Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

Noting that there's supposedly dash cam footage of the confrontation, but the news story only shows a few seconds of it. 

Looking to see if the entire footage is on Youtube.  But "Catherine Brown" gets a whole bunch of hits, but the only one that fits seems to be this news coverage. 

Hopefully, there's something more to this story.  (But I wouldn't put money on it.) 

Larry, 

What more are you expecting to see from this? I'm trying to see how someone can poke holes in her story, because for some reason we have to do that, and I'm coming up short. 

The bottom line really is, was Catherine Brown at threat with an eight year old and an infant in the backseat? Was the response from the officers, and their behavior, warranted in any way? 

Regardless of what the full dashcam footage shows, which let's face it, dashcam footage can miss a lot....we can agree that dismissing charges usually means those charges were trumped up bull****. And in every case where outrageous charges are dismissed, and officers are claiming the victim dragged them when they had no ability or opportunity to do so, it always ends with the officers being revealed to be bigoted ****s who never should've been allowed to wear the badge in the first place. 

Los Angeles Cop Resigns Over Racist, Sexist Forwarded Chain Emails

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s chief of staff, Tom Angel, has resigned, the Los Angeles Times reports, after the paper obtained chain emails Angel sent during his time with the Burbank Police Department filled with racist, sexist, and otherwise bigoted jokes.

The emails published by the Times were heavily fixated on Islam, supporting profiling tactics, criticizing “political correctness,” and listing 20 reasons “Muslim Terrorists are so quick to commit suicide” (e.g. “Towels for hats,” “Constant wailing from some idiot in a tower,” and “You can’t wash off the smell of donkey”).

The emails were sent in 2012 and 2013, when Angel was deputy chief in Burbank. He’d been hired to reform the department, which had been accused of brutality, racism, and sexual harassment.

After his emails were made public as a result of a public records request, Angel, a public official, lamented that his emails should be subject to such requests. “Anybody in the workplace unfortunately forwards emails from time to time that they probably shouldn’t have forwarded,” he said. “I apologize if I offended anybody, but the intent was not for the public to have seen these jokes.”

Click on the link for the full article

Dumb question:

Should a cop be fired, for making racist jokes?  Or should it take more than that? 

(Although, I have to say that there's something, is "deeply ironic" the right phrase?, about a cop forwarding jokes like that, when he's been hired to reform a racist, sexist, department.) 

Now this is the type of policing I knew and loved in the neighborhood growing up.

Homeless man found not guilty

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-terre-johnson-opd-charges-dropped-20160120-story.html

Cop was investigated and punished with...the mighty oral reprimand.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-terre-johnson-officer-reprimand-20160311-story.html

No updates on whether the officer was rubber or glue and if the oral reprimand stuck or not.

• Like 5

Dumb question:

Should a cop be fired, for making racist jokes? Or should it take more than that?

Dumb answer. Cops have just short of the unquestioned right to kill anyone they want, especially anyone considered the "other". You do the math.
  • Like 2

Dumb answer. Cops have just short of the unquestioned right to kill anyone they want, especially anyone considered the "other". You do the math.

Maybe they should be required to take annual lie detector exams to determine if they are racist or have racist tendencies.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/televised-police-chase-ends-with-officers-beating-suspect_us_5733a8d8e4b077d4d6f20ee5

Watch the video at the bottom for a better view. Guy gets out, gets on the ground slowly.... and they beat the crap out of him live on the news. I can't even get outraged anymore because no one died. The new normal.

They're thugs with badges. If people watched regular civilians doing that, what would the response be? Must be gang members, thugs, the trash of society. But these are cops, so people use different terms to describe them or just make excuses for their behavior. Looking at some of the tweets in regards to this, and there is a guy basically fine with police using street justice because the guy lead them on a chase. The law is the law, and the police should be the ones upholding more than anyone else considering the authority they've been given. 

• Like 3

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/televised-police-chase-ends-with-officers-beating-suspect_us_5733a8d8e4b077d4d6f20ee5

Watch the video at the bottom for a better view. Guy gets out, gets on the ground slowly.... and they beat the crap out of him live on the news. I can't even get outraged anymore because no one died. The new normal.

Until officers are actually punished for abusing their powers and assaulting someone like this nothings going to change. Hopefully the public pressure from all of these videos continues to build to the point that we actually hold police officers accountable for their actions.

Too many people tend to give the police a pass excusing it because the guy broke the law/ran. Ignoring the fact that if the criminal gives up peacefully the police have no "right" to be violent. Their job is to arrest, not beat a guy because he made them mad that he ran from them. If he ran its up to the DA and a jury to convict him for running from police in addition to whatever other charges they are bringing against him.

• Like 1

Are we supposed to believe that the chopper cameraman zooming out as soon as they start beating the man who on the ground that has surrendered was coincidence?

That person should be charged as well.

Not following...

I think he means the cameramen zooming out as soon as the beating started was no coincidence. Which I agree with. I do disagree on charging the cameraman, as I'm not sure what he did was criminal and but I am sure there was a producer screaming "PULL BACK! PULL BACK!!" In his ear.

Not following...

Like Gamebreaker said.... it seemed awful convenient that the camera was zoomed in, with fine detail, showing you absolutely everything. Then the cop starts beating the man who's surrendering, and all the sudden the camera zooms all the way out to a level that makes it impossible to determine what is actually going on.

It went from: You can clearly see this man is being abused

To: Well now the cops can claim he was resisting, or somehow a threat.

And the second one would irrefutable if there wasn't this close up of the guy coming in with his fist and subsequent punches right before he zoomed out.

What's the motive for that? I can't think of one other than not wanting to have the abuse so clearly visible.

I don't know what that camera mans position or relation to the police is. Sometimes those choppers are close with the local law enforcement, as they help with situations. I don't know what you could charge him with, but to me it seems obvious what he did and there should be some consequence for it.

And I'm normally one of the first people around here to jump in and defend the cops if I see a reason to do so. I err on the site of their job being hard, stressful, and very dangerous and I normally find people who criticize them to be completely lacking in regard for that. But this is a clear abuse of power. It's as bad as the one a while back where the guy is getting on the ground and the cop comes up and just kicks him straight in the face for no reason.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

I'm assuming he didn't want the vicious beating to be streaming on live television, probably pretty graphic/intense.  Would've been nice for lawsuit purposes, though.  

The thing is, only the last 4 or 5 years have cops really been exposed for all the crap they do because everybody has camera phones these days.  But this **** has been going on for decades (and centuries if you wanna get cute about it).  

I'm just saying, police have been bullying folks and getting away with it forever.  Not that people haven't complained about police abusing their power and excessive force in the past, but for the first time in history, their stories can now be seen and heard because some random dude pulled out his cell phone.  The 1% of jerk cops that make the other 99% look bad are finally being caught in the act.

• Like 3

I'm assuming he didn't want the vicious beating to be streaming on live television, probably pretty graphic/intense.  Would've been nice for lawsuit purposes, though. 

I feel like that's the job of the producer in the control room though, not the cameraman. I feel like the cameraman's responsibility (if not to their profession, then to society) is to capture what is going on there.

At least that's the justification we get for putting them in war zones with special access, or when the embed themselves with criminal organizations for short periods, or how we view them when they lose their life. Or what they say when something like 9/11 happens and instead of helping people they pull out their camera.

• Like 1

I feel like that's the job of the producer in the control room though, not the cameraman. I feel like the cameraman's responsibility (if not to their profession, then to society) is to capture what is going on there.

At least that's the justification we get for putting them in war zones with special access, or when the embed themselves with criminal organizations for short periods, or how we view them when they lose their life. Or what they say when something like 9/11 happens and instead of helping people they pull out their camera.

Well yeah, but the producer has contact with them in the air. He may have very well told them to zoom out not to capture a beating live on TV.

• Like 1

People always make the excuse for cops that "they patrol the worst neighborhoods, always in fear..." etc etc etc....but what about the actual citizens that live in those neighborhoods?  Would they be afforded the same right(s) to be paranoid and fight first due to having to deal with the same bad neighborhoods every day of their lives?

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 3

People always make the excuse for cops that "they patrol the worst neighborhoods, always in fear..." etc etc etc....but what about the actual citizens that live in those neighborhoods?  Would they be afforded the same right(s) to be paranoid and fight first due to having to deal with the same bad neighborhoods every day of their lives?

Even better(or worse depending on how you look at it) with the amount of times police officers are bending the law in these neighborhoods, are you surprised when a suspect tries to flee and leads the police on a chase? This never happened to me, but two of my very best friends had guns pulled on them by DCPD over a brake light being out. I've known them all my life and they've never ever committed a crime. Never been arrested for anything or even hung around people who would. But these two officers asked for license/registration on a brake light incident, and drew their guns, pointing them at their heads because the driver couldn't find his registration fast enough. 

It also reminds me of the Cincinnati cop who shot that guy in the head, and subsequently lied saying the victim tried to run him over. If you feel your life is threatened, "fight or flight" can kick in and people will try to flee a potential beatdown or murder when they know it's happened before. 

On Aug. 19, 2015, 24-year-old Jamycheal Mitchell was found dead in his cell at Hampton Roads Regional Jail in Virginia. New revelations last week about how state officials acted in the aftermath of his death and a $60 million lawsuit filed by his family this week have shown that the state’s treatment of Mitchell—in life and in death—was somehow even more horrific than previously detailed. Multiple official investigations later—and with the videotape of his last days in prison conveniently erased forever—the official line appears to be that “the system” was to blame. So, there’s apparently nothing to see here folks. Until the next time.

Mitchell, who according to his family suffered from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder for most of his life, had been arrested four months prior to his death, for stealing a Mountain Dew, a Snickers bar, and a Zebra Cake from a 7-Eleven. Mitchell was denied bond, he was awaiting trial, and a judge had twice ordered him moved to a state mental health hospital, but no beds were available.

So Jamycheal Mitchell spent 101 days in jail while he waited for that transfer, evidently starving himself to death over the weeks and months he remained there. A jail officer found Mitchell lying dead in his bunk on that Wednesday in August, his feces smeared all over the walls and his urine on the floor of his cell. When he arrived at the Hampton Roads Regional Jail in May, Mitchell weighed 182 pounds. He weighed 144 pounds during a post-death examination.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2016/05/what_happened_to_jamycheal_mitchell.html

Last month, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported that video images captured outside Mitchell’s cell in the days and hours leading up to his death had been automatically erased, according to jail protocol. The jailhouse system automatically tapes over footage 18 days after it is recorded, but Mitchell’s family lawyer had requested that it be preserved. And even if it had not been requested, how can it possibly be appropriate for officials to erase footage of an inmate who has died because of alleged abuse and neglect? Lt. Col. Eugene Taylor III, an assistant superintendent at the jail, told the Times-Dispatch that the video was not preserved “because it did not show any type of criminality or negligence.” Good to know.

I wish the rest of us could do that.  Sorry officers but I disposed of all the evidence you've requested because after examination we've determined that my friends and I engaged no criminal and negligent behavior, I'm sure you understand. 

• Like 1

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2016/05/what_happened_to_jamycheal_mitchell.html

I wish the rest of us could do that.  Sorry officers but I disposed of all the evidence you've requested because after examination we've determined that my friends and I engaged no criminal and negligent behavior, I'm sure you understand. 

The cops should have no control at all over those systems, same with body cams or dash cams. Way to easy for that kind of **** to happen.