Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier doesn't want the team to talk about hot reads anymore

Reporter: How many hot reads do you have in the offense?

Spurrier: I just told the team we're not gonna comment about that. No we're not gonna talk about that.

Reporter: (cajolingly) Well I'm not with the team you can talk to me.

Spurrier: We haven't had as many as most teams certainly...but uh...well we'll see how it works out this week.

audio of today's press briefing

Reading between the lines it looks like SOS may have finally seen the light and made hot read adjustments to his offense. We'll see come Sunday.

The reason Spurrier doesn't have a lot of hot reads is because his system is based on the QB calling the right play. If the QB sees blitz, then he has to call the play that is supposed to beat that blitz. If you want to get technical his entire office is a hot read. Chris Doering was talking about that today on the Junkies.

That about covers it Jbooma. That's one of the major differences between S.S. 's offense and the rest. Now about those hot reads. I'm S.S. trying to get a win here and I'm game planning for Seattle, (not only that, but there are few games after that), whose DC is Ray Rhodes. He's kinda good. If I'm deciding to include more hot reads into my offense, the last person I'm going to discuss this with is a reporter.

Originally posted by jbooma

The reason Spurrier doesn't have a lot of hot reads is because his system is based on the QB calling the right play. If the QB sees blitz, then he has to call the play that is supposed to beat that blitz.

And therein lies the flaw.

NFL defenses do not lineup presnap and advertise what they are going to do. They are far craftier and much more deceptive than their collegiate counterparts. Even veteran qbs have a difficuklt time determining pre-snap what defense they'll be facing and who, if anyone, will be blitzing.

The FNG is predicated on the quarterbacks ability to read the defense pre-snap and if neccesary call an audible to a better play. IT IS THE ONLY OFFENSE IN THE LEAGUE THAT PUTS THIS MUCH POWER IN ONE MANS HAND-- THE QB. Simply put, if the qb makes the wrong audible at the line of scrimmage there will be no post snap adjustment by the receiver. The play will be run as called.

Other offenses have audibles of course, but they also have hot reads-- predetermined patterns the WRs are responsible to run if a "hot player" blitzes AFTER the snap. Manning. for example, has 3 plays which he can audible to when he goes to the line of scrimmage, BUT his offense also includes hot reads to protect him from the unforseen.

The addition of such a scheme, assuming it can be implimented in just a week, would help Ramsey tremendously when the defense succesfully disguises it's intentions before the ball is snapped.

Originally posted by A Rubella Rich Corps

IT IS THE ONLY OFFENSE IN THE LEAGUE THAT PUTS THIS MUCH POWER IN ONE MANS HAND-- THE QB.

Another reason why we needed Woeful. He could have taught Ramsey this. This is why when he was QB yes he didn't have the physical strength but the offense clicked very well.

Another reason why we needed Woeful. He could have taught Ramsey this. This is why when he was QB yes he didn't have the physical strength but the offense clicked very well.

Agreed. Snyder's decision to cut Wuerfel over the strident objections of Spurrier was a huge mistake. We thought if someone got hurt and we needed him he was just a phone call away. We were wrong.

Originally posted by A Rubella Rich Corps

Agreed. Snyder's decision to cut Wuerfel over the strident objections of Spurrier was a huge mistake. We thought if someone got hurt and we needed him he was just a phone call away. We were wrong.

The other thing it did was showed the players that Spurrier had no power :(

boy am I getting sick and tired of hearing about systems :laugh:

the Ravens rode a stone age offense with a running game to a Super Bowl title, and here all we can talk about is how all the sexy audibles at the line are going to give us a great edge once we find out how to get everything called and get all the players lined up before the snap!

If you want to get technical his entire offense is a hot read. Chris Doering was talking about that today on the Junkies.

Great point, I have wondered why this continues to be a big topic. When audibles are the centerpoint of the offense, it's already in the qb's hand to change the play to receiver routes that will beat the blitz.

Ramsey isn't making those reads, that's why its a big deal.

I think Spurrier is frustrated with Ramsey's lack of understanding but he won't say it publically for fear of wrecking Ramsey's confidence.

No Bulldog, the Ravens rode the NFL's best defense into the Superbowl. The offense was along for the ride. Billick did have to simplify the offense for Dilfer some, but considering that Dilfer was a midseason replacement this isn't a surprise. Skins don't have that luxury and frankly I'm betting you ask most NFL guys about that way of winning a Superbowl, they'd just as soon stay away from that.

It almost sounds like he's offended by "hot reads"

I really enjoy the hot read feature in madden, he should give it a try.

But anyways, maybe hot reads have hurt him in the past, caused an INT and that was it, out with the hot reads. Its kinda funny to hear how offended he is by hot reads. How weird.

I've passed for 600 yards and run for 300 in Madden, not sure that's going to translate too well into the real thing. Be cool if it would. As for S.S. and hot reads, hard to say. if he wants to add some it won't be much of a problem. Pretty easy actually. Problem is the same though. Making sure QB and receiver are on the same page.

Originally posted by codeorama

Great point, I have wondered why this continues to be a big topic. When audibles are the centerpoint of the offense, it's already in the qb's hand to change the play to receiver routes that will beat the blitz.

Ramsey isn't making those reads, that's why its a big deal.

I think Spurrier is frustrated with Ramsey's lack of understanding but he won't say it publically for fear of wrecking Ramsey's confidence.

I think the defenses might be showing Ramsey looks that will force him to audible into a play the the defense can exploit. Disguising what they are going to do.

A problem with relying on the presnap read is that most NFL defenses are very good at disguising.

Laverneous Coles knows a thing or two about hot reads. He was busting up and using them all day against the Cowboys and getting wide open, however it is obvious the offense doesn't practice them because Ramsey would still throw the post route when Coles was WIDE OPEN FOR A TD in the middle of the field. Hot Reads/Routes, ARE ESSENTIAL.

Fu** hot reads.

I don't trust this offense to read and adjust to anything with positive results. Just line up and punch'em in da mouf.

The screen and passes out in the flat to rb's is good enough.

The slants work well.

But it's all about the run.

Our D will rest longer. The other teams pressure will not come as strong. Our Oline will get a chance to put some guys on their a$$es for a change......LETS DO IT STEVE....knock seattle on their butts man.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

Laverneous Coles knows a thing or two about hot reads. He was busting up and using them all day against the Cowboys and getting wide open, however it is obvious the offense doesn't practice them because Ramsey would still throw the post route when Coles was WIDE OPEN FOR A TD in the middle of the field. Hot Reads/Routes, ARE ESSENTIAL.

This has already been discussed... Ramsey was supposed to throw to the middle of the field, where Coles went. Spurrier was on Ramsey on the sidelines immediately after the play. The Offense is all about throwing to the open spot on a field, isn't that what a hot read is???

What you just said contradicts yourself.

If there are no hot reads in the offense, why was Coles doing them??

The facts are, the offense requires the WR and QB to READ the defense and find the open area of the field. ON that play in particular, the safety was blitzing and the middle of the field was open, problem is that Ramsey didn't read the blitz, but Coles did.

Hot Reads are just another term for what the Fun and Gun already does.

Great point Code...

This whole argument seems to be a big contradiction. We want the offense to be dynamic and able to adjust to defenses with "hot reads" and what we have is an offense that is ultra-dynamic and able to go to completely different plays at the line.

I think the system, if executed properly, can work. I wish everyone would just pause, take a deep breath, and understand that it takes time for things to gel. Patience is a virtue.

I long for the days when Sonny J. used to call his own f***ing plays. That, instead of the QB standing there for 20 seconds with his hands clamped over his earholes trying to hear his helmet speaker for the play, then having to rush to get the fricking play called, lined up, audibled off, and snapped. QB's now can't call their own plays even in the two minute offense.

Too early to dream of Ramsey doing that, but he's as smart as Peyton Manning, and Peyton may be the only guy in the league that does it anymore.

Its a tall order to put this much responsibility on the QB. Ramseys shouldn't have to read the blitz, he comes from Tulane a shotgun systemm, he has enough trouble with the seven step drops. I'm still trying to figure out how a scheme like this can work with such a young QB. If Coles sees something, and Ramsey's doesn't can't it be chalked up to inexpereince. Man some times i really wish we had Brad Johnson.

Archived