Gamebreaker

Random Tech/IT Thread

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

 

For me the flaw in the A+ cert was that it felt like much more about memorizing terms than actual knowledge.  Teenagers were building computers on their own, and if they got stuck on a step or two they could do research, or go to local computer shop/electronics store to fill in the gaps, yet the A+ cert was mostly concerned that you have memorized the names of every single kind of port or channel.  It was the epitome of studying merely for a test as opposed to actually learning.  Now this was almost 20 years ago, not sure what the exam is like now. 

 

 

Moved convo to here so we dont derail that thread.

 

Isnt that the not the problem with most certifications?  I have 6 now, feel like only one where i couldn't get away with momorizing terms was Linux+, hardest one i ever took.  Security+ is the quintiessential terminonly test in my book, and i think intentionally because it's making sure you understand concepts of security, which I'm fine with given how many dont get the basics.  

 

I look at the test different then the material, you dont have to understand the material in the way necessary to use it in many lower level certification, why you see so many actual test question banks floating around.  

 

But for me, A+ was important because i felt like coming away from studying for it i understood how the computer works together and formed the basis of treating everything in IT as modular.  You can pass the test without learning how to think like a computer technician, but i learned how to think a computer technician studying for it.  I try to treat all my certs like that, but a lot of people don't, just a box to checks some forget which one's they have at some point.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SoulSkin said:

 

I like to try and post things like this that I run into and think might be helpful here. I've gotten some help here before, definitely by tshile, probably renegade and you, so I try to remember that and contribute here. I figured, besides people that work in IT, this issue might have affected some people who poke their heads in here when they see new post, and use Windows 7 machines at home or in their small offices, etc. I figured someone would probably run into the issues at some point yesterday.

 

 

Good call on posting the info. :cheers:

I had him uninstall the update and that worked. He actually got couple of call this morning on this. He was very thankful. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 12:30 PM, SoulSkin said:

Ran into some odd file sharing issues for several people this morning, and knew it was related to Windows Updates. This is on some Windows 7 or Server 2008 machines that were updated last night, with the specific issue of a network share not being able to be accessed using credentials of a local admin on the PC/Server sharing the folder. The registry edit works (at least on Windows 7). Guess you could also change the way the share is accessed, depending on your environment/s. We had several people having issues with copiers scanning to folders on PCs, and some small workgroup users accessing Quickbooks file shares. Thought it might save someone else the trouble of tracking it down.

 

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/01/09/windows-7-and-server-2008-r2-updates-kb4480970-and-kb4480960-causing-network-issues/

 

 

 

MS released a patch for this issue. MS Description-Link . No idea if it actually works. https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4487345

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Does anyone know how to identify who owns a domain name?

 

I think whois dot com gives a basic level of identification.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So whois said it was unavailable but directed me to a company called Moniker.  They seem to have it and I can buy it for $8.  Is that legit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

So whois said it was unavailable but directed me to a company called Moniker.  They seem to have it and I can buy it for $8.  Is that legit?

 

It looks like Moniker is a registrar. Someone else probably registered the domain there, and they would sort of be a middleman, in helping them sell it. It appears legit to me,  but I've never heard of them before. I found three bad reviews on the BBB website and also from some people on a message board (bad responsiveness/poor support). I can link to that if you want. My experience with oddball domain registrar's is they almost always have bad support and getting things done with your domains is more difficult then the bigger registrars due to lack of documentation and confusing interfaces. Not always, but quite a few that I've run into over the years.

 

Edited by SoulSkin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

So whois said it was unavailable but directed me to a company called Moniker.  They seem to have it and I can buy it for $8.  Is that legit?

 

$8? If that is truly is the price then you should get it. 

 

8 hours ago, SoulSkin said:

 

It looks like Moniker is a registrar. Someone else probably registered the domain there, and they would sort of be a middleman, in helping them sell it. It appears legit to me,  but I've never heard of them before. I found three bad reviews on the BBB website and also from some people on a message board (bad responsiveness/poor support). I can link to that if you want. My experience with oddball domain registrar's is they almost always have bad support and getting things done with your domains is more difficult then the bigger registrars due to lack of documentation and confusing interfaces. Not always, but quite a few that I've run into over the years.

 

 

But once you get the domain you want you can then just move it to GoDaddy or 1and1.com. I have lots of customer domains on 1and1 and GoDaddy and they are cheap and support is pretty good too. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, zskins said:

 

$8? If that is truly is the price then you should get it. 

 

 

But once you get the domain you want you can then just move it to GoDaddy or 1and1.com. I have lots of customer domains on 1and1 and GoDaddy and they are cheap and support is pretty good too. :)

 

For $8, I agree. if it's something @PleaseBlitz really wants. Just be ready for potential frustration in the sale and that transfer process to GoDaddy or wherever. My company is actually a reseller for GoDaddy. So, it's really GoDaddy, but our own special branding, etc.. I haven't really tried much else in a while. I have had to transfer stuff to us from things like "GoBigMedia" and something called Enom. Moniker at least looks more put together than those operations.

Edited by SoulSkin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get ready for the end of everything you thought you knew.  Gimmie Office on Linux already, stop draggin...

 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/6/18534687/microsoft-windows-10-linux-kernel-feature

 

Microsoft will ship a full Linux kernel in Windows 10

 

Microsoft has surprised many in the Linux developer community in recent years. Surprises have included bringing things like the Bash shell to Windows, or native OpenSSH in Windows 10, and even including Ubuntu, SUSE Linux, and Fedora in the Windows Store. Microsoft is now going even further, with plans to ship a full Linux kernel directly in Windows 10.

 

“Beginning with Windows Insiders builds this Summer, we will include an in-house custom-built Linux kernel to underpin the newest version of the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL),” explains Microsoft program manager Jack Hammons. “The kernel itself will initially be based on version 4.19, the latest long-term stable release of Linux. The kernel will be rebased at the designation of new long-term stable releases to ensure that the WSL kernel always has the latest Linux goodness.”

 

Microsoft’s integration of Linux in Windows 10 will interface with a userspace installed via the Windows Store. It’s a big shift for Microsoft, and marks the first time that the Linux kernel will be included as part of Windows. It sounds like this Linux kernel integration will be available later this year, with a Windows 10 update that’s codenamed 19H2.

 

For developers it should dramatically improve the performance of Microsoft’s Linux subsystem in Windows. Microsoft is also promising to update this kernel through Windows Update, and it will be fully open source with the ability for developers to create their own WSL kernel and contribute changes.

 

Microsoft also announced Windows Terminal today, a new command line app for Windows. It’s designed to be the central location for access to environments like PowerShell, Cmd, and the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Get ready for the end of everything you thought you knew.  Gimmie Office on Linux already, stop draggin...

I'll stick with Gentoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I'll stick with Gentoo

They wont let me use that at work, Mint is an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Canonical (the maintainers of Ubuntu) made the brilliant decision over the weekend to announce they'd stop supporting 32-bit libraries starting with the next release in October.   A couple days later, Valve came out and said that Steam would not be supporting Ubuntu moving forward.  It did not take long for Canonical to start back-tracking.  Curious to see if they can backtrack enough to earn back Valve's support, or if Steam will be moving on to a new recommended Distro.  Could be interesting to see how it affects the landscape of Linux distros.

Edited by PokerPacker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any of yall have your Sec+ cert? And if so any tips on the exam/study? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Canonical (the maintainers of Ubuntu) made the brilliant decision over the weekend to announce they'd stop supporting 32-bit libraries starting with the next release in October.   A couple days later, Valve came out and said that Steam would not be supporting Ubuntu moving forward.  It did not take long for Canonical to start back-tracking.  Curious to see if they can backtrack enough to earn back Valve's support, or if Steam will be moving on to a new recommended Distro.  Could be interesting to see how it affects the landscape of Linux distros.

 

I turned on Ubuntu after unity, but it's one if the few that's done a decent job as a starting point for people that are tired of Windows.  This is another example of trying to be cool over functional that really bothers me with some of the more popular Linux desktop distros that are damn near targeted at Windows users.  They will never compete with Windows for marketshare they want to until they do something like get Microsoft to make a linux version of Office, but even Office still has 32bit versions.

36 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Any of yall have your Sec+ cert? And if so any tips on the exam/study? 

Passed it three times, going to go after CE next so never have to take it again.  What worked for me was getting a Sybex book, doing the professor messer videos and pdf cheat sheet, then going to measureup for practice questions until I was in the 90s or started recognizing questions.  3 months is realistic, dont reread the book, if you dont get something, look somewhere else for a shorter, better explanation. Donr do a bootcamp unless you read the book first, you'll be wasting your time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ^^^^ 

 

Company paid for the bootcamp so I took that. I feel like it helped. I have been taking those practice exams and I have the professor messer stuff too. Though I dont have his PDF cheat sheet....I know a cat that does tho so ima get that. 

 

Appreciate the advice homie. Im still hovering around 78% for these practice exams so I have more work to do. 

 

 

 

If you already have the Sec + this place may not be to your speed but you could get a Job with us in a heart beat if you wanted to I bet. PM me if you are ever/still looking. They will have some positions coming open around October I understand. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Llevron said:

Any of yall have your Sec+ cert? And if so any tips on the exam/study? 

 

I got that a couple years ago with no background in cyber....it was hard as **** and I basically spent an entire week doing a 1000 question quiz over and over and over again that the bootcamp work paid for provided me. I barely passed. The test has changed since I took it, so I'm not sure anything I did would be helpful

Edited by Barry.Randolphe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im planning on getting my MCSA Server 2016 certification done by the end of this year and shortly after hoping to upgrade it to an MCSE and at some point next year to Server 2019 as well. Anyone have experience taking this certification and can tell me what to expect/how difficult it is? I work in a very large enterprise environment as an admin, will be taking a covered 1 week course for the first exam and then the last two exams for the MCSA I have a couple online courses I am taking on my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I turned on Ubuntu after unity, but it's one if the few that's done a decent job as a starting point for people that are tired of Windows.  This is another example of trying to be cool over functional that really bothers me with some of the more popular Linux desktop distros that are damn near targeted at Windows users.  They will never compete with Windows for marketshare they want to until they do something like get Microsoft to make a linux version of Office, but even Office still has 32bit versions.

Is there anything special about Microsoft Office other than the fact that it has market dominance?  I get along just fine with LibreOffice as long as I don't have to deal with someone's trash ultra-formatted Microsoft document.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

Is there anything special about Microsoft Office other than the fact that it has market dominance?  I get along just fine with LibreOffice as long as I don't have to deal with someone's trash ultra-formatted Microsoft document.

 

That's it, boom, I agree with you, but Office 365 is a superior product.  Unless the opensource suites can better match the formatting Office offers, or at least not turn my resume into gobbledygook, it'll be harder for the buy.  The installer comes with skype for business, that doesn't run on Linux, Microsoft doesn't even support it, if I have to Wine it.  Microsoft already trying to get in bed with Linux, why not at this point?

Edited by Renegade7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Renegade7 said:

 

That's it, boom, I agree with you, but Office 365 is a superior product.  Unless the opensource suites can better match the formatting Office offers, or at least not turn my resume into gobbledygook, it'll be harder for the buy.  The installer comes with skype for business, that doesn't run on Linux, Microsoft doesn't even support it, if I have to Wine it.  Microsoft already trying to get in bed with Linux, why not at this point?

Is Microsoft trying to get in bed with Linux, or are they following their historical Embrace, Extend, Extinguish campaign?  Hmm, Canonical has certainly gotten close to Microsoft lately...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

Is Microsoft trying to get in bed with Linux, or are they following their historical Embrace, Extend, Extinguish campaign?  Hmm, Canonical has certainly gotten close to Microsoft lately...

Fair question.

 

It's one way for Azure to try and bring something g to the table with AWS being as dominant as it is.  If Windows has a Linux kernel, which they heading towards, isn't it just another Linux distro with support? 

 

They can't really take over Linux if they are intentionally making stuff like .NET Framework opensource, can they? 

 

They are trying to survive, imo.  As soon as there was talk of future versions of SAMBA stepping in to be more like a windows domain controller, Microsoft made sure GNU and FOSS community doesn't make something that could compete with AD but not compatible with it. 

 

This is all about making sure if people want to use Linux, Microsoft can still be involved.  Again, why they should stop dicking around and put Office on Linux, at least for VDI and thin clients.  Maybe it will inevitably once they start putting the Linux kernel in future official releases of Windows, brave new world.

 

I won't be able to make that my host is, maybe a VM out of curiosity.

Edited by Renegade7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any feedback on IBM i2 Analyze?

 

Would you consider this a dinosaur and something that's near end of life or does it still have potential and it's not being used correctly?

 

If the cost to implement was about a 1/10 of the current cost would that be a game changer?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.