, but I wouldn't put Iommi over Jimi.

There's a huge difference between 'Best' and 'Most Influential'...Hendrix was, and continues to be one of the most influential electric rock guitar players ever.

Personally, I'd rather play one note and have everybody know it was me, than to be able to sit down and play an incredibly complex composition. Thank god I can do both :P

There are so many truly amazing, genius guitarists that have no recognition or notoriety. 

Zepplin was around for 8 short years. Hendrix was a person, not a band and also not around long. I don't know wtf prodigy is.

AC/DC has been doing it over 40 years. Nobody has been able to copy them either. I've seen 3 generations of women sitting together singing their songs. AC/DC is the most rocking band of all time.

It's the wrong time to quit us. We're finally turning it around. You'll be back as soon as we start winning. Why even post about it? You're not breaking up with us here on ES. We'll be fine.

AC/DC I have as my fourth favorite of all time...just heard whole lotta Rosie the other day..no stereo on earth could have got loud enough...thunderstruck right at my favorite rock song ever...as much scence as it might not make lol

Zepplin was around for 8 short years. Hendrix was a person, not a band and also not around long. I don't know wtf prodigy is.

AC/DC has been doing it over 40 years. Nobody has been able to copy them either. I've seen 3 generations of women sitting together singing their songs. AC/DC is the most rocking band of all time.

It's the wrong time to quit us. We're finally turning it around. You'll be back as soon as we start winning. Why even post about it? You're not breaking up with us here on ES. We'll be fine.

Well.... AC/DC is my second favorite band ever...I remember the day Bon Scott died...I was heart broken...but Brian Johnson came in and continued to rock it better than any replacement singer I can think of...they didn't miss a beat...thank you Phil Rudd....followed by Pink Floyd (he's great)...but LZ is number one...in my book... 

/still my balls are always bouncing to the left and to the right

Greatest band ever?  I'll take these guys in '72.

Love you choice.  These are my guys.  Every album so musical and great musicians.  As someone said earlier there are SO many unknown marvelous players out there.  Hell, I've played with a few.  Steely Dan always used top shelf studio guys....Great stuff.

I was going to say that this thread really got off track somewhere but then I realized it had no track to begin with

I started it with my comment about Led Zeppelin being the greatest band of all time...than my thots started drifting towards my best friend and I debacling our top ten fav bands of all times...and. and...umm what the **** was I talking about. ? Hmmmm o well go skins!!

Just two things wrong with this thread.

He'll be back and The Prodigy is the greatest band ever.

Way back some time in the mid '90's, coming out of the rave scene back when we used to go to clubs for the music; I called a friend in a shall we say 'high' state and screamed down the 'phone 'I'm a firestarter, twisted firestarter; You're the firestarter, twisted firestarter; I'm a firestarter, twisted firestarter! ..... Yers avvin' that BIATCH!' ..... to a long pause, and then my friends dad saying 'I think you want 'r Paul.' 

But I digress. Interesting time to decide to jack it in. On the eve of camp. 

Good look filling the void Sunday's man. Because as **** as we are, there's going to be a BIG one. 

Hail. 

*Edit* Oh yeah, that greatest band ever thing ..... 4 lads from this City would like a word. 

Actually that would be 12 yrs from 1968 to 1980 when John Bonham died. Jimmy Page and Robert ant have had success since one their own. Also, there have been some reunions and John Bonhams son has a Zeppelin tribute band that tours with Heart, or did a few years ago. AC/DC is a great band but sorry, they are just no match for Led Zeppelin, literally the most influential heavy metal band of all time. I bet if you asked anyone in AC/DC they would tell you Zeppelin is the better band.

But I do agree giving up now just makes no sense. We finally have someone in the FO that knows WTF they are doing!!  We are at least finally headed in the right direction.

1. Led Zepplin were great. Possibly one of the most under-rated bands of all time. Bad timing. They came around while most fans were still obsessed with the Beatles and Stones. John Bonham, Bill Ward, Stewart Copeland. Highly under-rated.

2. AC/DC was great, but once Bonn Scott died they diminished; and if you throw out "Back in Black" I will find you and force-feed you vodka and Bonn Scott until you understand.

3. I've been a huge football/Redskins fan since the mid-seventies, but I find myself, for the first time in my life, a bigger Nats fan.

Football is great, but with the way NFL operates (cap violation), and the way our team operates, I've lost my vigor.

This is probably the first training camp since 1977 that I don't really care about.

Unless Snyder lets McCloughan have true free reign for the next five years, we'll be right back where we started. I can't do that anymore.

In the immortal words of Danny Glover. "I'm gettin' too old for this ****."

Would have expected this thread after the season ended, not after our most encouraging offseason in a long while.

Don't gulp down the Koolaid, but what's the point of being a fan if this kind of offseason doesn't at least get your hopes up a bit? I'm not going to judge another's fandom or how he or she decides to show it--we all have a unique, strangely personal relationship with any sports team that gains our allegiance. No way to compare one person's experience as a fan to another's.

But I think you're making this decision at the wrong time, in the context of the past five years.

Archived