Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread


Recommended Posts

Well, seems to be over, here in Gainesville. 

I slept for most of the day.  The few times I went out, we had low, rapidly moving, continuous cloud cover, all day.  But really very little rain.  (The creeks don;t have much water in them.)  And not much wind at ground level.  (The area is heavily covered with trees.  I have a theory that the trees block a lot of ground-level winds, but that there's still winds, a short distance up.) 

Only damage to me, personally, was a large tree branch fell down in the driveway.  (I've chain sawed it up enough to clear the driveway.  but I didn't even have to do that.  If I had to get out, I could have just driven across the "lawn".) 

Didn't even lose power.  Not even for a minute.  (Which rather surprised me.  We've been losing power occasionally, for the last several months, without any hurricane.) 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.goodsamaritanofhaiti.com/

Haiti is beyond destroyed. The numbers close to 900 deaths is a low estimate. The pics I'm seeing are insane. Mandy Thody who runs this charity sailed in before the storm was lucky. Her boat was spared and they're able to sail it for supplies, because the peninsula that was hardest hit is mostly cut off.

Western Union is waving all fees and using their own money to front the charity, so there's no delay in getting funds to them.

This is the best way to quickly get food and medicine to the people of Haiti. 100% goes to them the second you donate.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

http://www.goodsamaritanofhaiti.com/

Haiti is beyond destroyed. The numbers close to 900 deaths is a low estimate. The pics I'm seeing are insane. Mandy Thody who runs this charity sailed in before the storm was lucky. Her boat was spared and they're able to sail it for supplies, because the peninsula that was hardest hit is mostly cut off.

Western Union is waving all fees and using their own money to front the charity, so there's no delay in getting funds to them.

This is the best way to quickly get food and medicine to the people of Haiti. 100% goes to them the second you donate.

 

Done.  Thanks for the link!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

 

Done.  Thanks for the link!

Share the link as much as possible and thank you. I keep seeing people posting about how the red Cross screwed Haiti after the earthquake and fear nobody will help them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Man, that death toll is friggin' shocking.  Being there in that storm had to be hell on Earth.  A literal nightmare you'd have.  So so sad.  Holy ****.  All the loved ones lost.  Sickens me.

And I'm sure it's not even close to accurate. I wish I knew how to post the pics my friend shared. That lower peninsula is destroyed and the literally have nothing to use to rebuild it, because it's all stolen from the DR.

2 of the world's worst natural disasters in one of the world's poorest countries and the bulk of the island wants to ethnically cleanse you from the earth.

Haiti is hell and its not their fault 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

And I'm sure it's not even close to accurate. I wish I knew how to post the pics my friend shared. That lower peninsula is destroyed and the literally have nothing to use to rebuild it, because it's all stolen from the DR.

2 of the world's worst natural disasters in one of the world's poorest countries and the bulk of the island wants to ethnically cleanse you from the earth.

Haiti is hell and its not their fault 

 

I don't know how much this is done already, but it would be a really good idea for extensive humanitarian efforts to be done in between natural disasters, and not just immediately thereafter, to better prepare them for those disasters. For example, charitable groups to build really strong shelters, as well as donate home-building supplies that are stronger than the straw shacks many of them live in, or whatever they're made of. Do that, and I'm guessing a lot less aid would be needed in the disaster aftermaths.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

 

I don't know how much this is done already, but it would be a really good idea for extensive humanitarian efforts to be done in between natural disasters, and not just immediately thereafter, to better prepare them for those disasters. For example, charitable groups to build really strong shelters, as well as donate home-building supplies that are stronger than the straw shacks many of them live in, or whatever they're made of. Do that, and I'm guessing a lot less aid would be needed in the disaster aftermaths.

I don't disagree at all. I think every single person on the planet should have medicine, food, water, shelter and education before another bomb is dropped, shopping mall built, etc.

Nobody really gives a **** so there's no money.

My friends charity I keep pushing, goes and builds stone schools and teaches. She just saved hundreds of people with her preemptive efforts.

21,000 kids die every day around the world due to poverty. Until hell rains down on them from nature, nobody cares.

Dirt is an ingredient in their food. They can't just throw an infrastructure together.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a short documentary or 60 minutes piece on dirt cookies being eaten in a super poor country.  That was unbelievable.  How ****ed up, man.  I agree, KB.  Produce a couple less tanks and send some food to them peoples. Damn!

 

Right now, Hurricane Matthew is producing record breaking flooding in eastern NC.  Dangerous situation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=364146503923510&id=100009844897166

This video is nuts. I think it's old tsunami footage, but damn.

Update from Haiti.

 

Update from Mandy early this morning:

She now has limited communications through facebook messenger on her phone, however I will encourage everyone not to clog up her communications as she's still needing to conserve battery and has much to do.

The island is starting to dry out, so they are able to walk around again and are resuming the swim clinic (the reason for this particular trip to Haiti).

The school roof is fixed, and they hope to put the solar panels back up today, after which there should be better communications.

They have food for now, but due to the destruction of crops Ile A Vache will be facing famine over the coming months. The donations received will be put to use as needed.

The bees, installed on the island during Mandy's last trip with Toni Downs, survived the storm!

No word yet on whether her trip will be extended.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Right now, Hurricane Matthew is producing record breaking flooding in eastern NC.  Dangerous situation.

Not to bring politics into a heartbreaking situation, but they DID vote to use their disaster relief funds to defend their bathroom bill. 

Not that Pat McCrory (as a former Duke Energy exec) cared about his constituents' toxic water, either. 

You get what you vote for.  Enter the Fed to help...and then they'll complain about THAT. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Not to bring politics into a heartbreaking situation, but they DID vote to use their disaster relief funds to defend their bathroom bill. 

Not that Pat McCrory (as a former Duke Energy exec) cared about his constituents' toxic water, either. 

You get what you vote for.  Enter the Fed to help...and then they'll complain about THAT. 

 

But, Bruce Springsteen cancelling a concert in Raleigh is a big big deal.

#moronseverywhere

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...