Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

I forgot, Chip is an Apple worshiper and Applephobe.  Don't criticize Olympus.

First, I am not here to defend Microsoft.  I curse them all the time at work:

1.  Have to wait until ever other iteration of released OS to get one that works.

2.  Requires constant care and maintenance

3.  Will blue screen (though this has improved with Win 7)

4.  Etc. (Don't feel like listing the many known issues)

I also have to fix Apple devices, from laptops to phones.  I have just as many problems with users of the iPhone as I do with users of android devices.  Trouble with syncing with an exchange server, issues with storage, to basic usage.  Apple products also break just like everything else.

Let me be clear, I am not saying the users that are tech savvy and such don't necessarily have issues, I am saying that basic users have trouble with their tech device (iphone, macbook, ipad) just like they do with their android device or windows laptop, etc.

Apple is a quality product.  I have no trouble buying Macbooks, iphones, etc for use at home or work.  Just come down from Olympus already.

And, as I have said before, Mac's don't play well at the work place, unless they are used in a stand alone environment or at some small business or something similar.  I get frustrated with Vendors that continuously tell me their software does not work on a Mac.

Agreed. Both operating systems have their strengths and weaknesses. Moving on!

I'm thinking about purchasing a SonicWall TZ 215 putting it on my home network behind the crappy modem/router Verizon has provided, then putting all of my network devices on this new network. This gives me more flexibility on how I'd like to configure the firewall. Has anyone else done this at home and what type of firewall did you use?

I'm thinking about purchasing a SonicWall TZ 215 putting it on my home network behind the crappy modem/router Verizon has provided, then putting all of my network devices on this new network. This gives me more flexibility on how I'd like to configure the firewall. Has anyone else done this at home and what type of firewall did you use?

Not at home, but have used many wireless TZ 105 and 205 models in businesses. What are you trying to do with it? SonicWalls are good, but not the easiest things to manually configure. The built in wizards are good. It's not real intuitive for a lot of stuff though. Pretty much everything is doable, sometimes in many different ways. It can be frustrating researching official documentation on how to do something, and it doesn't work. The answers are always out there, but sometimes the official documentation leaves a little to be desired.

For a simple home network, a SonicWall is probably overkill IMO, unless you just really like messing around with configuring firewalls. If anything, maybe save yourself some money and use the 205 or 105. What makes you want the 215? They're pricey. 

• Like 1

I forgot, Chip is an Apple worshiper and Applephobe.  Don't criticize Olympus.

Instead of calling me out, it might help if everyone discussed IT.  I am an IT guy.  When the first FIVE posts in the thread after the OP has an agenda, I chime in.  Plus calling me out in the first 6 posts.  Don't blame me.

Move on.  Get over it.

If you want to talk Windows, I would love to learn more about Windows 10.  I intend to load it on my Mac in a VM.  I see they brought back the start menu and it appears they got rid of the ridiculous Metro interface.  They also have ended Internet Explorer.  I still buy Windows boxes for my employees.  I am tired of having to downgrade everyone to Windows 7.  I finally got the hang of Windows 8.  Windows 10 it appears they are moving the search bar to the doc instead of the stupid move of dragging your mouse to the upper right corner.  I also felt Windows 8 tried to hide things from users like control panel/admin tools.  Hopefully Windows 10 allows users to quickly find the items they need be it through search or the start menu.

Agreed. Both operating systems have their strengths and weaknesses. Moving on!

Dabbled with a netgear security appliance once, and noticed that most wireless access points / home wireless routers have a different way of dealing with not being the primary way in and out the house (like turning off DHCP, and letting the firewall appliance do that and the NATing). You aren't planning on having anything public facing, are you?

Edit: Not pressed, but is there any plan to merge the IT threads, or will that become too confusing?

Edited by Renegade7

Not at home, but have used many wireless TZ 105 and 205 models in businesses. What are you trying to do with it? SonicWalls are good, but not the easiest things to manually configure. The built in wizards are good. It's not real intuitive for a lot of stuff though. Pretty much everything is doable, sometimes in many different ways. It can be frustrating researching official documentation on how to do something, and it doesn't work. The answers are always out there, but sometimes the official documentation leaves a little to be desired.

For a simple home network, a SonicWall is probably overkill IMO, unless you just really like messing around with configuring firewalls. If anything, maybe save yourself some money and use the 205 or 105. What makes you want the 215? They're pricey.

I'm used to using SonicWalls, when I was still a IT Administrator I configured and managed a NSA 2600 and multiple TZ series units for remote users. They aren't the most intuitive, but it's what I'm used to and tinkering with it would be fun. When you work on Cisco equipment all day, using Dell's equipment is easy.

Also, I'm not worried about the price because 215 I'm going to use is a decommisoned unit from work.

Dabbled with a netgear security appliance once, and noticed that most wireless access points / home wireless routers have a different way of dealing with not being the primary way in and out the house (like turning off DHCP, and letting the firewall appliance do that and the NATing). You aren't planning on having anything public facing, are you?

Edit: Not pressed, but is there any plan to merge the IT threads, or will that become too confusing?

I haven't begun yet, but my initial plan is to give the TZ 215 a static IP from the Verizon router, turn off DHCP on the Verizon box, configure the SonicWall. Nope, I don't need anything public facing outside of Verizon's box.

I intended on having all of these threads merged, maybe I need to contact one of the mods.

I'm used to using SonicWalls, when I was still a IT Administrator I configured and managed a NSA 2600 and multiple TZ series units for remote users. They aren't the most intuitive, but it's what I'm used to and tinkering with it would be fun. When you work on Cisco equipment all day, using Dell's equipment is easy.

Also, I'm not worried about the price because 215 I'm going to use is a decommisoned unit from work.

Ha. Well, there you go then. You can't beat free. My next point was going to be about licensing costs for the different features, but you're aware of that already then. I think I would use a free SonicWall at home and pay for the gateway security stuff with no hesitation, especially if there were more than one person to worry about getting malware on a semi-regular basis. They really do a great job of stopping a lot of that. If I ever upgrade my router, I would probably think about paying for one.

• Like 1

I talked to the mods about your efforts to create your little threads and then have us shuffle them around to your liking with your in-thread posts "calling" for it, apparently made like we'll pick up on your "needs" because we do hang on to your every post....and they said you can go **** yourselves.  :lol:

• Like 2

I absolutely hate that Verizon makes you use their equipment. I don't think I have the networking know how to use another router with the Verizon router.

That said, their newest router offers a 5 ghz band and (I think) wireless ab, which is nice. So it's not a complete piece of garbage.

Move on.  Get over it.

If you want to talk Windows, I would love to learn more about Windows 10. 

First, my memory is fading with the years, but didn't we "talk" apple in previous threads?  If I am wrong, I apologize.

History shows Windows 10 should work.  Comes out next week, and I have read the same thing about the changes.

Early comments are saying it is an upgraded Win 7 so have to wait and see how it looks.

-  Microsoft is promising they finally have universal apps that work on desktops, phones, laptops, etc.

-  I want to see if they really did bring back the start menu, however, to quote a review "The Start menu is very Windows 8-like in that it features Live Tiles for at-a-glance information in apps."

-  The new IE, Edge, supposedly, has finally jumped into this century.

-  File Explorer makeover (Been promised for years)

-  Task Manager has improved

-  They have redone the control panel supposedly to make it more logical and configurable.

And, of course, they say it is more stable than previous versions.  Will download and give it a try.  Will also get a clean copy and install at work.

Gonna get a new phone. Trying to decide between an LG G4 and Samsung S6.

Is there any way to determine which has the better GPS? I use mine all the time.

Also, do any of the external power packs/boosters have onboard storage? Like a mini-hard drive?

Is there any way to determine which has the better GPS? I use mine all the time.

Also, do any of the external power packs/boosters have onboard storage? Like a mini-hard drive?

Use WAZE for GPS.  It's the best navigation map out there for traffic. 

• Like 1

Negative. Google Maps incorporates Waze in to its time estimates. On top of that it gives you alternate routes as you drive.

Google maps hasn't fully implemented everything Waze offers into Google Maps yet.  Google Maps is a joke compared to Waze.  If you take one wrong turn, it will say "recalcuating" vs Waze that will continue to give you directions on the fly.  You do realize that Waze users like me inform Google Maps right on your time estimates lol.  It also tells me where cops are stationed, accidents up ahead and  where speed cameras are placed.

• Like 1

Google maps hasn't fully implemented everything Waze offers into Google Maps yet.  Google Maps is a joke compared to Waze.  If you take one wrong turn, it will say "recalcuating" vs Waze that will continue to give you directions on the fly.  You do realize that Waze users like me inform Google Maps right on your time estimates lol.  It also tells me where cops are stationed, accidents up ahead and  where speed cameras are placed.

With you.  Waze >>>> Google Maps.

I only wish my car allowed the app to be installed where the nav system is :)

I think both of those phones suck. You want an android phone? Get the Nexus 6 and you're welcome. :)

Waze is the truth. The time estimates are always on point for me, and I spend between 45-70 minutes in the car ONE WAY on my commute to work. If there is an accident on the beltway, or God forbid, I-66...Waze gives me the best possible route to my destination. 

With you.  Waze >>>> Google Maps.

I only wish my car allowed the app to be installed where the nav system is :)

I have a built in navigation system in my car and i hope there is someway i can use internet apps in my car.  my 2009 doesn't support it!