Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Submitted ONES, 2015 Official PRE_SEASON/Camp Twitter Thread: The will to win on the field starts now. (NO RG3 POSTS!)

SWFLSkins

Spencer did have a bad night.

2 holding penalties that wiped out first downs (one a big gain), allowed a sack, and whiffed on a block badly when McCoy threw a screen pass to Thompson. There was a lot of empty real estate in front of Thompson on that play if Spencer blocked his man, but he missed him. So instead of a big gain, it was a 2 yard loss.

And this was against the Jaguars' rookies and 3rd stringers.

Not a good night.

He may have gone from the leading candidate to start coming into camp to off the team.

I don't know what other thread this would go to so ill put it here.  But did anyone else notice how upbeat and relaxed all of the coaching staff looked last night?  Not saying its a bad thing quite the opposite honestly it was refreshing but also sort of suprising.  Even RG3 seemed in a good mood from the pictures I saw.

I noticed it, but I guess since it was a meaningless preseason game, no reason to be too serious. :)

We like to say this final preseason is a last chance for guys on the bubble to make a showing. However I think, in reality, the coaches have pretty much made up their minds about most positions on this team.

Rexx1240 writes:

Not sure if ESPN posted on twitter but they did on facebook naming their Top 12 Greatest NFL teams of All time:

I would put the '91 Redskins over the '99 Rams as well.

I am surprised at some omissions like the '86 Giants. I'm also surprised none of the '90s Cowboys Super Bowl teams are on there (only because this is ESPN :) ).

He's right about this though - don't see anyway Roberts is cut. I'd be thinking about trying to trade him though if I was Scott. In any case we have to find a way to keep Ross on the 53, guy has won a spot on an NFL roster this preseason and I'd like it to be here not somewhere else after we cut him.

Given the state of our roster and the fact that we aren't likely to contend this year, I would hope that Scot is having trade talks about all of our veteran WRs right now. If he could unload any one of Garcon, Roberts, or Jackson to open up room for the younger WRs, I think that would be a wise long-term move. My preference would be Roberts, then Garcon, then Jackson...but the compensation would reflect that.

Duke Ihenacho has won the Redskins' starting strong safety job.

He beat out Jeron Johnson, who was signed as a free agent after spending the first four years of his career in Seattle. Ihenacho is a "box" safety who started 18 games for the 2013 Broncos. He missed most of last season with a broken heel.
Sep 4 - 9:17 AM

I don't know what other thread this would go to so ill put it here.  But did anyone else notice how upbeat and relaxed all of the coaching staff looked last night?  Not saying its a bad thing quite the opposite honestly it was refreshing but also sort of suprising.  Even RG3 seemed in a good mood from the pictures I saw.

It might have had a little to do with the RG3 news, but I think it could also have to do with the fact that the 4th preseason game is like a varsity team attending a JV scrimmage. This game is essentially boils down to a bunch of guys fighting for a handful of spots to realize their dream. I think that's fun for the coaches and the players who know they have a spot. In the end, they can all probably relate with these guys who are grinding just to stick in the league.

Last week was the pressure game from a team perspective...this week is more of a try-out for some guys who have worked their asses off all summer to have one last shot.

Rexx1240 writes:

I would put the '91 Redskins over the '99 Rams as well.

I am surprised at some omissions like the '86 Giants. I'm also surprised none of the '90s Cowboys Super Bowl teams are on there (only because this is ESPN :) ).

I think some of those teams were so one dimensional, they've become overrated, like the 85 Bears. Regardless of how good that one dimension was.

Chadwiko Menendez @ChadwikoRCC 36s36 seconds ago

Chadwiko Menendez retweeted Paul Conner

I'm predicting this to be correct, and the player in question to be Rashad Ross.

Chadwiko Menendez added,

Paul Conner @P_Hazard
53-Man roster prediction: There will be at least one cut that really angers #Redskins fans

HogsHaven.com @HogsHaven 3m3 minutes ago

#Redskins receiver @TheRocketRashad had an outstanding preseason. #HTTR #RedskinsTalk http://www.hogshaven.com/2015/9/4/9255781/washington-redskins-stat-of-the-week-rashad-ross?utm_campaign=hogshaven&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter 

COEAK-TXAAEXwS6.jpg

michael phillips @michaelpRTD 4m4 minutes ago

Our cut day page is now live. Follow along as the Redskins trim their roster to 53: http://www.richmond.com/redskins-xtra/article_b740b1e4-52a6-11e5-844c-5bebc899f775.html 

Mark Bullock @MarkBullockNFL 5m5 minutes ago

Nope RT @redskin_potato: @MarkBullockNFL Do you think Long is a lock?

Is it just me or was that challenge from last night that gruden won, his first won challenge since being our coach? Seems like he was o-fer on challenges all of last season.

he went 1 for 8 last year, but pretty much all of them could have gone either direction, and some were flat out wrong calls

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/GrudJa0.htm

The 99 Rams?  They barely beat a Titans team that wasn't remotely as good as the Bills team the Skins beat down (that said, Cowboys beat them down too but Bills were still stacked if you look back at that roster.)

The 91 Skins also had a better margin of victory than even the 85 Bears and allowed Skins QBs to be sacked, what, 9 times total?

89 Niners were awesome.  Montana and Rice in their prime with some fantastic defensive players? That team was better than the 94 Niners.

It also doesn't include any of the early-to-mid 90's Cowboys teams. Think of them what you will (personally I think they're all whore-mongering, coke-head, assholes, but that's, like, my opinion, man) that was arguably the greatest team ever. If not for the Johnson-Jones fued, we'd be talking about at least 4 Super Bowls. Those teams were stacked.

I think some of those teams were so one dimensional, they've become overrated, like the 85 Bears. Regardless of how good that one dimension was.

Yeah, not to mention, I think, the mid-1990s was a down time for the NFC. The Cowboys were kind of a big fish in a little pond. :)

Andrew Walker @AWalkerRedskins 17m17 minutes ago

Andrew Walker retweeted Washington Redskins

Oh look, a brand new countdown graphic series that has nothing to do with uniform number.

Andrew Walker added,

COD_qSdWwAAFZFs.png
Washington Redskins @Redskins

Burgundy Blog @BurgundyBlog 7m7 minutes ago

@AWalkerRedskins Figured it was a theme switch but you could've anticipated murmurs when it started with #10!

Andrew Walker @AWalkerRedskins 2m2 minutes ago

@BurgundyBlog Of course. I'm not blind to the reaction. But it's just a coincidence and starting a new countdown at 9 is odd.

Yeah right

Andrew Walker @AWalkerRedskins 11m11 minutes ago

Andrew Walker retweeted In The Trenches

On a similar note, @pcalbright and @NateTheDesigner are killing it with our graphics.

Andrew Walker added,

COBfN8bUsAAV_AQ.jpg
COBfN8cU8AEk94m.jpg
COBfN8dUYAAKzOd.jpg
COBfN8gUwAA3752.jpg
In The Trenches @inthetrenches30
Great flow of design content from the @Redskins! The ticket designs are 1f525.png1f525.png1f525.png!

Adam Caplan @caplannfl 18m18 minutes ago

Beginning Sunday after 4:00 pm ET, teams can use their 1 IR-designation for return move. Day was moved up from Tuesday in years past.

Emmanual Benton @Manny_PPI 20m20 minutes ago

Martrell Spaight hasn't played overly poor this pre-season, but Terrance Plummer has been everything you'd want to see from Spaight.

Jason_OTC @Jason_OTC 21m21 minutes ago

Jason_OTC retweeted Mike Rodak

Teams should cut most guys before practice even if just to protect from possible injury liabilities

Mike McCartney @MikeMcCartney7 22s23 seconds ago

Most #NFL players who are getting cut today essentially already know by how they've been treated the last day or two. Basically ignored.

Dan Steinberg @dcsportsbog 8m8 minutes ago

Bruce Allen took a selfie with this fan. Then I asked the fan about his tee shirt http://wapo.st/1NQltGa 

COEFHX5WUAUPuno.jpg
COEFHfNWUAQGM07.jpg

Grant Paulsen @granthpaulsen 46s46 seconds ago

Hey #Redskins fans. Spread the word. #GrantAndDanny guests today to include Kirk Cousins at 10:50 and WR roster hopeful Rashad Ross as well.

Stephen Czarda @SCzardaRedskins 1m1 minute ago

#Redskins TE @Niles_Paul84 goes with a bright green cast for his ankle. MORE: http://bit.ly/1XpMcfU 

COEG3OCW8AAdVu3.jpg

Is it just me or was that challenge from last night that gruden won, his first won challenge since being our coach? Seems like he was o-fer on challenges all of last season.

Yeah he is awful at challenges. Granted, he's had some bad breaks where he should have won but also some headerscrathers to go along with his overall terrible percentage

Emmanual Benton @Manny_PPI 2h2 hours ago

Trey Williams is going to be tough to cut. I like his vision. His jump cut, hips and balance are insane. #Redskins can also use him outwide.

@Manny_PPI Always hate this time of year but this one feels particularly tough what with some of the talent on roster #Redskins

He's right about this though - don't see anyway Roberts is cut. I'd be thinking about trying to trade him though if I was Scott. In any case we have to find a way to keep Ross on the 53, guy has won a spot on an NFL roster this preseason and I'd like it to be here not somewhere else after we cut him.

You have to reward a guy like him. Coming up from the practice squad last year and noticeably improving every game. He was on a different level then everyone else last night. As far I am concerned, he earned a spot, so they need to find a way. The more you reward young players who work their ass off and get promoted, the harder you are going to get the entire team to work to get better.

Edit- I would assume we are keeping at least 5 recievers, probably 6. It should look like this-

Jackson

Garcon

Roberts

Grant

Crowder

Spencer

Ross

If we are going 5, I think we need to cut Roberts loose and allow the younger guys to get more playing time. They have all proven that they can play. At the very least, Spencer and Crowder add to the special teams.

Bucs waived OLB Khaseem Greene.

Even Greene's 98-yard pick-six in the preseason finale wasn't enough to save his job. The former fourth-round pick of the Bears could get claimed off waivers.

Dolphins waived DT Anthony Johnson, OG Michael Liedtke, and OT Donald Hawkins.

Johnson is the most notable name. The second-year UDFA out of LSU made the Dolphins and played 84 snaps last season, but was the odd man out this year following the additions of Ndamukong Suh and C.J. Mosley.

Second-year CB Dezmen Southward isn't expected to make the Falcons' 53-man roster.

Southward, the 68th pick in last year's draft, has been on the wrong side of the bubble all summer and did nothing to distinguish himself. Southward has great size at 6'2/210, but has been unable to make the transition from safety.

$3.75 million cap hit? His base next year is $4 million. The cap hit if they cut him post June 1 would be $1 mil. I expect he will be gone next year.

I also expect they would rather they waited until next year.  Young QB's need vet WR's or it gets messy.

Like 2 babies changing each other's diapers messy.  He can contribute to this team.

Archived