Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

He was sentenced to 4 years in jail.   Not just given a leave of absence, or fired, or sanctioned.   he was sentenced to jail  

And i don't think a "regular person" would've been sentenced to as much as 4 years for that level of assault.  (which is appropriate, because he not only assaulted, but abused authority to do so)

heres a story about the case

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/07/tased-in-the-chest-for-23-seconds-dead-for-8-minutes-now-facing-a-lifetime-of-recovery/

apparently, it wasnt the drop at the end that did the damage, it was the fact that he got tased for 23 seconds right in the chest.

and his dad was a cop. makes it even more puzzling why he didnt cooperate. one would say maybe he felt like he was above the law, given his dads position. the kid had several run-ins with the police, apparently one with this very cop months before. 

again, none of this excuses the cop tasering him for 23 seconds or dropping him on his face. 

The article you posted makes it sound like everything the kid did was lawful. I'm not sure why you think he should've cooperated with an officer who was unlawfully attesting him. (As presented in the article anyway.)

It sounds to me more like the officer had a personal grudge against him since the boy's family called him out on an illegal search.

The article you posted makes it sound like everything the kid did was lawful. I'm not sure why you think he should've cooperated with an officer who was unlawfully attesting him. (As presented in the article anyway.)

It sounds to me more like the officer had a personal grudge against him since the boy's family called him out on an illegal search.

Just talking specifically about him not rolling down the window or getting out of the car despite being told, I believe, 4 times to do roll the window down and 10 times to get out of the car.

Not sure about the initial reason for the arrest as to whether that was lawful. The article is definitely giving the kids side if it. I'd like to hear the rest of the story before drawing too many conclusions, other than the cop was unquestionably wrong (one would think) for tasing anyone for 23 seconds- particularly since the kid wasn't a threat once initially tased- and for dropping him on his face.

Still, if it was an unlawful arrest, you have to take that up with the department later in court. Just not cooperating is a bad idea.

Edited by grego

Just talking specifically about him not rolling down the window or getting out of the car despite being told, I believe, 4 times to do roll the window down and 10 times to get out of the car.

Not sure about the initial reason for the arrest as to whether that was lawful. The article is definitely giving the kids side if it. I'd like to hear the rest of the story before drawing too many conclusions, other than the cop was unquestionably wrong (one would think) for tasing anyone for 23 seconds- particularly since the kid wasn't a threat once initially tased- and for dropping him on his face.

Still, if it was an unlawful arrest, you have to take that up with the department later in court. Just not cooperating is a bad idea.

I've heard that passenger window wouldn't roll down any further. But I've seen multiple times that rolling your window all the way down is unnecessary and not a lawful request. Maybe that is a state-by-state law, and I'm not sure where this took place. 

He rolled the window down. He just didn't roll it down all the way. You are not obligated to do so. All the officer needs to be able to do is see you and any passengers clearly. The officer never felt threatened or he would not have walked up and reached both hands inside. He committed a crime and now he does the time. As it should be.

• Like 1

My first thought was that the windows appear to be tinted (pretty dark) and he wanted to see inside the car. (he had arrested the kid recently, I think, for weed and probably suspected he had some in the car.)

I have no idea what the laws are if the windows are tinted and you can't see inside. I'd assume you have to roll it down if the cop asks but I have no idea.

A buddy was telling me you can put your license and registration in a baggie along with a note saying you have nothing to say, and asking if youre under arrest and if not, are you free to go?

Wonder if that works?

A buddy was telling me you can put your license and registration in a baggie along with a note saying you have nothing to say, and asking if youre under arrest and if not, are you free to go?

Wonder if that works?

Had a friend tell me (decades ago, in Virginia), that he had been advised by an attorney that, if you get pulled over, and you're drunk, that you should pull over, refuse to roll down your window and refuse to speak to the cop in any way. 

Said that, legally, if you were in your car, and you're not moving, then supposedly you have almost the same rights that you have when you're in your house.  And that one of those rights is that they can't come in and get you without a warrant. 

Supposedly, if you refuse to get out of the car, then the cop has to radio back to the station, and they have to get a magistrate or a judge out of bed, and the cop has to swear out a complaint against you, and the judge has to issue a warrant, and then they have to drive the warrant out to your location, and then they can come in and get you. 

(And, the attorney said, if you haven't sobered up enough to be legal, when that happens, then God help you, cause they're going to throw the book at you.) 

I kinda filed that away in the same category:  "You try it.  Let me know how it works out." 

• Like 1

If you are not technically over the limit. Waiting will insure that you are, as the alcohol gets deeper in your system. 

I did hear a story of keeping a pint in the console and downing it when you were pulled over and the car was shut off. I doubt very seriously if that works though. Guess it depends on the lawyers, cop and judge. Too many variables...i'll just let someone else drive me home or stay where I am at. Sounds expensive too. 

http://m.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/the-real-reason-why-oakland-fired-its-police-chief/Content?oid=4826701

The Real Reason Why Oakland's Police Chief Was Fired

A sex scandal with police brass at multiple agencies, leaked undercover investigations, botched oversight by Sean Whent — Mayor Libby Schaaf got it wrong.

At this morning's press conference announcing the departure of Oakland Police Chief Sean Whent, Mayor Libby Schaaf and City Administrator Sabrina Landreth told a room full of reporters that Whent was resigning for “personal reasons.” The mayor said it had nothing to do with a scandal involving rookie police officers who sexually exploited a minor, or the suspicious death of a police officer's wife and his subsequent suicide.

“I’m extremely angry about the alleged misconduct in this department,” Schaaf said.

But the mayor and other city officials are either not being forthright about the extent of OPD officer misconduct and the reasons for Whent's resignation, or they are in the dark.

The Express has learned that the sexual-misconduct scandal involves more than just a few rank-and-file Oakland cops, but also high-ranking officials from departments throughout the Bay Area. A few committed statutory rape of the victim, who was an under-age sex worker at the time, and informed her of undercover police operations.

According to interviews with the victim, elected officials, and sources close to OPD, in addition to documents obtained by the Express, at least fourteen Oakland Police officers, three Richmond Police officers, and four Alameda County Sheriff's deputies had sex with the girl who goes by the name Celeste Guap. (The Express is not publishing Guap's real name because she was a sexually exploited minor when the abuse began.)

Three Oakland police officers committed statutory rape of Guap when she was under-age. She says all of the law-enforcement agents who had sex with Guap knew she worked as a sex worker.

According to text messages between police officers and the victim, at least three OPD officers leaked her confidential information about undercover prostitution stings. One Oakland cop obtained police reports and criminal histories and shared them with the victim, which is against department policy. Guap also said she slept with cops as a form of protection.

Despite the mayor’s claims, multiple city sources say Whent was forced out by Independent Police Monitor Robert Warshaw, who is responsible for overseeing OPD's progress with its 13-year-old federal reforms, and who hand-selected Whent to run the department in 2014.

The monitor recently learned that Whent's wife, Julie, knew of Guap's relationship with officer Brendan O'Brien as far back as June 2015, according to multiple sources.

This March, Warshaw discovered that Whent also knew about O'Brien’s sexual relationship with the underage girl. Sources with the city and inside law enforcement say Warshaw put OPD Deputy Chief John Lois in charge of the sexual-misconduct investigation — and ordered them not to report to Whent, but directly to him.

Edited by visionary

Grant County sheriff, deputy botched arrest in 'egregious abuse of power'

JOHN DAY -- A deputy protected his relatives from blame in a random shooting by arresting the 911 caller who reported it, resulting in a foul-up that raises fresh questions about embattled Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer.

The district attorney didn't pursue a case, instead rebuking Palmer and his deputy. The county quietly paid the caller $12,000 from its insurer to fend off a lawsuit.

"This incident is the most egregious abuse of power I have ever seen," said attorney Edie Rogoway, who represented the arrested man.

The botched arrest comes to light as Palmer faces a state criminal investigation for allegedly tampering with official records. He also faces a state administrative investigation into whether he's fit to retain his police certification.

Palmer gained national notice earlier this year for his sympathy for militants who took over the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. He considers himself a "constitutional sheriff" and vows to protect citizens from abusive government.

In the shooting case, Palmer approved the arrest and later promoted the deputy to undersheriff, his second-in-command.

Police records, video and audio recordings and dispatch logs show that Jim Koitzsch, 57, was at home with his two dogs, watching television, when the gunfire started. A neighbor heard it, too.

Koitzsch had stepped onto the front porch of his isolated Grant County home the evening of Jan. 26, 2015, to see who was shooting. Out of the dark, he said, a round whizzed past his head.

"I almost got hit," Koitzsch told the dispatcher, according to a recording. "I need an officer up here."

Mobley, with the sheriff's office since 2006, responded to the call, telling dispatchers he knew the people along the gravel lane that threads up a small canyon on John Day's west side. Just four homes line Terrance Road.

Recorded on police video, a shaken Koitzsch described the shots – four, a pause, and then four or five more. He pointed up the hill toward the house across the road as the source. He said he couldn't see anybody.

"Are you're absolutely positive it came from right here?" Mobley asked, gesturing toward the home.

"100 percent," Koitzsch responded.

It was the home of Terry and Leann Coalwell. Leann Coalwell is the sister of Mobley's wife. As he responded to the call that evening and before meeting Koitzsch, Mobley talked by phone to his 15-year-old niece, who told him she had heard no shots, according to the deputy's report.

After questioning Koitzsch, Mobley excused himself to talk to a neighbor who heard the shots.

But before reaching the neighbor or going to the Coalwell house, Mobley called Palmer.  

According to his written report, Mobley told the sheriff that only kids were home at the Coalwells, though he didn't say how many or their ages. He said they didn't have access to guns, which were kept in a safe. His report doesn't say how he established this.

"Sheriff Palmer told me to go ahead and arrest Mr. Koitzsch," Mobley wrote in his report. "I told Sheriff Palmer that I was checking with him because I wanted to make sure it wasn't a conflict since the Coalwells are my family."

He would later arrest Koitzsch for initiating a false report, a misdemeanor with a penalty of up to a year in jail.

Click on the link for the full article

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/texas-teen-pool-party-police-charges_us_576c3e97e4b0dbb1bbb9ef1a

Texas Police Officer Who Manhandled Black Teens At Pool Party Will Not Face Charges

A Texas grand jury has decided not to indict McKinney Police Officer Eric Casebolt in the manhandling of a black teenager at a pool party last June.

After police responded to disturbance calls at Craig Ranch North Community Pool, a cell phone video caught Casebolt yanking 15-year-old Dajerria Becton to the ground and pulling his gun on two other teens.

One of the teens, Miles Jai Thomas, told The Huffington Post that the cops showed up after a fight between two adults and “started cursing and yelling at us.”

Following national backlash to the incident, Casebolt resigned. The Texas Rangers began investigating the case and, in January, gave their findings to the Collin County District Attorney’s Office, which presented them to a grand jury.

“The Casebolt news is not surprising,” said Kim T. Cole, the attorney representing Becton’s family. “We are currently in a day and time where the very people who are sworn to enforce the law are not held to uphold the law — and that has got to change.”

The McKinney Police Department will hold a meeting with community leaders Monday, the department announced.

Edited by visionary

• 2 weeks later...

If the cop who shot Alton Sterling is not formally charged with murder by Friday I don't know what to say.

That was nothing short of an execution style killing.

And if Louisiana is a death penalty state, it needs to be a capitol case. 

If the cop who shot Alton Sterling is not formally charged with murder by Friday I don't know what to say.

That was nothing short of an execution style killing.

And if Louisiana is a death penalty state, it needs to be a capitol case.

But he said "he's got a gun!" That makes murder legal right?

• Like 1