d0ublestr0ker0ll

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Is that what the song is about ? You never can tell, with Adam Duritz...

"I can't go outside, I'm scared, I might not make it home
But I'm alive, but I'm sinking in
If there's anyone home at your place
Why don't you invite me in?

She's been dying
And I've been drinking and I am the rain king "

Those lyrics seemed appropriate for this thread and for twa. And for Joel Osteen.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, twa said:

stores and such reopening here but need restocked.

wife said Kroger had a bunch of bare shelves

My HEB had a pretty full dairy section this morning. And plenty of chicken. Beef and pork were absent.

The instore bakery was sort of operating.

All I wanted was milk.

The two Kroger near me both appear to be closed still.

Sprouts had limited operating hours.

10 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Remember that last post of visionary's when you need furniture.  What an awesome guy.

That dude is a huge local celebrity/bull**** artist. I think he's a good guy. He seems to be a good guy. But he's also clearly out of that carnival barker/Crazy Eddie mold. His commercials are insane.

He does deals like "if you buy a living room in January and the Texans win the Super Bowl," we will refund your entire payment.

He also made a big deal about trying to buy the Rockets even though Predicto probably has more money.

He also runs radio commercials were he just talks about how awesome America is for 30 seconds. Since everyone knows his voice, he doesn't really need to identify himself.

Wife wasn't willing to drive all the way to HEB, deliveries will start to pick back up....mainly there for meds

never heard of Sprouts

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If the GFS is right, Irma could be a 200mph Cat 5 and smash into the Chesapeake bay.

Waaaayyyy too far out to start looking at where it's going to make landfall. But it will be a major hurricane, probably reach Cat 5, and will most likely impact *someone* in the Caribbean and/or United States. Definitely something to keep an eye on as it develops over the next week or so. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Waaaayyyy too far out to start looking at where it's going to make landfall. But it will be a major hurricane, probably reach Cat 5, and will most likely impact *someone* in the Caribbean and/or United States. Definitely something to keep an eye on as it develops over the next week or so. 

I seriously doubt anyone in this thread has watched more weather related news than me in this thread and that would include any meteorologists. 

Did you see my post above with "this is where my house is"?

This is terrifying.

50 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I seriously doubt anyone in this thread has watched more weather related news than me in this thread and that would include any meteorologists. 

Did you see my post above with "this is where my house is"?

This is terrifying.

Yep, saw that. Got a bad feeling about this storm, and the rest of this hurricane season in general. We're way overdue for bad ones making landfall in the US. 

59 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Yep, saw that. Got a bad feeling about this storm, and the rest of this hurricane season in general. We're way overdue for bad ones making landfall in the US. 

Yeah. I'm really hoping that the Euro is wrong and it goes north. We'll be absolutely ****ed if it drills us. The worst part is what might be Jose by tomorrow looks like even more of a sure thing. There's no sahara dust to bust the storms up either. I'm pretty nervous right now.

• Thanks 1

So @Koolblue13, you've been through this several times I imagine, and if I remember correctly.  Perhaps this storm's early development has surpassed most (if not all) of the storms of the past...

My question is, how do you prepare for this?  What steps do you take?  How have you survived before?

7 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

So @Koolblue13, you've been through this several times I imagine, and if I remember correctly.  Perhaps this storm's early development has surpassed most (if not all) of the storms of the past...

My question is, how do you prepare for this?  What steps do you take?  How have you survived before?

This will be my first major hurricane if it hits us. I moved into a new place recently and it's not really designed for all the dog stuff I do, so I'm still trying to figure that out, but I'm getting my Gennie serviced today, close my cistern off, shut the shutters and make sure that if the roof blows off everyone is safely in the safest room.

I've been learning a heck of a lot. Should know by tonight if it's going to be really bad or not. Can't really do evacuations.

Scariest part really is afterwards. There are a lot of guns on this rock, so going to a store will be dangerous and I doubt anyone is coming to help us very quickly with Harvey happening.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Reading that thread was scary. 

East coast, get ready. :(

Screenshot_20170901-074738.thumb.png.e063ce2dc15387666219c6a958a3ba5f.png

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Can't really do evacuations.

Why is that?

(Please pardon my ignorance)

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Why is that?

(Please pardon my ignorance)

No worries. 

Where do we go? Most flights are booked and the airlines might be down in another couple days. 

We don't have any passenger ships going to PR. I'm sure some of the larger fishing boats could go, but it'll start really turning out there soon and the time it would take to get to PR and get your boat out, wouldn't make sense.

I assume there's shelters here.

I guess I assumed there would be a way. They'd bring in more planes, or ships, or something.

I thought we would be far enough out.

For anyone thinking about Irma right now after that GFS run last night ... check out Dave Tolleris (WXRisk) post on it last night. I think the Euro may have supported that crazy GFS run but DT is fairly confident that the models are way off in the direction of the storm. There's apparently not enough to support a Cat 5 re: water temps and especially one that heads inland at NC/VA. It would be the greatest landfall of any storm since 1600 on the east coast and it's just not the type of storm that happens.

It could gain Cat 5 in the open Atlantic but I think it would swerve off the coast and not make a direct landfall. I'll be on OBX from Sept 18-25 so maybe this is me being overly optimistic, but DT is pretty good at what he does and he scoffed at that model run last night.

11 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

If the GFS is right, Irma could be a 200mph Cat 5 and smash into the Chesapeake bay.

See what I just posted. I'll see if I can link to DTs post from overnight on it. But this is almost an impossible scenario.

11 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

See what I just posted. I'll see if I can link to DTs post from overnight on it. But this is almost an impossible scenario.

I read his post on facebook.

Basically, there's a reason we've never seen a storm the 0z run shows hit nc/va, and it's the same reason that run isn't going to happen.

The storm is otherwise still freakishly strong and could devastate other areas and it's still too early to know.