Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

There is no such thing as an easy 3-0 pool for the U.S.  If anything, other countries should think we make their pool easy as we haven't ever done much winning in the WC yet.  Yes, we made it to the next round a few times thanks to some flukes (Columbia own goal and Donovan's last minute miracle come to mind), but it took crazy for us to advance out of the first round.

• Like 1

Pot 4 draw screwed the USA a bit. Couldn’t get the NZ/ Costa Rica winner because CR is in CONCACAF, but no restrictions with Europe because they qualify so many teams. Really doesn’t make much sense. One way or another, two teams from the same confederation gets in the group, and Wales, Scotland, and Ukraine are all better than NZ or CR.

3 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I don't want to look too far ahead but Group A doesn't look very strong.  Bodes will if we can get out of group play.

Being half Dutch, I couldn’t be more happy with that group A draw. Used to be Dutch always got the group of death. Should win that group, and a possible round of 16 with USA. Gotta see if I can get a half orange, half Stars and Stripes shirt made!

14 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

All 3 group stage games at 2:00 pm ET. Great for viewing in the US.

I’ll have to be up early on opening day as Dutch face Senegal in the opening match of the tournament at 5:00 am.

Doesn't the host nation usually play the very first match?

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

DC United down 3-0 to Charlotte. 

Taking bets Rooney gets another DUI before end of the season...this team would drive me to drink, too...

79930-anderson-cooper-drinking-gif-f-1e831 (2).gif

I did quite a bit of that last night while watching that **** show live. Gonna take the dogs for a hike up Crowders Mtn to sweat this hangover out.

Think Rooney knew what he was getting into, and thinks he can turn it around quickly. We will see…

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So in the ongoing soap opera that is our national team, someone leaked information about Berhalter having a past domestic violence issue...

...and now Gio Reyna's mother admits to doing it, because she was mad about the references made to her son during the World Cup.  And his father was apparently also pitching a fit behind the scenes.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4844539/reynas-told-us-soccer-about-past-gregg-berhalter-domestic-violence-incident-sources

1 hour ago, Forehead said:

So in the ongoing soap opera that is our national team, someone leaked information about Berhalter having a past domestic violence issue...

...and now Gio Reyna's mother admits to doing it, because she was mad about the references made to her son during the World Cup.  And his father was apparently also pitching a fit behind the scenes.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4844539/reynas-told-us-soccer-about-past-gregg-berhalter-domestic-violence-incident-sources

This incident is over 30 years old, and Berhalter is married to her (25 years I think) and has, I believe, 4 children with her. This is OLD news.

That said, I think 2 G’s is too stained to remain as USMNT manager. It is my belief that there is plenty of talent in this squad, but Greggie isn’t the guy to take them to the heights they hope to get to. My biggest complaint with him is trying to fit pieces into his system, instead of fitting his system to his best pieces.

I think this is sour grapes from the Reynas, a family that is as close to Berhalter as anyone, but I think US Soccer can do much better than 2 G’s, and would not be sad to see him go.

I know the incident is old from reading the stories, I hadn't heard about it prior.

I imagine dealing with the Reyna's is like being a little league baseball or travel soccer coach, just on a significantly larger level.  

All I have to deal with is Northern Virginia Karen explaining to me why little Billy needs to pitch more.  At least she doesn't have a national platform to dredge up my past, she can only **** on the team email chain.

Edited by Forehead

4 hours ago, Long n Left said:

This incident is over 30 years old, and Berhalter is married to her (25 years I think) and has, I believe, 4 children with her. This is OLD news.

That said, I think 2 G’s is too stained to remain as USMNT manager. It is my belief that there is plenty of talent in this squad, but Greggie isn’t the guy to take them to the heights they hope to get to. My biggest complaint with him is trying to fit pieces into his system, instead of fitting his system to his best pieces.

I think this is sour grapes from the Reynas, a family that is as close to Berhalter as anyone, but I think US Soccer can do much better than 2 G’s, and would not be sad to see him go.

I forgot who said this on ESPN but one of the soccer analyses said that there is no way the USSF would resign Berhalter after this.