Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Conspiracy Thread

Reaper Skins

You have a link for that?

The only scheduling differencing between us and the others would be us playing the other last place teams which should in theory favor us

You got me Brave (no link - well, I didn't look for one).

But I distinctly remember reading the NFC East Blog to see how our schedule was rated.  And more than once, our degree of difficulty was the highest in The Division.  

You have a link for that?

The only scheduling differencing between us and the others would be us playing the other last place teams which should in theory favor us

You got me Brave (no link - well, I didn't look for one).

But I distinctly remember reading the NFC East Blog to see how our schedule was rated.  And more than once, our degree of difficulty was the highest in The Division.  

Actually, there are two differences:

1) as noted, we get to play the other last place teams in the conference, which favors us;

2) we don't get to play ourselves, and everyone else in the division get to play us twice.  For Dallas, that's a 16 game swing in their favor.

Random gripe, so I'll put it here.

Man, doesn't it seem like we get the toughest schedule in The Division every year?  Sure I'm looking at it with homer goggles, but when I see where our schedule is ranked on NFC East blog, we are like 4 or 5 spots higher than the next closest team.

Wassup with that?

According to SB nation we are tied for first with the giants for hardest schedule in the division, followed by the eagles, then the cowboys with the easiest.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/21/8459471/2015-nfl-schedule-strength-steelers-falcons

on top of that, we play more teams coming off extra days of rest than anyone in the league except Seahawks (Seattle has 5, we play 4 teams coming off extra rest, while Giants only have to play against one)

http://www.footballperspective.com/washington-seattle-carolina-tampa-bay-extra-rest-and-the-2015-nfl-schedule/

On top of THAT, 2 of the teams that get to play us after getting extra rest are within our division (Giants in week 3, eagles in week 16)

So yeah, even though the Giants technically have the same strength of schedule as us, our schedule is much harder than theirs based on the amount of fresh opponents we have to face, both inside and outside our division.

Edited by Reaper Skins

Random gripe, so I'll put it here.

Man, doesn't it seem like we get the toughest schedule in The Division every year?  Sure I'm looking at it with homer goggles, but when I see where our schedule is ranked on NFC East blog, we are like 4 or 5 spots higher than the next closest team.

Wassup with that?

You're overcalculating here.  If you compare the Redskins schedule to any division rival, they play each other twice, and 12 of the remaining 14 games are exactly the same opponents.  The remaining two games are based on where you finished in the previous year's standings.

So to compare the Redskins schedule to the Cowboys, 12 of the games are exactly the same opponents.  For the other 4, the Cowboys play the Packers, Seahawks, and the Redskins twice.  The Redskins play the Bears, Rams, and the Cowboys twice.  The only reason the Cowboys schedule appears easier is because they play the Redskins, whereas the Redskins have to play the Cowboys.

Mathematically what you're saying is true, but it doesn't make sense to make an argument that they always get an easier schedule because they always get to play us, whereas we have to play them.

Give every team two byes. Then the league can extend the season to 18 weeks (still 16 games) and make more TV money while players would get more rest. Win-win.

Remember when they tried two bye weeks about 20 years ago for a season or two? I can't remember specifically why they got rid of it, but it didnt go over as well. That's probably why they didn't go that route when they were arguing for an 28 game season. Maybe it'd be different now.

Remember when they tried two bye weeks about 20 years ago for a season or two? I can't remember specifically why they got rid of it, but it didnt go over as well. That's probably why they didn't go that route when they were arguing for an 28 game season. Maybe it'd be different now.

Q: What happened when they expanded to two bye weeks in 1993?

A: One word: disaster. CBS and NBC freaked out because their ratings plummeted thanks to a continually depleted Sunday slate; teams complained that they couldn't maintain momentum when they weren't playing enough games in a row; everyone hated losing the week off between the conference title games and the Super Bowl; and most importantly, fantasy owners couldn't figure out who to bench/waive/pick up since we didn't have the Internet yet.

(Follow-up to that point: This continues to amaze me. How did we do fantasy football without the Internet? I keep wanting to ask my friends, "How did you guys have a league back then?" then I remember that I was in their league, too. Looking back, I can only remember one thing: Our commish, Camp, mailing out stats after he added them up from the Monday/Tuesday USA Today, then me excitedly getting my mail on Thursdays to see if I won. Not my e-mail, my mail. Was this the 1990s or the 1890s? I can't remember.)

The real problem: With only 28 teams and a top-heavy league, that left eight or nine Sunday afternoon games per bye week … and only two or three of those games were good. We didn't have DirecTV's season package back then, or the Red Zone Channel, so if you were stuck with a crappy local game (or even worse, a crappy local team that wiped out the quality national game you could have been watching), your whole day was ruined. Trust me, my Patriots overachieved that season by going 5-11. (Double bye weeks) + (no DirecTV) X (crummy local team) = bitter. And that's why double bye weeks went the way of New Coke, "Cop Rock," Planet Hollywood, Rick Mirer and "The Pat Sajak Show."

Q: Was there a tipping point during that 1993 season when everyone threw their hands up and said "The double byes must go immediately"?

A: Actually, there was! How did you know? The NFC East and AFC West received byes in Week 8, which meant that four of the league's best eight teams (Dallas, Kansas City, the Giants and Raiders) were shelved, and also, CBS (who had NFC rights) lost local bumps in Dallas, Philly, Washington and New York. Of the eight Sunday afternoon games, our "marquee" AFC matchup was Buffalo (which finished 12-4) at the Jets (8-8); for the NFC, it was San Francisco (10-6) at Phoenix (7-9). A ratings calamity.

(Important note: Now that we have 32 teams, DirecTV and perpetual parity, the quality of those Sunday games wouldn't be nearly as problematic. I'd rather see them bring back double bye weeks then stretch the season to an 18-game orgy of concussions. But that's just me.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/byeweek

Edited by Reaper Skins

Don't know what the Redskins did to piss off the football gods but there was way to much bad luck and karma last night to not catalogue it.  Figured I'd stick it here rather than in the serious threads;

Our Best Tight End on the field:

Team Leader, Special Teams Ace, Niles Paul breaks ankle immediately after being named Starting Tight End, out for Season

http://deadspin.com/niles-paul-carted-off-with-gruesome-ankle-injury-1724009749

(next player up at TE also had to leave with an injury as well)

INJURY UPDATE: TE Je'Ron Hamm (left thigh) OUT for the remainder of the game.

Our Best QB on the field to our best WR on the field:

Pierre Garcon drops wide open pass, kills momentum, gives reporters and fans the excuse they need to bring up everything RG3 has ever struggled with and stir the QB competition pot

http://streamable.com/cebd

Our Best CB on the field:

Culliver called for questionable defensive PI that sets up Browns opening drive TD

michael phillips ‏@michaelpRTD 3m3 minutes ago

Chris Culliver said after the game he thought he got a "preseason" pass interference call. I agree.

Our best rookie performer:

RB Matt Jones evaluated for possible concussion symptoms

#SkinsCamp @Redskins
INJURY UPDATE: #Redskins RB Matt Jones being evaluated for concussion.
(dodged a bullet on this one)(Silas Redd also injured his knee)

Props to Andre Roberts for not letting his ST fumble hang over his head all game.  He battled back and made alot of great catches afterwards.  Ended up being the best performance by a wide reciever for the night.
Edited by Reaper Skins

Keep seeing it mentioned in different threads so I figured I'd add it here, even though its technically a legal move, The Colts were definitely acting a little cheap when they claimed Tevin Mitchell, basically stealing a draft pick from us...

http://kcmsports.com/blog/2015/08/06/colts-claim-injured-redskins-draft-pick-tevin-mitchel-off-waivers/

Edited by Reaper Skins

• 2 weeks later...

Karma tells the Redskins to sit the **** back down. Every time we get a promising player they get struck by lightning

Best cornerback- injured in training camp

Best WR - injured in training camp

Best tight end - injured in first preseason game

Best QB- injured and ineffective in 2ND preseason game

Best special teams performer- injured in 2nd preseason game

Best defensive acquisition- injured in training camp

Every bit of momentum we start to develop has been karmically shattered by the football gods. Something is very very wrong.

I'm legitimately scared to root for Alfred Morris, Matt Jones and Kirk Cousins

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 1

The original point of this thread was to call attention to when the Redskins were being treated unfairly either on the field or off.  With that being said, I feel like I should just make a point regarding how this whole RG3 situation has played itself out with the media.  NFL "insiders" have been bending over backwards to show the Redskins organization as bungling and inept.  People are flat out creating whatever juicy buzzwords cast our front office in the worst light in order to drum up ratings and paint us as the proverbial "whipping boy" of the NFL without even pretending to wait for official press releases.  Troy Aikman telling NFL viewers that the Redskins are more dysfunctional than the Kardashians.  However this whole saga with RG3 turns out, the media decided on the headline a long time ago and its "Point and Laugh - The Redskins Find a Way to Mess it Up Again"

From the league sanctioned "independant" neurologist who pulled the rug out from under us a day before the Ravens game, to our own supposed "hometown" media who desperatley keep trying to find a word to twist and paint our coach as a bumbling idiot. 

Watch Gruden himself call out the media and tell them "I know you all like to try and paint this picture of us being incompetant, but that's not the case".  He also says that the report on RG3's concussion was confusing to him as well, and that as far as all thse "inside sources", its up to him to decide the starting quarterback and he doesn't understand why the report of Cousins starting week one is already being treated as fact.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/WATCH-LIVE-Jay-Gruden-Talks-Ravens-Game/20ef94f0-fa9e-4dea-a466-38a69792e14f

This is not an organization that gets a fair break in the public eye, and despite the fact that we are 3-0 in the preseason, with a vastly improved depth chart that has been kicking the snot out of our competition from day one of training camp, we continue to be mentioned only as a punch line.  It's getting old, and its getting innacurate.  

People say we need a culture change around Redskins Park.  NEWSFLASH - The culture change is already happening, the rest of the league is just to stupid and slow to notice it.  This franchise has done nothing but make smart decisions all offseason and has quietly turned into one of the most improved rosters in the league.  Here's hoping they keep laughing all the way to gameday so we can punch them in the mouth while they wonder what the hell just happened.

Edited by Reaper Skins

I really don't like how the fact that the balls were under-inflated is an inarguable fact.  We KNOW there was a violation of the rules already.   But he's already backtracking and acting like there isn't enough evidence to implement a penalty.  last time I checked ignorance isn't an excuse for rule violations.  If violating the "spirit of competitive fairness through the cap" was enough to get us 36 million dollars in penalties, despite no actual violations, then I find it extremely hypocritical to not hand out any penalty for an ACTUAL violation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/04/sports/football/judge-overturns-tom-bradys-suspension-deflategate-patriots.html?_r=0

No penalty for Tom Brady, no penalty for Bill Belichick.  Dropped onto the media one week before the season starts.

Spirit of competitive fairness.  barfing.gif

Edited by Reaper Skins

So the Redskins draft their most explosive player in decades and because of injury concerns, the team has a tough choice to make of whether he is worth the 16 million dollar contract he will receive the next year. In what was called "the most important game of RG3's career" an independent neurologist is brought in to see whether he can play. After being initially cleared, the day before the game the decision is reversed and RG3 is not allowed on the field to play, forcing the Redskins to move forward and name his backup the starter. Not only did this last minute switch make it impossible for the Redskins to prepare for the season as they did all summer and get a legitimate dress rehersal for the season, it also prevented them from being able to showcase RG3's skills to other team's if they were already considering moving on from him. It basically killed any possible trade value for RG3 and assured that the franchise would get little to no compensation on their investment for RG3. Less than a week after the decision was made, the "independent" neurologist has retired and refused to work with the NFL again.

Was this a ploy by the NFL to assure that team relations with RG3 were shattered once and for all? By forcing them to go in a different direction, did they not only sour RG3'S relationship with the Redskins forever, and also gurantee that they would get no value by trying to trade them?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000517347/article/rgiii-not-cleared-to-play-after-neurologist-revisits-data

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/05/report-independent-neurologist-resigns-after-rg3-fiasco/

Edited by Reaper Skins

Conspiracy Theories.. gotta love 'em.. haha

Here's one I just thought of in regards to what appears to be a lengthy delay in having Robert get past his concussion protocol test.

The team is intentionally delaying the meeting between Robert and the independent neurologist so that when they do trade him, his new team won't have to guarantee his contract since he won't be on their roster for week 1...  

Not too bad of a conspiracy, no?   :D

• Like 1