Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

Sitting here patching ESXi servers because I have nothing else to do while waiting for EMC support to "proactively" fix a controller on our XtremIO storage. Been going since 9PM Eastern and its worse off than when they started. Finance systems are shut down waiting for these guys to be done. Supposed to be a one hour job, and its been five. Another reason we left Dell/EMC for Pure Storage. So glad I start a new job in July and won't have to deal with this operational crap.

• 1 month later...

There are a lot of dumbass, gender biased assholes in the tech industry. It's bound to happen when so few women pursue these careers or are even interested. The lack of diversity has bred a very backwards thinking environment. That will change as the IT industry continues to grow and more demographics are interested in an industry that is basically immune to the ups and downs of the economy. 

• Like 2

At one time I represented the gay/lesbian community at my local area of the tech corporation. 

When I was downsized, I updated my resume with that item. I was in a final interview with a VP, and he wanted to know what the diversity committee was. I explained that we wanted to expand the the applicant pool beyond white men, to include qualified persons of color, women, gays/lesbians. Not advocating hiring to a quota, to expand the pool. Needless to say I didn't get that job.

This was about 22 years ago. Things haven't changed that much in the intervening years.

His next memo was probably going to be about persons of color. 

His memo and remarks about conservatives reveals his gender bias and how women should just stay home tending the home while the men run things. 

Edited by LadySkinsFan

The Register | Web-enabled vibrator class action put to bed

The case against sex toy maker We-Vibe, which agreed to pay out $3.75m for tracking owners' use, has finally been put to bed, with a judge yesterday signing off the settlement.

We-Vibe customers claimed the toy and its accompanying app, We-Connect, collected information on the date and time of use, the "vibration intensity level" and users' emails. The data was then sent back to Standard's servers in Canada, violating the Federal Wiretap Act and Illinois privacy law in the process, the suit claimed.

The humor of the situation aside, more court action to show that where your data travels matters as much as what the data is.

I have difficulty getting that through to people sometimes....

• Like 1

Stupid question ahead.

If I wanted to telework, using Citrix token..and I got a cheap laptop..what's the minimum needed to be worth while? Also, do I need Office products loaded on the laptop or does the Citrix logon take you to virtual versions of office?

Costco has a 15.6" HP Pavilion laptop that's been put on clearance for 399. Specs are:

7th Gen I5-7200U processor

1TB ATA HD

12 GB DDR4 SDRam

Touch display (SWA WLED backlit display 1366x768)

2.5gz processor speed

I won't be using it for gaming or photo  editing...so this should be more than sufficient, right?  The price seems right too?

Edit..the model # is 15-au123cl if that helps. Although I've been told that Costco sometimes has special model #'s on electronics from companies that don't relate outside of Costco.

Edited by The Evil Genius

11 hours ago, tshile said:

The Register | Web-enabled vibrator class action put to bed

The humor of the situation aside, more court action to show that where your data travels matters as much as what the data is.

I have difficulty getting that through to people sometimes....

$3.75 mil isn't nearly enough.

7 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Stupid question ahead.

If I wanted to telework, using Citrix token..and I got a cheap laptop..what's the minimum needed to be worth while? Also, do I need Office products loaded on the laptop or does the Citrix logon take you to virtual versions of office?

Costco has a 15.6" HP Pavilion laptop that's been put on clearance for 399. Specs are:

1TB ATA HD

12 GB DDR4 SDRam

2.5gz processor speed

I won't be using it for gaming or photo  editing...so this should be more than sufficient, right?  The price seems right too?

Edit..the model # is 15-au123cl if that helps. Although I've been told that Costco sometimes has special model #'s on electronics from companies that don't relate outside of Costco.

Can't help you with the microsoft office stuff, but that machine should more than suffice for your needs, I'd think.

• Like 2

@The Evil Genius

That laptop has a really low resolution. Make sure you're going to be ok working on that regularly before purchasing it.

Also, you said an ATA hard drive. Did you mean SATA? I hope so otherwise stay away... I don't think they sell ATA anymore, but wanted to double check.

You'll have to check with your IT dept on what is available via citrix. They should have published Office as well as any other apps you would need to do your job.

I would consider taking something with half the ram, and even an older processors, with a better resolution for working from home...

Just stay away from the Intel i3's. They're supposedly better now, but I wouldn't buy one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Stupid question ahead.

Specs are fine for what you are going to be doing. The Citrix will connect you to the office network. The question is are you going to be remoting into a terminal server after the connection has been established? If so then that server would have all the apps loaded for you to use. I would ask your IT guy on the setup. 

As for the resolution it should be fine as well. If you ever want to go bigger or better you can just get a nice 24" IPS monitor for about $99 and just use that as you primary display. Get a wireless keyboard and mouse and put your laptop to the side and enjoy working on a nice big screen. :)

• Like 1

Anonymous might be back:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/08/17/online-activists-anonymous-posts-what-it-says-are-private-contact-details-for-22-gop-congressmen/

There was an excellent article by Vice a while ago about the internal debate on how to react to Trump ripped the movement into peices.  Looks like they finally getting on same page again.  I'm torn, Trump is a dick, but what's to stop Anonymous from going after any president for any reason?  I'll say this, if they can't get the tax returns out, they're wasting our time.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2017 at 3:48 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Stupid question ahead.

1TB ATA HD

12 GB DDR4 SDRam

2.5gz processor speed

Also, I'd highly recommend an SSD. Spinning drives are a giant bottleneck right now for otherwise awesome machines.

I know you'll just be logging in virtually, but the SSD upgrade (you could do later if you wanted) would be more than worth it.

• Like 1

Whoops

ThreatPost | VENDOR EXPOSES BACKUP OF CHICAGO VOTER ROLL VIA AWS BUCKET

Voter registration data belonging to the entirety of Chicago’s electoral roll—1.8 million records—was found a week ago in an Amazon Web Services bucket configured for public access.

The data was a backup stored in AWS by Election Systems & Software (ES&S), a voting machine and election management systems vendor based in Omaha, Ne.

Amazon buckets are configured to be private by default and require some kind of authentication to access what’s stored in them. For some reason, ES&S misconfigured its bucket to public months ago, opening the possibility that others had accessed the data before UpGuard.

ES&S confirmed in a statement that the copy of the backup file, a .bak or Microsoft SQL backup file, contained 1.8 million names, addresses, dates of birth, partial Social Security numbers and in some cases, driver’s license and state identification numbers. Jon Hendren, director of strategy at UpGuard and the person who found the exposed data, said that the databases also included fields indicating whether a voter was active. About 1.5 million of the records belonged to active voters.

“The backup files on the AWS server did not include any ballot information or vote totals and were not in any way connected to Chicago’s voting or tabulation systems,” ES&S said in a statement. “These backup files had no impact on any voters’ registration records and had no impact on the results of any election."

Vickery added that ES&S websites do not have SSL enabled. A web-scanning and ranking service called CSTAR run by UpGuard determined the ES&S also falls short in that it does not have HSTS turned on, nor does it use HttpOnly cookies, secure cookies, DMARC or DNSSEC. It also displays the server information header.

Have fun explaining that.

-----

And in other news an unpatched vulnerability exists is "most modern cars" that gives access to deactivating breaks, air bags, etc

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2017/08/unfixable_autom.html

Yay computers

Edited by tshile

this is why MSPs get a bad rep

keep in mind i've taken over 5 clients in the last few months that used this MSP, but this one was the worst. Here's what i found:

old firewalls/switches so far out of date you have to hop through firmware versions to update them. numerous security patches missing

guest wireless with no password, with full access to the internal network

no ssl cert on their exchange server, users have been programmed to accept/ignore errors about SSL certs

everyone's password was something a generic word with 01 at the end. the same generic word for everyone. everyone had the same password

numerous users were domain admins

everyone was an admin on their computer

scanner/fax accounts, with the password the same as the username, were all domain admins

battery for raid cache was dead, server hosts SQL and exchange. monitoring software wasn't even installed. they had a dell 4 hour response warranty. no excuse

they had a datto backup device that, every time a snap shot fired off, the network ground to a halt. this was going on for years, never addressed.

and this company paid their previous MSP a lot of money for maintenance and monitoring.

they even paid an additional lump of money for a "Full security audit" a few months ago.

i'm || close to reporting this MSP to its partners.

wish I could convince their former customers to sue, i have soooooooooo much evidence to support a case.

12 hours ago, tshile said:

i'm || close to reporting this MSP to its partners.

wish I could convince their former customers to sue, i have soooooooooo much evidence to support a case.

Don't do it. Just let it go. I have seen worse. I just simply point out to the client what they had. They have me now and all is good and that matters more to me and having another monthly contract with more money in my pocket while I sleep (at night that is). :) 

• 3 weeks later...

worked from 8-5 with the normal grind.

worked from 7pm-still working, with a massive system upgrade from a ****ty vendor who develops ****ty products

that's my max. my brain no longer works. making dumb mistakes. getting old.

i should only have like 10 minutes left, but with this vendor who knows. i think i see the problem and can fix it. but brain definitely not working any longer.

10 hours ago, tshile said:

worked from 8-5 with the normal grind.

worked from 7pm-still working, with a massive system upgrade from a ****ty vendor who develops ****ty products

that's my max. my brain no longer works. making dumb mistakes. getting old.

i should only have like 10 minutes left, but with this vendor who knows. i think i see the problem and can fix it. but brain definitely not working any longer.

****, you pulled an overnight?  I hate those, had to deal with a backup server that did that to me once, glad it was a friday, but I basically lost the next day of my life, was mentally out of it, took me a while to turn my own computer on.

Who's the Vendor? It was DPM 2012 for me.

Edited by Renegade7

oh god get away from DPM. Seriously it's a waste of time. even when it works right it doesn't work right. it's a neat idea but so poorly executed... maybe it was just the people i was working with but i've seen so much time wasted trying to get that thing working...

yeah i worked until 1:30 am

was up at 6, took the kid to daycare, in again at 8.

then had an incredibly busy morning

the vendor is for a software platform for managing fleets of vehicles. not going to name them, just if you're looking for a system for that sort of thing PM me because I know one you should stay away from.

although, to be honest, the people who use the system have been very happy with the last 2 major versions. it's the backend side that's ****ed

21 minutes ago, tshile said:

oh god get away from DPM. Seriously it's a waste of time.

****, ain't gotta tell me twice.  Phasing it out as we move more VMs to the cloud, took at year or two after I got here to get all the errors and broken backups under control.  I prefer Veeam now, built the second server, love that its agentless.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

great

my week/next 30 days are probably going to suck even worse than i thought when i woke up this morning (and i thought they were going to suck...)

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/severe-flaw-in-wpa2-protocol-leaves-wi-fi-traffic-open-to-eavesdropping/

An air of unease set into the security circles on Sunday as they prepared for the disclosure of high-severity vulnerabilities in the Wi-Fi Protected Access II protocol that make it possible for attackers to eavesdrop Wi-Fi traffic passing between computers and access points.

The proof-of-concept exploit is called KRACK, short for Key Reinstallation Attacks. The research has been a closely guarded secret for weeks ahead of a coordinated disclosure that's scheduled for 8am Monday, East Coast time. An advisory the US CERT recently distributed to about 100 organizations described the research this way:

US-CERT has become aware of several key management vulnerabilities in the 4-way handshake of the Wi-Fi Protected Access II (WPA2) security protocol. The impact of exploiting these vulnerabilities includes decryption, packet replay, TCP connection hijacking, HTTP content injection, and others. Note that as protocol-level issues, most or all correct implementations of the standard will be affected. The CERT/CC and the reporting researcher KU Leuven, will be publicly disclosing these vulnerabilities on 16 October 2017.

Yay.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2017 at 12:20 PM, Renegade7 said:

****, ain't gotta tell me twice.  Phasing it out as we move more VMs to the cloud, took at year or two after I got here to get all the errors and broken backups under control.  I prefer Veeam now, built the second server, love that its agentless.

Take a look at Rubrik. We loved Veeam, but loved this even more. Hardware and Software in one box. Can scale so easy too. We left Veeam and expensive SAN/Data Domain storage behind and installed two brik's on-premise.

https://www.rubrik.com/

Came across this the other day. Taking a real hard look at our data centers.

https://www.grcooling.com/

Edited by Zguy28
  • Like 1