Dan T.

52 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Mostly from personal experience. 

So anecdotal, not researched.

52 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

*cue you saying that's because I am white*

I am not that simple of a person. 

53 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I also give the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.  Just like I believe most people are good until proven otherwise.

I do as well. The problem is that if we know there are bad officers who are doing corrupt things or using excessive force, etc. Instead of those "good officers" coming out and either stopping it or making sure those bad officers get in serious trouble, they stay quiet and hide behind that "blue wall." I thought "Stop Snitching" was what goons from Baltimore did, but cops apparently abide by it too.

*cues stupid borderline comment from you:*:

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So to answer your question, I've done about the same amount of research to think most police are good as I have to show most black people are good.

7 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I do as well. The problem is that if we know there are bad officers who are doing corrupt things or using excessive force, etc. Instead of those "good officers" coming out and either stopping it or making sure those bad officers get in serious trouble, they stay quiet and hide behind that "blue wall." I thought "Stop Snitching" was what goons from Baltimore did, but cops apparently abide by it too.

I believe those cops that see bad things being done and don't say anything are just as bad as the cops that did the bad thing.  I just haven't seen any proof to think that either make up the majority of law enforcement. 

8 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

*cues stupid borderline comment from you:*:

How was that stupid?  I refuse to believe that the majority of a group of people are bad based on the highlighted actions of a few.  The same logic used to paint all police with this broad brush is also who idiot trumpers believe all immigrants are bad because a few committed crimes. 

13 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I am not that simple of a person

Your posting history says otherwise. 

15 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I believe those cops that see bad things being done and don't say anything are just as bad as the cops that did the bad thing.  I just haven't seen any proof to think that either make up the majority of law enforcement. 

no, but when you have seen is law enforcement stay quiet on those things. What you haven't seen are police whistleblowers.

15 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

How was that stupid?  I refuse to believe that the majority of a group of people are bad based on the highlighted actions of a few.  The same logic used to paint all police with this broad brush is also who idiot trumpers believe all immigrants are bad because a few committed crimes. 

When have you seen police whistleblowers? When have you seen police officers say there was excessive force used? When have you seen officers say murder is justified? I may be wrong, but I honestly cannot cite one time an active police officer has done that. When you can point to immigrants, black people, or whomever as a whole staying quiet when they see crime, then you can make that analogy.

And FTR, I do not believe police officers are bad. But I also do not trust them to act correctly when their fellow officer is accused fo a crime committed on the job unless they have too.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

Doesn't this come down to whether you feel the problem is systematic or not?  The police force, like any other employer is going to contain people who have good & bad intentions, however the problem goes from "a few bad apples" to systematic when the supposed good cops don't feel empowered to turn in the blatantly bad cops.  

Bad systems aren't devoid of good people, or at least good intention(ed) people, however when the system itself is corrupt, that will usually the determining factor in how things are run.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Doesn't this come down to whether you feel the problem is systematic or not?  The police force, like any other employer is going to contain people who have good & bad intentions, however the problem goes from "a few bad apples" to systematic when the supposed good cops don't feel empowered to turn in the blatantly bad cops.  

Bad systems aren't devoid of good people, or at least good intention(ed) people, however when the system itself is corrupt, that will usually the determining factor in how things are run.

Question:

in your heart of hearts if a cop [any cop, anywhere] saw another cop do something unlawful, such as planting/swiping evidence, beating suspects, etc, do you think they would turn that cop in? If they turned that cop in, do you think the other cop would be rewarded, or looked down on, and/or didciplined? More importantly, do you feel that precinct would correct their mistakes if things were reported up the chain, or try to cover it up?

I think the response to any of that would answer ones questions about "Good cops vs bad cops," or maybe just what fits ones standard of "Good".

49 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

What you haven't seen are police whistleblowers.

When have you seen police whistleblowers? .

I guess you would have to want to see it in order to see it.

https://m.ranker.com/list/police-department-whistleblowers-against-corruption/brent-sprecher

https://www.kmblegal.com/whistleblower-blog/police-whistleblowers-could-help-curb-unethical-practices-within-force

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Schoolcraft

https://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2016/06/20/whistleblower-cop-ending-police-code-silence

That should get you started.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Thanks

Now we need more of this. 

FTR, I believe there are good cops but it’s a bad system.

• Thanks 1

I've been sitting here thinking about this conversation and realized I am a bit of a hypocrite.   There is a group of people that I judge s a whole.  I consider the vast majority of the to be thieves, criminals, uncaring ****s who think they are better than everyone else, hypocrites, and wholly unsavory characters. 

Politicians. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Chew said:

"That’s the question I’m asking tonight – if so many cops are good why are there so many videos of them being bad?” Maher questioned."

https://www.newsweek.com/bill-maher-police-brutality-hbo-real-time-bill-maher-980186

There are videos of cops doing good things and bad things. But only some make headlines. We have to be honest about why that is. 

You have to want to see it. Indeed. 

BTW, it is also true that the blue wall of silence is a problem. 

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I've been sitting here thinking about this conversation and realized I am a bit of a hypocrite.   There is a group of people that I judge s a whole.  I consider the vast majority of the to be thieves, criminals, uncaring ****s who think they are better than everyone else, hypocrites, and wholly unsavory characters. 

Politicians. 

That is one that of very few groups I feel comfortable stereotyping. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 4:16 PM, mistertim said:

Bulllllllll****. If a black guy had shot a white female cop, no matter whether he was justified in the situation and was a law abiding gun owner, he would be absolutely dragged through the mud and destroyed by right wing media. She would be painted as a tragic hero and he would be painted as a lawless thug. The only thing they'd be debating is whether or not he tried to rape her before killing her.

Hell, I think if she went into a white woman's apartment instead of a black man's, no way she's not shooting her dead.  

On 9/14/2018 at 6:36 PM, Chew said:

"That’s the question I’m asking tonight – if so many cops are good why are there so many videos of them being bad?” Maher questioned."

https://www.newsweek.com/bill-maher-police-brutality-hbo-real-time-bill-maher-980186

I like Bill and I watch his show every week but what does "so many" mean?  There are over 800,000 law enforcement officers nationwide.

The thing is 1 of these tragic events is too many which is the same thing I try to tell people when an illegal murders an American citizen.

Edited by JSSkinz

On 9/14/2018 at 6:01 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

Question:

in your heart of hearts if a cop [any cop, anywhere] saw another cop do something unlawful, such as planting/swiping evidence, beating suspects, etc, do you think they would turn that cop in? If they turned that cop in, do you think the other cop would be rewarded, or looked down on, and/or didciplined? More importantly, do you feel that precinct would correct their mistakes if things were reported up the chain, or try to cover it up?

I think the response to any of that would answer ones questions about "Good cops vs bad cops," or maybe just what fits ones standard of "Good".

Never seen this one ? 

27 minutes ago, visionary said:

Should we treat illegal immigrants and police officers the same?   I don’t get the relevance.

It means neither should be tolerated to any extent.

Based on the number of crimes committed in 2016 (1.2M violent crimes, 7.9M for property crimes, almost 11M total) I'm going to say the abuse and murder of innocent minorities is a small percentage of that huge amount of crimes.

Once again, that small number is too much, 1 person killed because of their race is too many, just like 1 American killed by an illegal immigrant is too many.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

It means neither should be tolerated to any extent.

Based on the number of crimes committed in 2016 (1.2M violent crimes, 7.9M for property crimes, almost 11M total) I'm going to say the abuse and murder of innocent minorities is a small percentage of that huge amount of crimes.

Once again, that small number is too much, 1 person killed because of their race is too many, just like 1 American killed by an illegal immigrant is too many.

Did you read the article I posted?  The narrative here needs to switch form police violence to widespread serious misconduct.  The US has a major problem that it just doesn't want to admit.  It's not a few bad cops with itchy trigger fingers.  The justice system is overflowing with corruption and malfeasance.  The poor face a kangaroo court where they're jailed for extended periods of time without any establishment of guilt.  Prisoners die and no one is held accountable.  Citizens are killed and brutalized on the streets and rarely is anyone held accountable.  Innocent people are going to jail and again no one is held accountable. 

Instead of accountability we just have civil settlements.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Did you read the article I posted?  The narrative here needs to switch form police violence to widespread serious misconduct.  The US has a major problem that it just doesn't want to admit.  It's not a few bad cops with itchy trigger fingers.  The only reason the justice system has any credibility at this point is because the vast majority of Americans have no idea how it works and lack the interest or attention span to read the in depth reports of just how bad it's become. 

I just read it and I don't find that article tells us anything we didn't already know, whatever the number or percentage of bad cops is, its unacceptable and that's really all that matters.

The Rampart division was much worse than anything in that article, it almost bankrupt L.A. and that was almost 20 years ago.

I don't really know how to debate this topic because my main issue is not the issue, I know police brutality is a problem but let's not make things worse than they are by hypothesizing conclusions that aren't based on real data that's being collected by reliable sources and shows the full picture (state by state) not just a small snapshot over a 3 year span in the largest US city or random Youtube uploads a few times a month.

Once again I agree there is a "major" problem but how major? It matters, its bad enough it happens at all but if it's 30%, 40%, or 50% of police officers then we're in code red, I really wouldn't know what to say or do or how I would feel about being an American if I found out the numbers were that bad, but if its 10% or 15% then I think its fixable by changing the leadership and culture of these law enforcement departments.

The two are a big difference, one is within a normal range of dumbassery that you might see in any field and it's fixable and the other is you basically saying that US law enforcement is knowingly colluding on a large scale against the people, that's some serious allegations.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1