Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

There is Wondo hate here, but he has a nose for the net and is generally in the right position for great chances. Klinsmann understands this. With Wood out, the U.S. is thin up front. I think Wondo gets minutes.

Except when he has a sitter to win a WC match.

Guy had one amazing season in an inferior league, and continues to get life from it.

One of my problems with US soccer right now...young dynamic players not getting enough growth opportunities.

There is Wondo hate here, but he has a nose for the net and is generally in the right position for great chances. Klinsmann understands this. With Wood out, the U.S. is thin up front.  I think Wondo gets minutes.

I think he has to get time as well, but the Wondo hate is justified.

He hasn't shown he can do it against class competition, and Argentina have about 4 of the best players in the world.

• Like 1

Klinsi made a point of being public about not being/playing intimidated by the "big" countries. Wonder how much of that played into the performance last night. 

We should go out and do similarly against Argie. IF we sit back, we still prob lose anyway. Let's go at it against a big team in a big game on home soil.

Edited by Elessar78
  • Like 1

Except when he has a sitter to win a WC match.

Guy had one amazing season in an inferior league, and continues to get life from it.

One of my problems with US soccer right now...young dynamic players not getting enough growth opportunities.

I've heard that one before....

Jozy.jpeg

AZ Alkmaar - 67 appearances, 39 goals (Eriedivese - Netherlands)

Sunderland - 42 appearances, 1 goal  (Barclays Premier League - England)

Toronto FC - 28 appearances, 13 goals (MLS.......)

He's not the only one whose shown well in the Dutch league and flopped elsewhere...

Memphis Depay had 39 goals in 90 appearances for PSV and has 2 for United.  I think we pointed that out when he signed for the **** last year. :lol:

Wood has performed well in Germany against good competition, which is why he deserves time in the 11 to work out the kinks.  Wood is going to have some very valuable time with Hamburg this next season in Bundesliga.  The yellow was unfortunate last night.

We should go out and do similarly against Argie. IF we sit back, we still prob lose anyway. Let's go at it against a big team in a big game on home soil.

Might as well have a go.

Brooks is going to have his hands full with Aguero and Higuain.  I think he can do Higuain... but the fullbacks are going to have to help with Aguero.  I think Yedlin MAY come in handy there with his pace, but he'll have to have the game of his life if we're going to move on.

Also don't expect much from Gyasi with Zabaletta at LB.  Bradley vs Lavezzi... just a lot of match-ups that don't add up for us.

Edited by DC9

Same as always, young guys (Green, Zelalem) aren't maturing at a sufficient rate, top strikers (Altidore, Johannsson) are hurt. Wondo is clearly the best of what remains.  I would take old man Donovan over him, but sadly not an option.

Same as always, young guys (Green, Zelalem) aren't maturing at a sufficient rate, top strikers (Altidore, Johannsson) are hurt. Wondo is clearly the best of what remains.  I would take old man Donovan over him, but sadly not an option.

Sure, Wondo is a great choice, if we are playing St Vincents or Aruba.  Other than that, he is completely useless.

I'd rather move Zardes up front for Wood and put Nagbe or Pusilic in midfield.

• Like 2

Sure, Wondo is a great choice, if we are playing St Vincents or Aruba.  Other than that, he is completely useless.

YES!

Someone who can play a thru ball!

• Like 1

He's a really good training player. I've never seen anyone pickup cones with such effortless technique and power moving goals and sand bags. 

• Like 1

Perhaps you have seen some creativity out of Zardes that no one else has.  He is no striker.  Better to leave him in position and move the replacement to the front.  Perhaps Zusi, who played with a spark against CR.

• Like 1

I would be very surprised if the red is overturned.  Even with the evidence that no punch was landed, or for that matter intended, I just don't see FIFA overturning a call on the field.  For that matter, I think a good case can be made for the call as a good faith effort to regain control of a match that was rapidly getting dangerously out of control.  As a U.S. fan, I hate the call, but I can't say it was the wrong call.

I would be very surprised if the red is overturned.  Even with the evidence that no punch was landed, or for that matter intended, I just don't see FIFA overturning a call on the field.  For that matter, I think a good case can be made for the call as a good faith effort to regain control of a match that was rapidly getting dangerously out of control.  As a U.S. fan, I hate the call, but I can't say it was the wrong call.

The best possible scenario, IMHO, is that the suspension is limited to next game and he would be available for next match (Most likely 3rd place match).

Perhaps you have seen some creativity out of Zardes that no one else has.  He is no striker.  Better to leave him in position and move the replacement to the front.  Perhaps Zusi, who played with a spark against CR.

Not really, but his pace could cause some problems for the Argentina back line.  IMHO, this match will look very much like a 4-5-1 Mou special. At least Zardes can run a them.  Wondo couldn't do anything against them.

If there is an appeal process, then it's worth it to try.  Obviously it was a bad call, and reducing it to a yellow is a compromise that might save face for everyone.  US endured the real penalty already by playing with 10, when they should have had a man advantage.

• Like 1

If there is an appeal process, then it's worth it to try.  Obviously it was a bad call, and reducing it to a yellow is a compromise that might save face for everyone.  US endured the real penalty already by playing with 10, when they should have had a man advantage.

To me, the YC against Wood is the one that SHOULD be protested AND upheld.  The ref never should have allowed the play to start - in fact he pulled the ball back to the original foul for his restart, hence no 'real' foul by Wood and no YC.

• Like 1

Hate to tell you but the only other forward on the roster is Wondo....

I don't want Pulisic playing as a winger.  I know Dortmund will use him right... but Klinsmann seems to want to turn everyone into a winger man.  Keep him in the middle behind the striker.... FFS

I'm surprised you aren't thinking Dempsey as a false 9.

Dempsey

Zardes Nagbe (Pulisic) Zusi

Bradley Becks

and then you can rotate

Zardes

Nagbe(Pulisic) Dempsey Zusi

Bradley Becks

• Like 1

Zardes has pace and can create space for the midfielders.  He can also get in behind.  He's not the best finisher, but if he got a chance he'd be able to take it as well as anyone else.

But you have to have the type of midfielders that are going to play the right balls thru to Zardes... he's not a center forward and he's not going to hold up play.  He's going to run channels and get in behind the back four of Argentina.  Right now (as some of us talked about earlier in the tournament) the best midfielder to play thru balls is Pulisic.

Does he get any time on the field?  I doubt it.  My guess is we set up defensively and Klinsmann tries to steal this one at the end.  ALMOST worked against Belgium... who played a VERY young Divock Origi against us for most of the game (which I took as an insult) and then switched to Romalu Lukaku.  Tim Howard had to make some Herculean saves to keep us afloat and Wondo couldn't hit his one chance.

Argentina aren't bringing Origi (who I obviously like very much) and Lukaku... they're bringing Leo Messi, Gonzalo Higuain, and Sergio Aguero... 3 of the best goal scorers in the world...

I'm surprised you aren't thinking Dempsey as a false 9.

Dempsey

Zardes Nagbe (Pulisic) Zusi

Bradley Becks

and then you can rotate

Zardes

Nagbe(Pulisic) Dempsey Zusi

Bradley Becks

I would actually have Dempsey running behind Zardes as a 10 (or a false 9 as I don't want him sitting back and passing)

So the attack would look like your bottom there

Zusi - Bradley

Pulisic - Dempsey - Nagbe

Zardes

Zusi can cover the right side for when Yedlin comes up into the attack.  Dempsey runs off of Zardes into the space he makes.  Nagbe provides speed to get deep opposite of Yedlin's side.

But to be totally honest, if we have a chance in this one we're going to have to play for the counter-attack.  Dortmund make their living on the counter.  Pulisic is our best chance to find the pass.  Klinsmann just has to trust him.  He's creative and has pace.  Argentina is a team you play your fastest guys against.  Speed on the counter is our only chance of winning and even then it's going to take luck.

Edited by DC9

Dempsey has been an one man wrecking crew this tourney. Lost count how many times he has set up his teammates perfectly so they can then blow chances.

We haven't had that many chances to be honest.  At least not ones that mattered.

Dempsey is a beast and is playing like one, though.

Guzan

Yedlin — Cameron — Brooks — Johnson

Zusi — Bradley –Nagbe

Zardes — Dempsey — Pulisic

Wouldn't hate that and that's probably pretty close to what it will be, but we'll get destroyed if we use a 4-3-3 against Argentina.  That just leaves too much open space in the midfield and exposes a counter. 

Really need to sit someone between Bradley and the attack.  Ideally you put Pulisic behind Dempsey and Zardes and we can live with that.  Then Yedlin gets forward on the right and Nagbe can get forward on the left.

Altidore has had problems in the past with his club teams, sure. But his performance with the national team has been pretty good. He's still easily atleast our second best natural forward.

Wondo will probably get the call... And he's possibly the worst choice to replace anyone.

Zardes gets so much burn because he out works most guys regardless of his stone feet. The goal was a gimme, but u gotta be in the right spot at the right time to get that gimme.