Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

I'm wondering if he didn't get a beating from his fellow officers for the incident.

St. Louis cop Russian roulette death: Lawyer for alleged shooter calls it 'tragic accident'

An attorney for the St. Louis police officer charged in the Russian roulette death of a fellow cop last week called it a “tragic accident.”

Police say Officer Nathaniel Hendren, 29, shot Officer Katlyn Alix, 24, in his apartment early Thursday in the presence of a third officer. They say Hendren and Alix were playing Russian roulette.

Alix was shot in the chest. She was pronounced dead a short time later.

Hendren was charged with involuntary manslaughter and armed criminal action. He was hospitalized shortly after the incident Thursday until being taken into police custody Monday afternoon.

“The death of Officer (Katlyn) Alix was a tragic accident that has unalterably impacted the lives of everyone involved,” Newton said in the first public comments defending Hendren. “I urge the public, as well as members of the police department, to wait until the investigation is complete, and all of the facts have been presented, before coming to any conclusions about what they believe happened that unfortunate morning.”

Newton told USA TODAY that Hendren was injured on the morning following the shooting. He declined to provide details of the injury. A booking photo released by police showed a bruise below Hendren's left eye. His cash-only bail was set at $50,000.

08d90c0c-3835-43c1-97af-d3ad5c0bce2c-Hen

Police said Hendren emptied the cylinder of a revolver and then put one round back in.

He spun the cylinder, pointed it away and pulled the trigger, police said in a probable cause statement. But the gun did not fire.

Alix then took the gun, pointed it at Hendren and pulled the trigger, police said. Again, it did not fire.

Police said the third officer present, Hendren’s partner, told Hendren and Alix “that they shouldn’t be playing with guns and that they were police officers.”

“He felt uncomfortable with them playing with guns and didn’t want to have any part of it and started to leave," police said in the probable cause statement.

Hendren took the gun back and pulled the trigger, police said.

As Hendren's partner left the room, police said, he heard a shot, police said. Alix was struck in the chest.

Hayden said they used police radio to report an "officer in need of aid" and drove Alix to St. Louis University Hospital. She was pronounced dead soon after arriving at the hospital.

Click on the link for the full article

Portland Police Sergeant to Cops: ‘If You Come Across a Black Person, Just Shoot Them’

This story begins at the end.

It begins at the end of the life of 17-year-old Quanice Hayes. It begins on Feb. 9, 2017, when Portland Police Officer Andrew Hearst pulled the trigger on his AR-15 and pumped three bullets into Hayes’ head. Hayes had a gun. It was “justified.” The end.

Even though it later turned out that Hayes’ gun was a toy; even though none of the police officers saw a gun; even though Hayes was on his knees surrendering when he was shot; even though Hearst himself testified that he did not see a gun before he fired, he was still cleared of any wrongdoing by a grand jury because...aren’t they always?

According to the Oregonian, on Feb. 12, three days after Hayes was killed, Sergeant Gregg Lewis was instructing Portland Police Department’s Central Command on how to place civil holds on intoxicated suspects and take them to a detox center. Lewis explained that they should determine their actions based on the kind of person they encountered. As he explained what they should do when they encountered a drunk person in a suit and tie versus when they encounter a homeless person, someone noted that people were still mad about the extrajudicial killing of Quanice Hayes, so they should be careful, to which Lewis apparently responded:

“If they are black, just shoot them.”

Isn’t that just hilarious?

Another officer reported that Lewis said, “If you come across a black person, just shoot them,” while others said they were uncomfortable with Lewis’ remarks and offered varying accounts to a lieutenant.

To their credit, four officers reported the racist joke to a supervisor by the next morning. The Portland police commissioner called Lewis’ remarks “patently racist.”

Then Lewis was no longer working at the Portland Police Department. The end.

I’m kidding—he wasn’t fired.

What actually happened was...

Lewis kept his job for another year. He insisted he was just joking, explaining that he has a “habit of sometimes being a little sarcastic.” Lewis defended himself by saying it was unfortunate that his comment about shooting black people “is being colored as a racial thing.”

“I remember saying, and I thought it was kind of funny in light of the stupid conversations in the media,” Lewis told investigators. “So you know, unless it’s a black guy, then we just shoot them.”

Finally, on Feb. 2, 2018, almost a year after joking about shooting black people to a group who sometimes shoots black people, Lewis was fired. His termination letter (pdf) specifically mentioned the comments from the roll call, noting he violated department policy on discrimination, harassment, and decorum. The letter added that his high rank exacerbated the situation. This should definitely be the end of the story, but it’s not.

Of course, Lewis hired a lawyer because...don’t they always?

The lawyer wanted to take Lewis’ firing to arbitration and get him reinstated. The city attorneys determined that there was a chance that Lewis could win, so the City of Portland decided to settle with him. They offered to expunge his firing, give him $100,020.53 in back pay, put him down as “retired,” and allow him to draw his pension.

All the whites agreed this was the most prudent path. All they needed to do was to get the city council to sign off, and the people who Gregg Lewis joked about shooting and killing would pay him a nice pension for the rest of his life. And since the “whitest city in America” had an all-white city council, it looked easy.

Then Jo Ann Hardesty ****ed everything up.

Jo Anne Hardesty is not with the bull****. Hardesty is a Navy veteran who was one of the first women to work on board naval ships. Hardesty grew up in Baltimore. Hardesty is the daughter of a longshoreman. Hardesty is an activist.

And Jo Ann Hardesty is a black woman.

Click on the link for the full story

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Holy. Effing 💩💩 China! Thanks for posting that. This article just gave me life! Big ups to council member Hardesty. Isn’t it always a black woman?✊🏽✊🏽✊🏽

Im tryin ta tell you. The minute we elect one President ****s gonna get real good for everyone. And dont let her be someones mama

• Haha 2

On 1/31/2019 at 8:02 PM, China said:

Portland Police Sergeant to Cops: ‘If You Come Across a Black Person, Just Shoot Them’

This story begins at the end.

All the whites agreed this was the most prudent path. All they needed to do was to get the city council to sign off, and the people who Gregg Lewis joked about shooting and killing would pay him a nice pension for the rest of his life. And since the “whitest city in America” had an all-white city council, it looked easy.

Click on the link for the full story

Story is also highlights a problem with unions. It’s pretty obvious that the police wanted to fire him right away. But it took over a year for the process to play out, then, once he did get fired, because of the police union, they felt they had to pay him an extra hundred thousand dollars to make sure he was never a cop in their city again.

lol...  “All the whites”...  The author goes for the most narrative supporting assumption of motives.

1) From what i can find about the shooting, it doesn’t seem justified though i wasn’t able to find video. He was wanted in connection for robbery and car jacking. Was hiding in some bushes, got out on his knees and was shot in the head.

2) The guy made a racist joke (or was it a joke) about shooting black people.

3) Cops immediately complained to their supervisors.

4) Police officers unions make firing crappy police offers difficult. It took a year for the process to play out.

5) The racist cop was fired, but because he was in a union and could fight the firing, he did.

6) The city chose to settle rather than pay their lawyers, and risk paying all his court fees, (which would add up to several hundred thousand of dollars) and be stuck with having to rehire a racist cop because, as the author of the story already wrote about, the juries who would hear the case are mostly sympathetic white people who might find in the racists favor, again.

7) He didn’t hire a lawyer, the police union did.

Here is a less racist account of what actually happened:

https://reason.com/blog/2019/01/31/portland-cop-told-subordinates-to-shoot

said:

Holy. Effing 💩💩 China! Thanks for posting that. This article just gave me life! Big ups to council member Hardesty. Isn’t it always a black woman?✊🏽✊🏽✊🏽

But, with all that being said, it is actually refreshing for someone to stand up and call bull****, so Hardesty deserves a lot of credit.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Psst...started a thread on that yesterday:

Didn't get much of a response, I guess people view that as business as usual at WVU 😄.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Story is also highlights a problem with unions. It’s pretty obvious that the police wanted to fire him right away. But it took over a year for the process to play out, then, once he did get fired, because of the police union, they felt they had to pay him an extra hundred thousand dollars to make sure he was never a cop in their city again...

I’ve pointed out before how the Grand Oligarch’s Party hates unions with a passion, except for the ones that consistently support them, i.e. FOPs. Dems need to propose legislation to gut police and correctional officers’ unions, and put the GOP in the difficult position of opposing union busting efforts.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

I’ve pointed out before how the Grand Oligarch’s Party hates unions with a passion, except for the ones that consistently support them, i.e. FOPs. Dems need to propose legislation to gut police and correctional officers’ unions, and put the GOP in the difficult position of opposing union busting efforts.

I hate all unions,  they had a time and place but as mobile as the work force is now they are mostly used to protect incompetent people.  

A U.S. Army soldier, who had a CCW permit and was legally carrying a firearm, rushed TOWARDS the gunfire to try to save lives.  

He was shot three times in the back by police officers.  Where the **** is Dana Loesch?!

• Sad 1

Confusion and anger after security guard holding suspect was shot by police, video shows

As Jemel Roberson lay motionless in the parking lot of a suburban Chicago bar, patrons stood feet away wailing and yelling at a group of law enforcement officers.

More than a dozen videos released by the Cook County Sheriff's Office this week show the commotion after Roberson was shot by a police officer -- who Midlothian Police Chief Daniel Delaney identified last month as Ian Covey -- outside Manny's Blue Room Lounge in November. One bystander calls police racist, while another tells them to go home.

"Your man shot my man. The police shot security. That's what happened," a distraught security guard tells officers in the parking lot.

It's difficult to make out the conversation between the security guard and police because a man next to them continually cries, "No!" and utters a string of anguished expletives.
The security guard can clearly be heard, however, telling an officer that Covey killed Roberson after being told Roberson was a fellow bouncer. He appears at times to motion toward Covey off camera.

The videos, recorded by police dash cameras, body cameras and bystander cellphones, only show the aftermath of the shooting and not the moment when Roberson was fatally shot. It's unclear whether footage of the shooting exists.

The 26-year-old security guard was on duty at the bar in Robbins, Illinois, when a gunman started shooting into the club. A cell phone video shows bouncers trying to calm tensions near a doorway inside the lounge when a gun appears over a security guard's shoulder and someone opens fire. The camera pans downward amid the chaos.

Witnesses said Roberson stopped the shooter and pinned him to the ground. Shortly afterward, Covey fatally shot Roberson.

It doesn't appear the gunman who fired into the club has been charged.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Chew said:

A U.S. Army soldier, who had a CCW permit and was legally carrying a firearm, rushed TOWARDS the gunfire to try to save lives.  

He was shot three times in the back by police officers.  Where the **** is Dana Loesch?!

Horrible incident, but i’m not sure why the cop should be fired. A guy running with a gun during a mass shooting is probably going to be a police target. There not a lot of time to debate whether an armed person is killing civilians or criminals... it’s a tragedy, but what was the police officer supposed to do?

4 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Horrible incident, but i’m not sure why the cop should be fired. A guy running with a gun during a mass shooting is probably going to be a police target. There not a lot of time to debate whether an armed person is killing civilians or criminals... it’s a tragedy, but what was the police officer supposed to do?

Notice I didn't say anything about the officers actions or asking for them to be charged or arrested.

But why is the NRA not speaking out for this kid? He was a good guy with a gun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Agreed Chew. As much as I'm not a fan of the cops in general, it's really hard to fault the cop in a case like this. However, it highlights the stupidity of the good guy with a gun narrative in active shooter incidents. Unless you're a uniformed officer, the risk is just too high that you'll end up like this poor guy. If there's a mass shooting and I'm carrying, the only way I'll pull out my weapon is if I'm in direct, immediate danger from the shooter.

• Thanks 1