Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SB Nation: The price of supporting the troops is paid to the NFL

MattFancy

Wow, that's a real big sample size.  I work with a lot more than 6+ military.  I don't know if "civilian" life is any more tough than military life.  But if you say so.  :huh: I mean life is tough depending on what you do, be it military or "civilian".  Your sample size is laughable.

I wonder if you feel the same way about the Orioles nonsense song "Thank God i'm a country boy".  Same ****, different day, but politically not as significant.  :rolleyes:

This is laughable.

In Yankee stadium they "ASK' you stand and remove your hats for this non-anthem.

"Ask" means do it or we remove you.

When the Orioles play "Thank God I'm a Country Boy", you can do whatever you want. Just like when the Cubs play "Take Me Out To The Ball Game", or the Red Sox play "Sweet Caroline".. I don't care if they play "God Bless America" in Yankee stadium,, it's not the song that is the problem.

the Orioles are not treating their 7th inning stretch song like it's another National Anthem, and they are not demanding you pay reverence to it upon penalty of being tossed out of the stadium.

~Bang

This is laughable.

In Yankee stadium they "ASK' you stand and remove your hats for this non-anthem.

"Ask" means do it or we remove you.

When the Orioles play "Thank God I'm a Country Boy", you can do whatever you want. Just like when the Cubs play "Take Me Out To The Ball Game", or the Red Sox play "Sweet Caroline".. I don't care if they play "God Bless America" in Yankee stadium,, it's not the song that is the problem.

the Orioles are not treating their 7th inning stretch song like it's another National Anthem, and they are not demanding you pay reverence to it upon penalty of being tossed out of the stadium.

~Bang

The O's do "god bless america" as well. But i can't recall ever seeing anyone upset if someone wasn't standing. Frankly, I'm not down with the national anthem at sporting events typically either. i just don't see the point. At Orioles games, I'm ok with it. it was written a "stones throw" from the stadium. At a UCLA womens bball game...what's the point?

When did we have to start standing for God bless America ?

I need to make my own song about how it is mostly stolen land and nearly genocide, and then ask people to stand for it.

Kick you out for that ?

I've been to a few Yankees games, but I never noticed or acknowledged any rule for that song...then again it is not a song I notice to begin with.

Followed by the constant barrage of veteran thank yous at halftime, etc. feels cheap. If rather that money and time and effort be used for, I don't know health and mental care for veterans.

This reminds me of a time my family and another family we're friends with were at some kind of show a few years back.  Can't remember exactly what.  Small kind of thing with maybe 500-1000 people in the audience.  Anyway, the announcer gets on the PA right before it starts, and invites any vets to stand up and be recognized.  Several do and the crowd obliges with applause.  My friend's dad is a marine who was in Vietnam.  He did not stand.  Said the whole thing was bull**** and it was not for vets at all, it was for everyone else in the audience so they can feel good about themselves for "supporting the troops" in the least meaningful way possible.

totally agree with zoony.

the over nationalistic reverence for all things military is getting to be quite the reflection on us.

We're always at war.

Always.

Most of us respect the troops and are thankful for their sacrifices.

But if we wanted to save money,, here's a good place to start, i do not need expensive fly-overs for every single game to remember them.

I'm veering off topic here, but am I wrong to question the term "defending our country?" I haven't forgotten 9/11 but I'm not aware that any foreign troops have ever invaded our country.

Shouldn't the term be "defending our imperialist causes?" I feel like I should duck for cover after posting that but I honestly just don't get how our military (except maybe the Navy and Coast Guard) are really defending US soil at all.

I haven't forgotten 9/11 but I'm not aware that any foreign troops have ever invaded our country.

I honestly just don't get how our military (except maybe the Navy and Coast Guard) are really defending US soil at all.

Regardless of how you feel about the topic, we should all be thankful for that.

Archived