d0ublestr0ker0ll

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Florida-Georgia Line is gawdawful.

Don't think I've ever heard a song of theirs, but figured they were terrible because they play country music.

• Like 2

Well, seems to be over, here in Gainesville. 

I slept for most of the day.  The few times I went out, we had low, rapidly moving, continuous cloud cover, all day.  But really very little rain.  (The creeks don;t have much water in them.)  And not much wind at ground level.  (The area is heavily covered with trees.  I have a theory that the trees block a lot of ground-level winds, but that there's still winds, a short distance up.) 

Only damage to me, personally, was a large tree branch fell down in the driveway.  (I've chain sawed it up enough to clear the driveway.  but I didn't even have to do that.  If I had to get out, I could have just driven across the "lawn".) 

Didn't even lose power.  Not even for a minute.  (Which rather surprised me.  We've been losing power occasionally, for the last several months, without any hurricane.) 

http://www.goodsamaritanofhaiti.com/

Haiti is beyond destroyed. The numbers close to 900 deaths is a low estimate. The pics I'm seeing are insane. Mandy Thody who runs this charity sailed in before the storm was lucky. Her boat was spared and they're able to sail it for supplies, because the peninsula that was hardest hit is mostly cut off.

Western Union is waving all fees and using their own money to front the charity, so there's no delay in getting funds to them.

This is the best way to quickly get food and medicine to the people of Haiti. 100% goes to them the second you donate.

• Like 3

SC catching sustained winds of (edit) 85 mph along the eye wall.  Significant tapering , and will finally shoot off the coast soon.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

http://www.goodsamaritanofhaiti.com/

Haiti is beyond destroyed. The numbers close to 900 deaths is a low estimate. The pics I'm seeing are insane. Mandy Thody who runs this charity sailed in before the storm was lucky. Her boat was spared and they're able to sail it for supplies, because the peninsula that was hardest hit is mostly cut off.

Western Union is waving all fees and using their own money to front the charity, so there's no delay in getting funds to them.

This is the best way to quickly get food and medicine to the people of Haiti. 100% goes to them the second you donate.

Done.  Thanks for the link!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Done.  Thanks for the link!

Share the link as much as possible and thank you. I keep seeing people posting about how the red Cross screwed Haiti after the earthquake and fear nobody will help them.

• Like 1

Man, that death toll is friggin' shocking.  Being there in that storm had to be hell on Earth.  A literal nightmare you'd have.  So so sad.  Holy ****.  All the loved ones lost.  Sickens me.

2 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Man, that death toll is friggin' shocking.  Being there in that storm had to be hell on Earth.  A literal nightmare you'd have.  So so sad.  Holy ****.  All the loved ones lost.  Sickens me.

And I'm sure it's not even close to accurate. I wish I knew how to post the pics my friend shared. That lower peninsula is destroyed and the literally have nothing to use to rebuild it, because it's all stolen from the DR.

2 of the world's worst natural disasters in one of the world's poorest countries and the bulk of the island wants to ethnically cleanse you from the earth.

Haiti is hell and its not their fault 

Man, that's some third world **** right off our doorstep.

14494853_1179309728801172_99733941321400

Still dumping a lot of rain so watch out for flash floods in the Carolinas over the next 20 or so hours.  Some areas could total 20 inches of rain.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

And I'm sure it's not even close to accurate. I wish I knew how to post the pics my friend shared. That lower peninsula is destroyed and the literally have nothing to use to rebuild it, because it's all stolen from the DR.

2 of the world's worst natural disasters in one of the world's poorest countries and the bulk of the island wants to ethnically cleanse you from the earth.

Haiti is hell and its not their fault 

I don't know how much this is done already, but it would be a really good idea for extensive humanitarian efforts to be done in between natural disasters, and not just immediately thereafter, to better prepare them for those disasters. For example, charitable groups to build really strong shelters, as well as donate home-building supplies that are stronger than the straw shacks many of them live in, or whatever they're made of. Do that, and I'm guessing a lot less aid would be needed in the disaster aftermaths.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

14519893_10155174751734041_2760393097766

Forget hurricane categories, look at that radar image.  That's a HUGE area of yellow shade.  VA and even MD, DE and NJ are catching some torrential rains.  Hope anyone at or near the Carolina coast stays safe.  9 deaths in the U.S. so far from this storm.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't know how much this is done already, but it would be a really good idea for extensive humanitarian efforts to be done in between natural disasters, and not just immediately thereafter, to better prepare them for those disasters. For example, charitable groups to build really strong shelters, as well as donate home-building supplies that are stronger than the straw shacks many of them live in, or whatever they're made of. Do that, and I'm guessing a lot less aid would be needed in the disaster aftermaths.

I don't disagree at all. I think every single person on the planet should have medicine, food, water, shelter and education before another bomb is dropped, shopping mall built, etc.

Nobody really gives a **** so there's no money.

My friends charity I keep pushing, goes and builds stone schools and teaches. She just saved hundreds of people with her preemptive efforts.

21,000 kids die every day around the world due to poverty. Until hell rains down on them from nature, nobody cares.

Dirt is an ingredient in their food. They can't just throw an infrastructure together.

I saw a short documentary or 60 minutes piece on dirt cookies being eaten in a super poor country.  That was unbelievable.  How ****ed up, man.  I agree, KB.  Produce a couple less tanks and send some food to them peoples. Damn!

Right now, Hurricane Matthew is producing record breaking flooding in eastern NC.  Dangerous situation.

• Like 1

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=364146503923510&id=100009844897166

This video is nuts. I think it's old tsunami footage, but damn.

Update from Haiti.

Update from Mandy early this morning:

She now has limited communications through facebook messenger on her phone, however I will encourage everyone not to clog up her communications as she's still needing to conserve battery and has much to do.

The island is starting to dry out, so they are able to walk around again and are resuming the swim clinic (the reason for this particular trip to Haiti).

The school roof is fixed, and they hope to put the solar panels back up today, after which there should be better communications.

They have food for now, but due to the destruction of crops Ile A Vache will be facing famine over the coming months. The donations received will be put to use as needed.

The bees, installed on the island during Mandy's last trip with Toni Downs, survived the storm!

No word yet on whether her trip will be extended.

14 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Right now, Hurricane Matthew is producing record breaking flooding in eastern NC.  Dangerous situation.

Not to bring politics into a heartbreaking situation, but they DID vote to use their disaster relief funds to defend their bathroom bill. 

Not that Pat McCrory (as a former Duke Energy exec) cared about his constituents' toxic water, either. 

You get what you vote for.  Enter the Fed to help...and then they'll complain about THAT. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Not to bring politics into a heartbreaking situation, but they DID vote to use their disaster relief funds to defend their bathroom bill. 

Not that Pat McCrory (as a former Duke Energy exec) cared about his constituents' toxic water, either. 

You get what you vote for.  Enter the Fed to help...and then they'll complain about THAT. 

But, Bruce Springsteen cancelling a concert in Raleigh is a big big deal.

#moronseverywhere

• Like 1

Death toll in NC is 9, combined with GA and FL it's 15.

Haiti is at 877 at the moment.

And there it goes, the wrap-around didn't happen.  Good, gtfooh.

14517628_1179952138736931_81604203740034

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1