Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

It doesnt matter if he plays less in league games.  Thats been the "reason" US players have abandoned top leagues for the last two decades and it's bull****.

They need to be in those leagues training daily with the best in the world, fighting for time and even if just means in throw away inter league events, it's far better than lounging in the US and sleep walking through another MLS season.

• Like 1

US Soccer showing Stevie Wonder vision once again. Stunning they would not even consider an internationally vetted premiere manager. Also had heard that Wenger had put out some feelers, and backed off. I think Wenger would be the perfect manager for these kids for the next 4 years, and a MAJOR coup.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

It doesnt matter if he plays less in league games.  Thats been the "reason" US players have abandoned top leagues for the last two decades and it's bull****.

They need to be in those leagues training daily with the best in the world, fighting for time and even if just means in throw away inter league events, it's far better than lounging in the US and sleep walking through another MLS season.

The perception from most is that he should be starting every game and playing and that may (or may not) be the case in the EPL. I remember Donovan spent a lot of time on the bench instead of actually seeing game action when he played in England. Seeing him start and score regularly would be HUGE for his profile and make him more well known. 

Another pathetic performance void of any vision or, quite frankly, ability.

The US is going to lose the majority of games over the next cycle 1 or 2- 0.  I dont see how anyone is going to score.

And it should surprise NOONE that USSOCCER is still dysfunctional.

Get ready for Berhalter.  SMMFDH.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just gonna bring up the U-20 US game here as it is this afternoon around 2:30 EST. 

https://news.yahoo.com/amid-us-soccers-senior-team-turmoil-recordsetting-tab-ramos-keeps-youth-levels-thriving-185831446.html

Development of the youth in US after all these years is very commendable. You hear a lot about how the US can't develop talent, yet guys like Ramos have been able to succeed and bring up the next young generation of USMNT players (Puli, McKennie, Sargent, Weah, et cetera)

• Like 2

In true, recent US soccer tradition, the U-20’s, in a must win game against inferior opposition, are getting thoroughly dominated by Qatar the first 25 minutes. Lucky they’re not down a goal or two. 

Color me unimpressed by Tab Ramos’ tactics. See what he drums up at halftime.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

US wins 1-0 on a moment of brilliance from the ONLY guy on this squad who looks talented enough to play for the senior squad, Tim Weah. Really did not deserve a win here, as Qatar squandered numerous good chances. Midfield is very poor, and defending not far behind. They will likely get thumped in their round of 16 match.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

They looked solid in the Nigerian game,  didn't see game 1 but yeah, yesterday was brutal.

They looked okay against Ukraine, just gave up two goals due to shoddy defending. One, their #9 got isolated on the RB, and just bullied him on a long ball. CB that side nowhere in sight. Second was a corner where guy got a clean header, no defender marking.

US carried possession, and made opportunity, just don’t have the creativity or goal scorers this squad. Probably different if Adams, McKennie, and Sargent were there.

• Like 1

Horrid display by the senior side tonight. Lose to Jamaica? Really? 

Shocking how how slow and technically bereft this group looked. Have a feeling this will be a short lived Gold Cup appearance. Pressure on Berhalter for results ramping up already.

• Like 1

I loved how the US announcers were talking about how the team was trying to win hearts and minds of US fans, and failing miserably as they were getting booed at the end of the game.  It is a disgrace how bad the USMNT sucks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, China said:

I loved how the US announcers were talking about how the team was trying to win hearts and minds of US fans, and failing miserably as they were getting booed at the end of the game.  It is a disgrace how bad the USMNT sucks.

I was very relieved to hear how loud the boos where. Let them know that we wont accept that kind of play.

I was very unhappy to hear Berhalters comments after the game, saying he doesnt think they should be booed after one bad display. Are you not aware of what has been going on here? This is not one bad display. In addition, he goes on to say expect more bad games, they are going to happen. Im sorry, that shouldnt be an expectation from the coach. You should expect the best performance out of the players and yourself every game, not setting the expectation that bad games are okay because they happen sometimes. Thats the wrong mentality to have. I swear if he plays Tyler Adams at RB again in the Gold Cup Im going to break something.

Im also sick and tired of the constant experimental lineups. How about we use these warms up games to try to put the guys on the field that will be in our starting 11 and get the familiarity going? We cant we seem to get a set starting 11, with some changes when someone gets beat out or isnt in camp, and let them build chemistry? Especially before a tournament?

Edited by MisterPinstripe
  • Like 2

Very much agree with the sentiments above. Only guys on the pitch last night that looked like they have a chance to be a part of the senior side were Sargent, Arriola, Carter-Vickers, and, possibly, Miazga. Where are Zardes, Nagbe, Yedlin, Morris and the like? And, will a US coach ever find/develop a LB? That kid Robinson looked completely in over his head. Couldn’t put a decent service into the box if his life were at stake.

TBF, the nucleus of the 2022 WC hopeful squad, Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, and Weah, were not on this side, I guess Berhalter is trying to develop some squad depth? Good luck with this group! Another head scratcher for me is Wil Trapp. I don’t know how he is always one of the first names on the sheet. Ive seen nothing from him that leads me to believe he will be a mainstay for the national team. But, he played for Berhalter for 5 seasons, so he’s his boy.

US soccer is so entrenched in old ways, the only hope for the USMNT is that the proliferation of European footy on TV in the US will lead more kids to going overseas for their development. MLS academies, and especially college, are thwarting the development of many US soccer playing kids. Maybe US Soccer will get their heads out of their asses, and change the 18 years old requirement for going overseas. If our brightest kids can get into top European academies at age 14-15, then the US might have a ghost of a chance on the world stage.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Very much agree with the sentiments above. Only guys on the pitch last night that looked like they have a chance to be a part of the senior side were Sargent, Arriola, Carter-Vickers, and, possibly, Miazga. Where are Zardes, Nagbe, Yedlin, Morris and the like? And, will a US coach ever find/develop a LB? That kid Robinson looked completely in over his head. Couldn’t put a decent service into the box if his life were at stake.

TBF, the nucleus of the 2022 WC hopeful squad, Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, and Weah, were not on this side, I guess Berhalter is trying to develop some squad depth? Good luck with this group! Another head scratcher for me is Wil Trapp. I don’t know how he is always one of the first names on the sheet. Ive seen nothing from him that leads me to believe he will be a mainstay for the national team. But, he played for Berhalter for 5 seasons, so he’s his boy.

US soccer is so entrenched in old ways, the only hope for the USMNT is that the proliferation of European footy on TV in the US will lead more kids to going overseas for their development. MLS academies, and especially college, are thwarting the development of many US soccer playing kids. Maybe US Soccer will get their heads out of their asses, and change the 18 years old requirement for going overseas. If our brightest kids can get into top European academies at age 14-15, then the US might have a ghost of a chance on the world stage.

Agreed. There are a number of players that have been called in multiple times that have confirmed that they are not near this level and yet we can expect them to keep being called in.

I had liked Robinson, but last night his service and touch in the final third was atrocious. Lets hope Gloster continues to develop over in Germany, he has looked good in the U20 World Cup. If he does we should have that locked down for a long time finally. Sargent was starved by the bad midfield that we put out last night. Be nice if the players called in and played had actually earned it vs knowing someone or having been around for awhile...

• Like 1