Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Overall, well done (obviously, they won).  Dempsey continues to make his presence felt, Bradley continues to suck (his turnover almost resulted in a game tying goal at the end of the first half), Brooks continues his solid defensive play.

I don't think it matters who's out next game if they face Argentina, because they will be undermanned regardless.  I just don't want to see them get blown out.

Edit:  and can someone explain to me the point of subbing with just 2 minutes to go?  It would seem to me better to get fresh legs on earlier.

Edited by China

Overall, well done (obviously, they won).  Dempsey continues to make his presence felt, Bradley continues to suck (his turnover almost resulted in a game tying goal at the end of the first half), Brooks continues his solid defensive play.

I don't think it matters who's out next game if they face Argentina, because they will be undermanned regardless.  I just don't want to see them get blown out.

Edit:  and can someone explain to me the point of subbing with just 2 minutes to go?  It would seem to me better to get fresh legs on earlier.

Waste some time, get settled, game time for others, make opponent think about what to do...lot's of reasons to sub at the end.  

• Like 1

Bedoya is a better athlete and was already disqualified for the next game with his second yellow of the tournament. JK decided to run him into the ground and almost paid dearly for it. I would have brought in Zusi earlier

• Like 1

First Copa America semifinal since 1995?  Wow that's surprising.

Watched most of the game.  Great defense.  Felt like Ecuador was on the attack most of the game, but we held strong.  We definitely capitalized on our opportunities while Ecuador didn't.  And Clint Dempsey has to be the best US Soccer player ever.

Will be tuned in Tuesday!

against Argentina? Without Wood and Jones?

You're just being dramatic.  We'll find a way.

Still have no idea how cards don't re-set after the group stage, but whatevs....

So drubj ritht now we won yes ain't working tomorrow there day wejnd

You need a ride, ix?

Yeah, it's basically gamesmanship

Sometimes it's like a pitcher walking off the mound for the last time when a players had a good game, you sub him off to get an ovation.

But tonight it was about tick tock.  And Birnbaum is a baller of a center half.

Beckerman for Jones

Zusi for Bedoya

Pulisic for Wood

More importantly...Anybody but Wondo for Wood!!

Pulisic would have to play more centrally, imo.  But he'll find Dempsey if he can get by Zabaletta and friends.

Edited by DC9

I don't know who I think had the best game for us last night.  I think a good case can be made for Brooks or Wood, but it would be hard not to go with Dempsy after the goal and assist.  Still, the other 2 caused consistent problems for Ecuador all game long.

Outside of the cards, it was a great U.S. victory against a quality side.

Edited by gbear

I don't know who I think had the best game for us last night. I think a good case can be made for Brooks or Wood, but it would be hard not to go with Dempsy after the goal and assist. Still, the other 2 caused consistent problems for Ecuador all game long.

Outside of the cards, it was a great U.S. victory against a quality side.

Gotta be Dempsey MOTM, IMO. All he does is score or set up scores...all but one of the US goals this Copa through him.

Wood a close second, kept pressure on their back line all game opening things up for Clint.

Brooks played admirably again, but got caught ball watching some in the 2nd half and gave Valencia a clean header he should have buried.

Great work by the boys, very proud of the effort.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1

Gotta be Dempsey MOTM, IMO. All he does is score or set up scores...all but one of the US goals this Copa through him.

Wood a close second, kept pressure on their back line all game opening things up for Clint.

Brooks played admirably again, but got caught ball watching some in the 2nd half and gave Valencia a clean header he should have buried.

Wood is a superstar in the making.  He should have had another assist, but no one was on the right to put the ball in the empty net. He must watch his temper as he had another unnecessary yellow.  Very costly.

Not impressed at all with Zardes.  Yes, Yes, he had a goal last night (that probably would have gone in anyway), but he has flubbed or not shot in other important moments.  He is rarely in good position and I am not exactly sure what he does well.  An MLS player who would not get a whiff of the field if Altidore and Johannsson were healthy.

Beckerman for Jones

Zusi for Bedoya

Pulisic for Wood

Hate to tell you but the only other forward on the roster is Wondo....

160521-mnt-copa-roster-final.png?h=400&w

I don't want Pulisic playing as a winger.  I know Dortmund will use him right... but Klinsmann seems to want to turn everyone into a winger man.  Keep him in the middle behind the striker.... FFS

Beckerman for Jones

Zusi for Bedoya

Pulisic for Wood

I'm with you on the NO WONDO wagon.

Think I'd go Nagbe for Wood though. Cat's form is on right now, and think he can run the channels to help Dempsey. Pulisic is first on if they fall behind, for me.

• Like 1

Hate to tell you but the only other forward on the roster is Wondo....

There is Wondo hate here, but he has a nose for the net and is generally in the right position for great chances. Klinsmann understands this. With Wood out, the U.S. is thin up front.  I think Wondo gets minutes.