Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

how were we lethargic and uninspired?

They ran their asses off.  Just a lot of heavy touches and Colombia were better at getting the 50/50 balls.  And then Colombia were also better keeping the ball... which they did.  Again, we don't have the players.

I do agree that it's weird about the lack of goal scoring.

I fell asleep watching Brasil last night and it was 0-0.

Perhaps lethargic was the wrong word.  I'll stick by uninspired and add unprepared.  I know unprepared =/= lethargic, so let's scrap it.  But any time you concede in the first 10 minutes you are bound to be called unprepared.  Unless the other side is so much better than you that it doesn't matter...which I don't think Colombia is.

Colombia is an overrated side.  Good, but 3rd best in the world?!  No way in hell.  FIFA rankings in general don't really mean much.  Outside of about 3 or 4 teams, the top 30 in the world can all beat each other depending on which way the wind blows that particular day.  

Perhaps lethargic was the wrong word.  I'll stick by uninspired and add unprepared.  I know unprepared =/= lethargic, so let's scrap it.  But any time you concede in the first 10 minutes you are bound to be called unprepared.  Unless the other side is so much better than you that it doesn't matter...which I don't think Colombia is.

Colombia is an overrated side.  Good, but 3rd best in the world?!  No way in hell.  FIFA rankings in general don't really mean much.  Outside of about 3 or 4 teams, the top 30 in the world can all beat each other depending on which way the wind blows that particular day.  

Well, FIFA has some flawed ratings but they aren't far off.  Let's have a little fun with it.  Red teams are the Premier League and Blue teams are the Championship (which for those of you who don't watch a lot of European football, is a level down in the relegation pyramid).

1) Argentina

2) Belgium

3) Colombia - Spurs - Leverkusan - Atletico Madrid

4) Germany

5) Chile

6) Spain

7) Brasil

8) Portugal

9) Uruguay

10) Austria

11) England

12) Italy

13) Ecuador

14) Netherlands

15) Switzerland

16) Mexico

17) France

18) Turkey

19) Ukriane

20) Hungary

21) Bosnia

22) Romania

23) Costa Rica

24) Slovakia

25) Northern Ireland

26) Wales

27) Croatia

28) Poland

29) Russia

30) Czech Republic

31) USA - Preston Northend - Heidenheim -  Elche

32) Algeria

33) Ireland

34) Iceland

35) Sweden

36) Ivory Coast

37) Ghana

38) Denmark

39) Iran

40) Greece

So, to put this into perspective... you want to lose your mind because we (Preston Northend) just lost to Tot'num (Colombia)?

EDIT:  I threw the Bundesliga and La Liga ones in there too.  Cause I don't hate.

Again, I sense you're upset at Klinsmann (as am I and most of the US supporters) but I don't think you're going to get any help from people who watch the game all the time for losing to Colombia.  Especially when the overall effort from the players wasn't bad.  Good teams capitalize on chances against not-so-good teams.

Now, if we suck against Costa Rica, then you can pitch a hissy.  I'll be right there with you.

Edited by DC9
  • Like 2

I think we are confusing overmatched with unprepared. Columbia can play their C game against the US and win. The USNMT would have play an A+ game to beat Columbia. As far as motivation: If that crest on your chest and the Anthem they play before the game doesn't motivate you enough to give full effort, stand aside and let someone who cares play...

• Like 2

Now, if we suck against Costa Rica, then you can pitch a hissy.  I'll be right there with you.

Well, we already lost to Jamaica and Panama in a major tournament.  So i'm still huffing and puffing from those.  

I can also argue against pretty much every single ranking in FIFA world order.  Premier Rankings are different because the teams actually play over a full season.  The US really isn't the preston northend of the world.  At least not in my eyes.  However, Colombia being the Tottenham of the world is just about exactly where i'd peg them.  A historically mediocre team who currently has some good young pieces (although Colombia has some good history).  

Germany and Argentina would be Real and Barca to the tottenham of Colombia.  

Edited by SkinssRvA
  • Like 1

If this was a one-off performance, or even early in the new system being implemented, that would be one thing. It was neither. The team looked terrible. I keep hearing about how we have changed the system from a kick the ball to the corner and cross + set piece team to a ball control team, yet we still can not string more than 3 passes together through our midfield. That's indicative or both the coach and the players. Bradley is a common denominator. Bring him off the bench and have a midfield of Johnson-Jones-Beckerman-Zuzi. Bedoya is an overachiever who shouldnt be starting either. Those 4 can play defense, are scrappy, and have good success at crossing the ball.

I cant stand the excuse that we should be ok that our team came out and got spanked 6 years into the new system that was supposed to prevent us looking that bad. Hell, if that is the case, just go back to the kick-ball and McBride header offense.

Germany's recent form hasn't been that good.

Though they do seem to get it together for these tournaments, don't they?

Well, we already lost to Jamaica and Panama in a major tournament.  So i'm still huffing and puffing from those.  

I can also argue against pretty much every single ranking in FIFA world order.  Premier Rankings are different because the teams actually play over a full season.  The US really isn't the preston northend of the world.  At least not in my eyes.  However, Colombia being the Tottenham of the world is just about exactly where i'd peg them.  A historically mediocre team who currently has some good young pieces (although Colombia has some good history).  

I hate to tell you, but right now we are.

Big clubs are built around players from Colombia, Argentina, Germany, etc...

No one builds around US players.  In fact, a lot of them struggle to get on good teams.  Off the top of my head Pulisic is the only one who gets time at a big club and he's 17.  Dempsey used to get regular time with Fulham, but that was a while back.  Howard of course played for United and Everton.

But we're just not there any more.  We're Preston North End. 

EDIT:  I totally forgot that Fabian Johnson plays for Munchengladbach.  Don't watch a lot of Bundesliga.  Also Cameron still plays for Stoke, sort of.

Edited by DC9
  • Like 1

No one builds around US players.  In fact, a lot of them struggle to get on good teams.  Off the top of my head Pulisic is the only one who gets time at a big club and he's 17.  Dempsey used to get regular time with Fulham, but that was a while back.  Howard of course played for United and Everton.

EDIT:  I totally forgot that Fabian Johnson plays for Munchengladbach.  Don't watch a lot of Bundesliga.  Also Cameron still plays for Stoke, sort of.

Deandre!  Brooks!  

Edited by SkinssRvA
  • Like 1

MLS is killing the National Team in the short term.  Guys like Michael Bradley were getting time and more importantly work with top European sides.  But they were able to move home, be the superstar in MLS and make more money doing it.  Their skills and game suffered, but those guys care less about the Natl team then they do about club and personal success.

Now the longview might be different.  We are starting to see our younger players earning spots with European teams that otherwise probably would not have without their MLS exposure.  Yedlin ie.

But it's not a surprise that guys like Bradley, Diskerud and Dempsey are not playing as good as they were when they were playing and practicing in Europe.

• Like 3

MLS is killing the National Team in the short term.  Guys like Michael Bradley were getting time and more importantly work with top European sides.  But they were able to move home, be the superstar in MLS and make more money doing it.  Their skills and game suffered, but those guys care less about the Natl team then they do about club and personal success.

Now the longview might be different.  We are starting to see our younger players earning spots with European teams that otherwise probably would not have without their MLS exposure.  Yedlin ie.

But it's not a surprise that guys like Bradley, Diskerud and Dempsey are not playing as good as they were when they were playing and practicing in Europe.

They're also older, brother.  But Dempsey's best days are behind him as are Bradley's. 

But I think where we've failed with the USMNT is we haven't groomed players ourselves. 

Guys like Hamid, Kitchen... they should've gotten much more time in friendlies.  But we trotted out Bradley and Nick Rimando. 

We're very short-sited as a country with our soccer program.

And I don't think that's just Klinsmann, cause it was going on long before him.  Maybe Arenas was the last one who experimented.

• Like 2

Yedlin barely saw time for a team that got relegated.

I thought Brooks was our best player against Colombia.

wasn't being serious with those two, just having some fun.

We don't have the right athletes...USA has always been about bigger stronger faster.  Soccer is more about strategy, movement, agility, precision, etc.  Obviously there is a time and place for bigger stronger faster, but we just aren't grooming true soccer players.  When Pulisic and Nagbe came on it really ignited us, and in my eyes they earned playing time, perhaps even starting positions.  Bobby Wood doesn't do it for me.

I thought Deandre would have developed more by now, but he's still all speed and no technicality.  Disappointing, but he's still young.  

• Like 2

In my opinion, this is the 11 I'd go with for this tourney, assuming we had full health:

Hamid

Yedlin - Brooks - Birnbuam - Johnson

Kitchen - Nagbe

Gil - Pulisic - Zardes

Morris

Sure... they probably get shredded.  But they get experience.  At some point we need to zero out. 

It's not like the players we're holding onto have won anything.  I was hoping to see some of this.  If you want a youth movement you need to eventually play the youth and let them grow together.  I don't think it'll stunt them at all if they get bombed out of a tourney we're probably going to get bombed out of anyways. 

I actually love Jermaine Jones and I still like Dempsey, so you could have them off the bench, but start the youth for crying out loud.  

And for God's sake get Bradley away from this program.

• Like 2

Im surprised by the anti Bobby Wood brigade (on multiple boards).  The kid plays and scored regularly for Union Berlin, so much so that he got a 4 year deal to move up to Hamburg.  And when finally given time with the Natl team, scored almost immediately and has continued to score for the US.  He has 5 goals in 14 matches for us.

He is EXACTLY what we should be looking for and developing.

And I disagree about Yedlin.  His speed is still his number one benefit, but he's gotten better and better with his touch and game feel.

I'd love to see the Natl team make it known that if you are over 25 and don't play overseas, you're not getting called up.  Dempsey, Bradley, Altidore, et al are now just about cashing checks.  Their games aren't getting better in MLS, so why reward them with Natl Team call ups.

Give me Wood, Nagbe, Pulisic, F Johnson, Yedlin, Brooks etc.

Im baffled at why Wondo is on the team while Jordan Morris is with his club.

• Like 3

Im surprised by the anti Bobby Wood brigade (on multiple boards).  The kid plays and scored regularly for Union Berlin, so much so that he got a 4 year deal to move up to Hamburg.  And when finally given time with the Natl team, scored almost immediately and has continued to score for the US.  He has 5 goals in 14 matches for us.

He is EXACTLY what we should be looking for and developing.

And I disagree about Yedlin.  His speed is still his number one benefit, but he's gotten better and better with his touch and game feel.

I'd love to see the Natl team make it known that if you are over 25 and don't play overseas, you're not getting called up.  Dempsey, Bradley, Altidore, et al are now just about cashing checks.  Their games aren't getting better in MLS, so why reward them with Natl Team call ups.

Give me Wood, Nagbe, Pulisic, F Johnson, Yedlin, Brooks etc.

Yedlin is awful, we'll agree to disagree.  Teams also know how to set him up now because he got exposed in England.  His pace is fantastic.

I think the problem we have right now with the attack is that the build up play is poor.  The strikers could be making these great runs and unless the camera is zoomed out we won't know.  A lot of that starts with Bradley and some of that has to do with our style of play.

I think Klinsmann loved Jozy because at a minimum he was a target forward.  You could play the ball up to him and ideally (and against lesser opponents) he'd hold the ball up to you while the attacking mids caught up.

It's a TOTALLY different skillset for a dude like Wood and Morris who are channel runners and need to be fed the through ball while they are running into the channels.  Something Pulisic is actually REALLY good at.

Right now we're trying to play Wood like he's a center forward when he isn't.

You watch the USMNT play and you're like WTF more often than not.  And THAT is what is on Klinsmann.  Not one result where that didn't really have a chance to rear it's head cause we were outclassed.

I have to concur on the MLS trashing. Downgrading from Fulham/Roma/AZ to a league which can't even beat Liga MX in CCL is not good for USMNT.

The Mexican league at least plays a tidy and organized brand.

MLS is less organized the NASL in my opinion.  Just looks like poop.

Our best players need to play in Europe. Period. MLS is a complete joke.

Here's the problem... they have to WANT you to play in Europe.  You can't just go there and say "Hey I want to play football".

If you aren't identified at a young age (like Pulisic was) then it's difficult to get picked out for performing well in MLS. That league is looked at as a "retirement tour" for aging stars.  "Go get paid boatloads to be old and mediocre in front of dumb Americans."

Guys like Perry Kitchen (who if you can't tell, I REALLY like) are working as hard as they can to get to a top club.  He left DC United to move to Scotland.  Scotland is probably the 2nd worst top league in Europe, but if you perform well there someone is going to give you a chance.  I'm hoping he does well for Hearts and a bottom half Premier League team gives him a shot within a year.  He can boss a game if given the chance.

• Like 1

RT @GrantWahl US Soccer has been trolling Costa Rica fans all day with SnowClásico photos. Not sure CRC fans in a laughing mood. https://t.co/WhaRAKPDf8

A 1-0 win, in ridiculously lopsided conditions on home soil was not exactly a shining moment for the U.S.  Might want to let sleeping dogs lie.

Edited by TimmySmith
  • Like 1